What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

It did not matter it was the big and tall section but it's been a long time since I could walk in there and but clothes.

Kev, the recent gains you have made are amazing! I'm so happy for you! It's the little things, going on a walk for 2.5 hours, buying off the rack clothes, two notches down on your belt; these are awesome. They will keep happening too, the more you work at this and the longer you keep at it you will go from walking 2.5 hours to running 10 mins, to 15, to 20, to 30!

Thank you for inspiring many here on their weight loss journey as well!

Today 3423 of 3480. Barely under.

Under is *still* under, Kev!
Sometimes your team wins by a last minute field goal, other times Rivers connects to Allen 3 times and the good guys win by several touchdowns. (ok, I'm a Chargers fan!)
Either way, a win is still a win!

Under is *still* under, Kev!
Sometimes your team wins by a last minute field goal, other times Rivers connects to Allen 3 times and the good guys win by several touchdowns. (ok, I'm a Chargers fan!)
Either way, a win is still a win!

That is very true. My goal dropped by 70 calories with my latest weight loss. The myfitnesspal will recalculates every 10 pounds I drop. I have overall dropped my target by 200 calories by losing weight. 3610 was my original target for losing 1 pound a week, and now it is 3410.

My analogy would be Tom Brady connecting with Edleman for 4 touchdowns (am a Patriots fan).

Kevin, I wish you all the best and hope you can tackle this successfully. But first you have to accept the facts and not be in denial.

Denials in red, excuses in green. Reasons in Black

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by kevdogg329
] its literally taking my life away from me.

I want to lose weight but I struggle with sticking to a routine and cannot afford to join a gym.

whenever I start any type of weight loss I go good for about a week, then it all falls apart.

I am not going to be around too much longer if I do not do something dramatic soon.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by kevdogg329

which keeps the doc visits to a minimum of when I am sick and need meds for healing.

but I don't know if I have the 'why' yet.

I do not know how to cook many items, and those things I know how to cook are bad for me

Also my wife likes to have dinner waiting on me, however I never was taught to eat healthy, so I struggle with liking healthy food.

I do not do a lot of the grocery shopping, so I have access to what my wife gets at the store.

It does not help when the bad food is cheap and the good food is expensive.

I stopped tracking as I was getting disappointed at how much of a pig I really was, and always gave in to my food desires.

While you can certainly start with baby steps, or you can make dramatic changes, the only way you will meet your goal is if you have the will to do it. If you go into anything at half-committed you will fail.
Read the items in green, ask yourself why these need to be so.
Read the lines in red, ask yourself who you are trying to kid?
Read the lines in black. Make more lines in black. Convince yourself you are going to do this. Engage with your wife. Convince her you are going to do this. If she is making your meals she needs to be making you better healthier meals.

I apologize if this comes across as mean. I hope you can see that is not the intent at all! I needed the same conversation with myself on quitting smoking. I need the same conversation with myself on losing weight.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress!

For perspective, this comment is what really got my but in gear and be serious about making the changes I have made. Brutal honesty is what is needed sometimes (honesty is always a good thing)

I was going through the beginning of this thread and saw this post. How many of these lines could be make black today from all I have accomplished these last 49 days (number pulled off myfitnesspal, as I have checked in every day since the start of this journey) I will share my thoughts on these later, but wanted to get your thoughts first :)

Today was 4106 of 3410. Started off with no salad materials. As today was market day. I ended up eating pout every meal. Also last night my wife asked me to make cookies. I forgot how addictive they were. I ended up with a sub for breakfast and lunch. Cookies as a snack as I was not sure of supper and pizza for supper as it was cheap and quick. I ended up going grocery shopping and walked off most the extra calories (was only over by just under 100 including the walking) and we did buy for us a lot healthier forod. No new sweets chips or crackers. I still am determined to keep fighting even with the failure today. I did not lost 35 lbs to give it back on stupidity.

Last edited:
If you are forced to the sub shop, get the 6" rather than the foot-long.
The 6" hot pastrami is 580 calories at Subway... Getting two 6" rather than two footlongs would have kept you under today even with the cookies.
Sub shops are also a HUGE source of sodium, so be careful... go for the chicken or turkey, but even then they are still very high... it's just the nature of all deli meats, as it is their primary preservative.

How quickly are you eating?
Are you giving your body time to tell your brain that it is full?
Personally, I CAN put away a foot-long, but I am miserable after I finish it.
Slow down.
Take a bite, put the sandwich or the fork down.
Chew well, then take a sip of water.

It sounds slow, but what will happen is you will be giving your brain time to realize that there is food heading down. Ultimately, you will eat half as much in the same amount of time.
I know you're under constraints for time with work, but I think if you slow down, you will feel just as satisfied, and more energetic, when you return to your desk.

Continue to think of food as fuel for the engine, not as wax to protect the paint. You already know that more is not better if it is not needed, but you need to use methods that allow your body to talk to itself and recognize when you have had enough.

Also, don't wait until you are hungry before eating. When you're hungry, you will tend to eat too quickly. You know you're going to need to eat a certain number of calories per meal, head hunger off at the pass and eat before you feel the need.

Last edited:
^ this is top notch stuff, especially not eating when your extremely hungry.

I've found that healthy snacks between meals can make eating a big meal almost impossible. Keep hitting those fresh veggies too, they are good for you and take up valuable room in the old fuel tank.

Keep it up, Kev, and today was not a failure…today was a learning lesson.

I would say no more cookies. Sounds harsh, but if they're homemade then they could easily be 100+ calories each. 6 of those bad boys as a snack & you will struggle to stay under your target.
You need to add fibre to your mealtime diet so you feel fuller for longer & won't be so inclined to add so many snack calories.

