What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Exactly. It's all about how you deal with adversity.

If I can use a sports analogy, some teams will crumble and become demoralised if they make a bad play, give up a goal or three, or whatever. The are "fragile". It is so easy to break their will.

Other teams and athletes are great at "getting back up" and pushing back even harder.

And in this fight I need to keep doing that. I did not lose 35 lbs to throw in the towel! Put me back in Coach, I have more to give!

If I understand the numbers, your goal is to hit the number (3480 here) in order to keep up with your hoped-for weight-loss schedule. Just hitting your goal at all is "mission accomplished" ... anything below is (pardon the expression) gravy!

True, but the goal dropped since that post to 3410 :eek:) That is a good thing to have, a shrinking goal as the weight comes off :)

Today sucked, but oh well. At least those cookies tasted good, right?

Fair enough ... pobody's nerfect ... file it and forget it.

Tomorrow, you prove your resiliency, get back on the horse, and hit your numbers.

Back on the horse....even though I made some AMAZING COOKIES from scratch :thumbup:

(they are gone now thanks to family :biggrin: ) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

BTW - My wedding ring is feeling looser than at the beginning of this journey. I might have to get a chain for it in the near future. (or buy a new one..as my current one is tungsten and cannot be resized).

inspired by kev, back on my own bus to get down from 230 to 200 by year end.

Restarted MFP after hiatus. Ate poorly yesterday as driving from SC to PA.
Today I ate sparingly and did boatload of gardening. Too busy to eat much. Energy out was greater than energy in. No wonder I'm beat :)

inspired by kev, back on my own bus to get down from 230 to 200 by year end.

Restarted MFP after hiatus. Ate poorly yesterday as driving from SC to PA.
Today I ate sparingly and did boatload of gardening. Too busy to eat much. Energy out was greater than energy in. No wonder I'm beat :)

Good for you!!!! Keep us posted on the progress.

Today was 1770 of 3410. Coming down with cold

Good for you!!!! Keep us posted on the progress.

Today was 1770 of 3410. Coming down with cold

Sorry to hear about the cold, Kev. Try to drink plenty of water or tea to remain hydrated- you may lose your appetite when you have the cold but be careful not to pick up lots of extra calories with sugared drinks.

Sorry to hear about the cold, Kev. Try to drink plenty of water or tea to remain hydrated- you may lose your appetite when you have the cold but be careful not to pick up lots of extra calories with sugared drinks.

true, but when you don't want to look at food, and need something to settle the stomach, ginger ale or sprite works wonders. I have seltzer water as well, but this morning needed the sugar pick me up.

Try to substitute honey in flavored seltzer if you need something sweet and bubbly.

OR at least get soda with sugar not high fructose corn syrup as the sweetener.

I don't think I have had a soft drink (or any carbonated beverage outside of champagne) in 4 years now.

Don't miss them one bit.

The problem with a virus (cold) is that it just takes time to for your body to fight it off. About the only thing that can speed this up is to raise your body temp above what it is doing on its own (lots of blankets and sweat it out). This only drops the virus duration by 1 maybe 2 days tops.

OR at least get soda with sugar not high fructose corn syrup as the sweetener.

Unfortunately, that is getting harder and harder to do.... https://www.yahoo.com/food/whats-the-deal-with-mexican-coke-82926083330.html

I don't think I have had a soft drink (or any carbonated beverage outside of champagne) in 4 years now.

Similar here. Sprite/7-up are still tolerable, but dark drinks tend to make me gassy and give me one or two bouts of the runs... even a single can will cause gas and I don't dare have any on a road trip.
Fortunately, I was raised under the hard and fast rule "Only one coke a day"
I always assumed mom had that rule because of the cost, because, being a Depression Baby, she complained about the cost of everything, but regardless of her reasoning, I'm glad she did because I never became "addicted" to soda. Nowadays, I'll see people walking down the street drinking from a 2L bottle as if it is a regular can... that's crazy.

So I drink primarily iced tea, coffee with breakfast. Whiskey has replaced beer as my evening alcohol (I'll still have a beer to cool off when working on the yard or the car).
Sugared, carbonated drinks are something that I have only when they are the only option.

Iced tea was the drink in my childhood, unsweetened with lemon in a tall iced glass. I recall getting to have an RC when we visited relatives but other than that I don't recall drinking any carbonated beverages until I was in my 20's and then that was mostly beer :001_smile

Unfortunately, that is getting harder and harder to do.... https://www.yahoo.com/food/whats-the-deal-with-mexican-coke-82926083330.html

Similar here. Sprite/7-up are still tolerable, but dark drinks tend to make me gassy and give me one or two bouts of the runs... even a single can will cause gas and I don't dare have any on a road trip.
I always assumed mom had that rule because of the cost, because, being a Depression Baby, she complained about the cost of everything, but regardless of her reasoning, I'm glad she did because I never became "addicted" to soda. Nowadays, I'll see people walking down the street drinking from a 2L bottle as if it is a regular can... that's crazy.

