What's new

2nd shave with my GD

Some folks seem to pick this up quicker. I'm still just doing the side and cheeks. It just feels so awkward in my hands in other parts of my neck. It's not that I'm timid, just that it feels a lot tougher when the blades is on my skin. No nicks. Just doesn't feel like the angle is right, nor do I feel like I am removing as much growth.

one thing I have noticed, and this is probably my fault, but the blade feels so much dryer moving over the lather. I don't feel like my lather is different. Does a SR need much wetter lather?

one positive I am noticing is when I finish with my DE, it is taking fewer passes to get more than a DFS. So many factors involved, and it could be a number of them. I'm sure my lather is fine. Still overwhelmed, but hoping it will get better.

At at this point, I am not enjoying like I do with my DE shaves, but I am getting better at stropping. At this point I am wondering if a Japanese would be more to my liking.

Most SR shavers do prefer a wetter, slicker lather. Some specifically use soaps for this reason. Its really just a matter of finding your path as it were. Good luck and don't give up yet.

Most SR shavers do prefer a wetter, slicker lather. Some specifically use soaps for this reason. Its really just a matter of finding your path as it were. Good luck and don't give up yet.

I tried a super lather. I applied some TOBS to my face, and used some mikes soap to load the brush. It looked like many of my good lathers. My face just seems to dry quicker when I straight shave. I'm sure it's because I spend more time with my pass, but I still reapply areas I haven't hit yet. May sound funny, but it feels like I'm just shaving with a knife and not a razor. That's how different it feels vs using my Jagger or Futur. It's seems odd that I haven't cut myself yet. Am I not being aggressive enough with my angle?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You don't want the Santa Claus beard lather that some of the DE guys are fond of. You also don't want the scuttle overflowing with mounds of fluffy stuff like some of the scuttle guys like either. You want a slick lather that contains less air so that when you scrape it away with the straight it maintains a very layer of moisture/slip/soap on your face- at least that's what I envision when I shave. I use the same amount of product, maybe a little more water, but I spend very little time whipping it up. Once the brush is loaded I apply it to my face, adjust the moisture content a little, and shave. I spend at most maybe 10 seconds builiding the lather?. Everyone is different of course, but if you are the type to really whip up your soap into a lather a little less whipping might help.

You don't want the Santa Claus beard lather that some of the DE guys are fond of. You also don't want the scuttle overflowing with mounds of fluffy stuff like some of the scuttle guys like either. You want a slick lather that contains less air so that when you scrape it away with the straight it maintains a very layer of moisture/slip/soap on your face- at least that's what I envision when I shave. I use the same amount of product, maybe a little more water, but I spend very little time whipping it up. Once the brush is loaded I apply it to my face, adjust the moisture content a little, and shave. I spend at most maybe 10 seconds builiding the lather?. Everyone is different of course, but if you are the type to really whip up your soap into a lather a little less whipping might help.

I dont spend that much time with my lather. Mine is not photo genius lather. I did spend a bit more time loading. Maybe that was my mistake. My shave was outstanding tonight. First pass on sides with the SR. I do think that my jawline is so nice because of the first pass. My fingers just don't feel right with my grip when I try to do a WTG pass on my neck. Muscle memory will help, but I don't want to practice a grip that doesn't feel right.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I dont spend that much time with my lather. Mine is not photo genius lather. I did spend a bit more time loading. Maybe that was my mistake. My shave was outstanding tonight. First pass on sides with the SR. I do think that my jawline is so nice because of the first pass. My fingers just don't feel right with my grip when I try to do a WTG pass on my neck. Muscle memory will help, but I don't want to practice a grip that doesn't feel right.

I forgot about how quickly time flies when you first start to straight shave and the later dries out :smile: I used to lather only half of the face at a time, and even reapply when it started to dry out. Sounds like your lather is fine, as you mentioned in your last post. I used to be the santa claus lather guy myself :lol:.

My first few straight razor shaves weren't as nice as with my EJ89. However after a while you should get the technique/feel right, and then its a very pleasant and relaxing experience. Also providing DFS/BBS shaves. Just takes more skill. Don't give up!

ps. is your razor sharp enough? I am asking this because you mentioned you are only doing your sideburns and cheeks and not getting a nice shave, while those parts should be very easy to do with a straight to get BBS. Below the jaw, next to mouth etc. now those areas are much tougher to tackle.

Last edited:
My first few straight razor shaves weren't as nice as with my EJ89. However after a while you should get the technique/feel right, and then its a very pleasant and relaxing experience. Also providing DFS/BBS shaves. Just takes more skill. Don't give up!

ps. is your razor sharp enough? I am asking this because you mentioned you are only doing your sideburns and cheeks and not getting a nice shave, while those parts should be very easy to do with a straight to get BBS. Below the jaw, next to mouth etc. now those areas are much tougher to tackle.

The first pass is smooth, but not BBS. That is probably my fault. I'm sure the razor is sharp, as I trust the member that I purchased from. I'm learning. Just wish I could narrow down where my error is exactly. Guess that's part of the learning curve. Feels like being on a desert island. LOL

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
One way to isolate the problem is to get a second shave ready razor from someone else. Different honer, different edge. You need more than one razor anyhow.

A good angle to start with is where the gap between cheek and spine equals one spine thickness.

1 pass BBS does not happen for very many.

76GTfan, I've also seen it suggested to use your de first and then use the straight for the final pass.

1 pass BBS does not happen for very many.

76GTfan, I've also seen it suggested to use your de first and then use the straight for the final pass.

I would say with almost 100% certainty that most folks in this world could not get a one pass only BBS shave. Either that, or someone has a very loose definition of what a BBS shave is.... :biggrin1: SAS sure, it is possible depending on certain variables, but BBS? Highly unlikely with only one pass.

No need to worry too much about BBS shaves anyways, especially in the beginning. That would be a recipe for skin irritation when you are just starting out.

Edited: to allow for the .00000001% chance of someone achieving an actual BBS shave with one pass.

Last edited:
I say without any hesitation that no one can get a one pass only BBS shave.
That's actually what I typed first, but then I figured there might be someone with a very light, fine beard that could pull it off by shaving more than the once a month they usually need to :biggrin1:

That's actually what I typed first, but then I figured there might be someone with a very light, fine beard that could pull it off by shaving more than the once a month they usually need to :biggrin1:

Fair enough. In this wide world there are many strange things that can happen. I will edit my comments to stay away from absolutes...

Be sure your edge and stropping are sharp.
Use the HHT or arm hair tests to confirm.
A Lot of my early problems, could be traced to incorrect strop technique.
Next, use a really wet lather.
Don't worry so much about getting all the whiskers.
Just strive to get some of them.
Keep the pressure next to zero, and the angle shallow. For starters, less than 30 deg.
Use skin stretching. Use alum to keep the fingers grippy.

Top Bottom