A cheat I use is to have a boiled egg when I start the morning. It's only a few calories and since it's protein, it gives me a full feeling very easily. The trick is to resist the urge for anything else for 10 minutes until the "full" feeling kicks in. Then, if necessary you can follow up with an apple.

Today was 4106 of 3410.

that number is a little deceiving, as according to your myfitnesspal info you burned 600 calories, and were therefore only over your goal by approximately 100 calories.

that being said, the 4 pieces of pizza you had represents almost 1/3 of your caloric goal (1120 calories).
As not everyone participating in this thread is also accessing your MFP log, perhaps if you also posted your meals for a week or 2, additional suggestions and information to help you or your journey could be made.

keep up the good work, Kevin!

For perspective, this comment is what really got my but in gear and be serious about making the changes I have made. Brutal honesty is what is needed sometimes (honesty is always a good thing)

I was going through the beginning of this thread and saw this post. How many of these lines could be make black today from all I have accomplished these last 49 days (number pulled off myfitnesspal, as I have checked in every day since the start of this journey) I will share my thoughts on these later, but wanted to get your thoughts first :)

Glad to have played a small part in this kev.
Lots of good advice for all in this thread. Turns out I'm much better giving advice than taking. ;)

Congrats on making 50 days of turn your life around change!

If you are forced to the sub shop, get the 6" rather than the foot-long.
The 6" hot pastrami is 580 calories at Subway... Getting two 6" rather than two footlongs would have kept you under today even with the cookies.
Sub shops are also a HUGE source of sodium, so be careful... go for the chicken or turkey, but even then they are still very high... it's just the nature of all deli meats, as it is their primary preservative.

How quickly are you eating?
Are you giving your body time to tell your brain that it is full?
Personally, I CAN put away a foot-long, but I am miserable after I finish it.
Slow down.
Take a bite, put the sandwich or the fork down.
Chew well, then take a sip of water.

It sounds slow, but what will happen is you will be giving your brain time to realize that there is food heading down. Ultimately, you will eat half as much in the same amount of time.
I know you're under constraints for time with work, but I think if you slow down, you will feel just as satisfied, and more energetic, when you return to your desk.

Continue to think of food as fuel for the engine, not as wax to protect the paint. You already know that more is not better if it is not needed, but you need to use methods that allow your body to talk to itself and recognize when you have had enough.

Also, don't wait until you are hungry before eating. When you're hungry, you will tend to eat too quickly. You know you're going to need to eat a certain number of calories per meal, head hunger off at the pass and eat before you feel the need.

Good advice as I eat faster than a vacuum when hungry and as fast as one regularly. I have been trying to pack healthier snacks for work, which has been helping with the junk food binge. Like I said what hurt was yesterday being thrown off as the market day. Got my normal breakfast and lunch packed for today (and a couple of cookies...I know I need to stop eating them, but they are one of my weaknesses especially if I make them from scratch at home like the batch I have been eating the last 3 days :eek:( in the past they would have not lasted this long. )

^ this is top notch stuff, especially not eating when your extremely hungry.

I've found that healthy snacks between meals can make eating a big meal almost impossible. Keep hitting those fresh veggies too, they are good for you and take up valuable room in the old fuel tank.

Keep it up, Kev, and today was not a failure…today was a learning lesson.

That is exactly right. Even though I have made great improvements, I still have work to do. Got apples packed in my lunch today, and my homemade Cesar salad (I told my wife last night that where was something wrong with me as I missed having a salad for lunch the last few days)

I would say no more cookies. Sounds harsh, but if they're homemade then they could easily be 100+ calories each. 6 of those bad boys as a snack & you will struggle to stay under your target.
You need to add fibre to your mealtime diet so you feel fuller for longer & won't be so inclined to add so many snack calories.

That is harsh, but true. I am a cookie monster, who loves a good cookie, and ice cream. I did buy frozen yougurt to help with the upcoming summer ice cream cravings ( more than 1/2 the calories saved by that swap :) )

A cheat I use is to have a boiled egg when I start the morning. It's only a few calories and since it's protein, it gives me a full feeling very easily. The trick is to resist the urge for anything else for 10 minutes until the "full" feeling kicks in. Then, if necessary you can follow up with an apple.

I need to remember that. even if I boil 3-4 eggs, it still is not a lot of calories.

that number is a little deceiving, as according to your myfitnesspal info you burned 600 calories, and were therefore only over your goal by approximately 100 calories.

that being said, the 4 pieces of pizza you had represents almost 1/3 of your caloric goal (1120 calories).
As not everyone participating in this thread is also accessing your MFP log, perhaps if you also posted your meals for a week or 2, additional suggestions and information to help you or your journey could be made.

keep up the good work, Kevin!

I did make mention of walking when I posted the number. The pizza last night was one of those late night I'm hungry and want something cooked NOW moments. I was planning on going home and heating up some leftovers, but when I was driving by, I had the $ in my pocket to get the pizza and crazy bread, and i caved. Simple as that. I can try to post snippets of my meals when I can, but the best way for people to get an accurate picture is to do what you did on MFP if they want to follow me on there (kevdogg329)

Glad to have played a small part in this kev.
Lots of good advice for all in this thread. Turns out I'm much better giving advice than taking. ;)

Congrats on making 50 days of turn your life around change!

Appreciate the help. Also You can do it as well!!!! I know you can if you put your mind to it. That is my major difference: I have determined to make this stick. I am not giving back the 35 lb victory without a fight.

Top Bottom