So I drink primarily iced tea, coffee with breakfast. Whiskey has replaced beer as my evening alcohol (I'll still have a beer to cool off when working on the yard or the car).
Sugared, carbonated drinks are something that I have only when they are the only option.

I was the opposite. I used to drink 2-3 liters of soda a day since I can remember. I have cut back to mainly 1 12-16 oz soda a day (and many days zero). My wife stopped drinking soda last fall, and since she would not buy it for the house, I learned to cut it out as well. I do enjoy a good cold glass of Coca-Cola with a meal, but I drink more water/seltzer/milk now.

With being sick I got a large Sprite from McDonalds, and that was my breakfast. I had Powerade and Saltines for lunch, just to put something in my stomach and stay hydrated.

I sent you a friend request on MyFitnessPal. Please set it up so others can see your food diary. It helps with being accountable. Also make sure you enter in all food, water and exercise.

There is a lot of good advice on here. Sort through it all and see what will help YOU. what helps me might be different, so do not be afraid to ask questions, or advice.

That will help with the weight loss. The eating unhealthy will take away any gains from exercise. Re-read what I put in red. Read it again. Change that attitude or you will not succeed!! I am speaking from personal experience because I was the same way!

I want you to not change anything this next week and log on MyFitnessPal. I then want you to post your weekly totals, then start to work on meeting your goals. I want an accurate snapshot of your current diet. Might sound strange, but that was one thing that helped me was to see how poorly I eat and then I started this journey.

After a week, post your progress so everyone can help with ideas to help YOU hit your goal.

I am thankful to have never tried a beer, so i don't know that battle. Treat it how I treat soda. I can have one 12-16 of soda max a day. No more. If you want to go to 0, then that is even better.

I would argue that you need to eat a decent breakfast. Yogurt alone is NOT a meal! I used to skip breakfast, then eat 1000-1500 (or more) calories for lunch

Not a problem as I do many posts from my iPhone. I know you can do this as well, and reclaim your life. Whatever we can do to help, let us know.
Kev, you may have a new avatar name soon.....master of the multiquote 2......:biggrin1:... i am number one of course

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
And in this fight I need to keep doing that. I did not lose 35 lbs to throw in the towel! Put me back in Coach, I have more to give!

Bravo.

BTW - My wedding ring is feeling looser than at the beginning of this journey.

Be careful how you say this when you talk to the wife.

proxy.php

I was the opposite. I used to drink 2-3 liters of soda a day since I can remember. I have cut back to mainly 1 12-16 oz soda a day (and many days zero). My wife stopped drinking soda last fall, and since she would not buy it for the house, I learned to cut it out as well. I do enjoy a good cold glass of Coca-Cola with a meal, but I drink more water/seltzer/milk now.

I grew up in a household that, by the time I was a college-aged adult, was in a state of constant supply of fizzy drinks. Pop ... whatever you call it in your regional dialect. I'd stay clear of it when away, but when home it'd be the go-to drink. Eventually, I figured out it was the ultimate definition of "empty calories" and quit altogether.

Today was mostly liquid. 1617 of 3410. I hope this bug goes away soon. Felt better so I ate tonight but now am sick again :(.

It's not just an old wives tale. Try to get some low sodium chicken soup. Throw in some additional carrots and celery. It will make you feel better faster, help hydrate you, and be relatively low cal/low fat.

Feel better soon.

It's not just an old wives tale. Try to get some low sodium chicken soup. Throw in some additional carrots and celery. It will make you feel better faster, help hydrate you, and be relatively low cal/low fat.

Feel better soon.

Ditto.

Wife chops up chicken breast and cooks it up then puts it into ramen.
Sometimes I'll act sick for 2 or 3 extra days because it's so good!

The MFP effect is on.
"Self, if I eat that candy I'll have to log it"
"But self, who's to know?"
"For shame self! No point in tediously logging food if you're not going to be honest!"

The MFP effect is on.
"For shame self! No point in tediously logging food if you're not going to be honest!"

Trust me you will know if you don't log the treat....... It is why you log everything. To know where you need to do better to lose weight. Have a treat, and work it off :). Don't have the treat and enjoy the looser belt :)

The MFP effect is on.

Bingo.

You're doing it for yourself, there is no sense in being dishonest with yourself.

Top Bottom