What's new

How's The .22lr Ammo Supply Out There Now?

I gave up looking locally and instead picked up a Benjamin Maurader in .22 and can plink all day for pennies. Still keeps me shooting.

Is that per some state or federal law or per forum rules? The latter makes sense to me, the former seems to defy the entire premise of armslist and gunbroker.

If you're going to engage in the business of selling ammunition you have to be licensed. If your going to do something so egregious as sell reloads you have to be licensed to manufacture ammunition. If you're going to ship ammunition by common carrier you have to be HazMat certified, and there may be a license.

There's not "one law" like the GCA 68 or NFA '34 that you can point to, so it's really a horrid patchwork of junk. And while you can make the point that it's technically OK for Fred to buy a box of .22 and deliver it to his buddy Ralph, the potential to violate some city/county/state/federal ending in a felony conviction is pretty high between two randomly picked participants on a website. I would put my guess that there is less than a two percent chance it is legal for me to buy and ship you a box of ammo, and a 98 percent chance one or both of us would violate some inane regulation.

Those odds are not odds I would be willing to play, and not odds I would suggest someone play.

Remember that buying stuff from Armslist or Gunbroker usually ship from an FFL to an FFL, even if the receiving FFL is a collector's license. Places like SGAmmo will ship to a private address, but they have all their permits in place as a retailer.

Don't look for it to get any easier.

I would really expect the forum to frown on it. It's pretty much outside the scope of shaving.

Holy cow! Man... Is it illegal to pay you to buy me some and mail it to me??? Haha! Wow!
I don't know that there isn't a legal way to do it, but the path is strewn with legal landmines, so I wouldn't even want to consider going there.
I am stocked up well enough to make the liberal media freak out if they ever knew.
I did an inventory this weekend and am at the same point. As for .22LR in particular, I may have crossed the line from being hapless victom of circumstances to being part of the problem. Thus I'm stopping procurement for not.

Sorry guys, it wasn't a real question or request! I know there's no way it'd be legal and I wouldn't want the risk on either persons end.

I should add - I didn't buy my .22LR or most of my .223 or shotgun shells - I asked around and found people I knew who had stockpiles of it left after the passing of a relative who was the only shooter in the family. Some folks are grateful for having ammo removed from their homes. Sounds crazy I know.

I should add - I didn't buy my .22LR or most of my .223 or shotgun shells - I asked around and found people I knew who had stockpiles of it left after the passing of a relative who was the only shooter in the family. Some folks are grateful for having ammo removed from their homes. Sounds crazy I know.

My Pop was an avid hunter, shooter, reloader. He passed away in Feb 2013, and my Grandma is hoarding everything he had, guns, ammo etc. until she's ready to hand it down to my uncle and me. Sadly, its because she is a real hoarder, like the TV show (without the trash and dead animals, she's still a clean person, but her stuff is her life) and because in her mind, it's all hers now and worth a lot of money, and she'll decide what or if we need to inherit any of it despite what Pop would have wanted. It's a pretty heavy family issue, but we're just being patient with her and not making it a problem.
Sorry to dumptruck that drama, lol, but long story short what you said is true, and in my case spot on if it ever works out.

mrb7, thanks for your reply. I just have a couple comments and then I'll let this thread get back on topic.

I wasn't wondering about buying and selling regularly to take advantage of the shortage and form a business, I just meant a gentleman with access helping another gentleman out. That said, USPS seems not to ship ammunition so you'd be paying Fedex/UPS by weight and it probably wouldn't make much sense anyway.

The gunbroker listings I find for ammunition are typically not FFL holders and note that shipping to an FFL is not required. I'm not trying to imply that indicates it's legal, but if it isn't, the enforcement sure seems to be limited.

So is haberdashery, liquor, and coffee. Are you against those parts of the forum as well?

No. I'm not against guns either. I'm a member of any number of gun forums. As well as a member of several national guns rights organizations, including the big one.

But there are established sub-forums for those other topics. And for the most part they are non-controversial.

Guns are not non-controversial. And the prospect of having a rational gun debate on an internet forum is almost laughable. Look at the tension that's beginning to develop about reclining airline seats. Multiply by 10^9 and you have an internet gun discussion. It would make the Arko and Veg debates laughable.

Now, if the moderators decided to make a gun love or hate section, and be willing to police the cross posters, you might could keep it civil. But even the barbershop isn't the place for those threads.

No. I'm not against guns either. I'm a member of any number of gun forums. As well as a member of several national guns rights organizations, including the big one.

But there are established sub-forums for those other topics. And for the most part they are non-controversial.

Guns are not non-controversial. And the prospect of having a rational gun debate on an internet forum is almost laughable. Look at the tension that's beginning to develop about reclining airline seats. Multiply by 10^9 and you have an internet gun discussion. It would make the Arko and Veg debates laughable.

Now, if the moderators decided to make a gun love or hate section, and be willing to police the cross posters, you might could keep it civil. But even the barbershop isn't the place for those threads.

This sub forum has been here a while and is just fine despite your concern. I know what you're saying about gun forums but again, this sub forum is just fine. Recommend you PM a moderator if you have a real problem with the existence of this sub forum.

It's definitely around here in NY. Don't get me wrong, it goes quick but also it has been coming back quickly as well. Your best bet is to get it off hours like in the middle of the day.
I won't dare say that I have more than a round or two left around for fear of big brother watching. ...

I picked some up from a guy in Fargo that had posted on armslist for not much more than retail+tax.

I also talked to gander mountain in Fargo and they had some in stock rationing it out each day for a week. He said each day it would last until early afternoon. That's much better than I've seen in my town. He even told me the next time they'd have it.

I still don't see it on store shelves very often but I'm not looking very hard. I am glad to see the price of private sales coming down. It is now fairly common to find standard velocity plated stuff for 7 cents/round instead of the 12-15 cents that was common a year ago.

They are in stock at a local shop and I was able to acquire some at two chain stores. They still had some in stock when I left.

Top Bottom