What's new

First Feathering

I've been DE shaving now for about 6 weeks, & thus far have only used Astra SP's. Yesterday, I finally received my first blade sampler pack & being the adventurous man that I am, promptly decided to try the feather's first. I loaded a feather into my trusty Merkur 180 & went to work. I could definitely feel the sharpness of the blade (mainly at the beginning of my strokes, when I have the bad habit of slapping the head of the razor against my skin..), but I didn't feel any need to fear it, after all, the only thing more dangerous than a sharp blade is a dull blade, right?
After my standard 3 pass face shave & 2 pass head shave, I tentatively reached for the AS, expecting to feel a face of fire, but alas! There was virtually no irritation, no weepers, no cuts, & to top it all off, I achieved BBS over 90% of my face & DFS + in my normal trouble areas!!
I'm not sure if this improvement is because of the superiority of the feather, or if I simply used better technique to avoid filleting my face, but I believe this may be the blade for me. I plan to use these for at least the rest of the week to see if my technique degrades & I end up grating my face, but thus far I'm in love!!:001_tt1::001_tt1:

I still want to try the Personna reds & Voskhod before fully committing, but the feathers are definitely above the Astra's in my book.

What people just don't understand is that Feathers are just blades, even though they are very sharp. If you use the same precautions and technique as you do with other blades, then they are no more dangerous than the others--and they give a very fine shave.

On the other hand, some razors might not pair well with Feathers. I would not, for example, charge right in to use a Feather-loaded R41. I would have to practice a lot, first.

What people just don't understand is that Feathers are just blades, even though they are very sharp. If you use the same precautions and technique as you do with other blades, then they are no more dangerous than the others--and they give a very fine shave.

On the other hand, some razors might not pair well with Feathers. I would not, for example, charge right in to use a Feather-loaded R41. I would have to practice a lot, first.

+1

Even though it is doable, Feathers pair better with milder razors, in my opinion. In my R41 I have been using Astras and Gillette Platinum.

All that being said, if anyone has both the Israeli personna reds & Voskhod blades and is willing to part with 2-5 of each, I'd gladly pay the postage + a reasonable fee...

Thanks for the info.....maybe feathers are not as scary as they seem on the forums.

I don't think that they're scary, but I definitely recommend respecting them. I can definitely feel the difference between the Feather's & the Astra's; it seems as though the feathers are considerably thinner and sharper! I've been smart enough to stay focused while using them, & I've only used them in my mildest razor so far.

Feathers: my favorite. :001_tt1:

I've been DE shaving now for about 6 weeks, & thus far have only used Astra SP's. Yesterday, I finally received my first blade sampler pack & being the adventurous man that I am, promptly decided to try the feather's first. I loaded a feather into my trusty Merkur 180 & went to work. I could definitely feel the sharpness of the blade (mainly at the beginning of my strokes, when I have the bad habit of slapping the head of the razor against my skin..), but I didn't feel any need to fear it, after all, the only thing more dangerous than a sharp blade is a dull blade, right?
After my standard 3 pass face shave & 2 pass head shave, I tentatively reached for the AS, expecting to feel a face of fire, but alas! There was virtually no irritation, no weepers, no cuts, & to top it all off, I achieved BBS over 90% of my face & DFS + in my normal trouble areas!!
I'm not sure if this improvement is because of the superiority of the feather, or if I simply used better technique to avoid filleting my face, but I believe this may be the blade for me. I plan to use these for at least the rest of the week to see if my technique degrades & I end up grating my face, but thus far I'm in love!!:001_tt1::001_tt1:

I still want to try the Personna reds & Voskhod before fully committing, but the feathers are definitely above the Astra's in my book.

I gotta say, so far feathers are leading in my book too. I was more then a little intimidated when I loaded my first one; maybe that led to the first good shave because I was scared of too much pressure. But now, I am a bit more confident and they are my go to blades. I have some polsilver and voskhod coming so the jury is still out on whether they will remain at the top!

PM me. I'll send you these and a few others. Don't worry about postage. Assuming you mean Crystals as Israeli Personnas.

All that being said, if anyone has both the Israeli personna reds & Voskhod blades and is willing to part with 2-5 of each, I'd gladly pay the postage + a reasonable fee...

Top stuff mate. Feathers are awesome blade, but not all that forgiving. Got some nice burn last shave, what hasn't happened for a looong time.

I use the Personna Reds often too and find they are still very sharp, but a little smoother and more forgiving. Could be worthwhile giving them a try when you get your hands on some.

I tried Feathers for the first time this week. Not bad but not as good as some people say. My go to is still Voskhod, and its chalet too.

Third shave with a Feather and it's the first time I've been able to shave ATG on my neck with little irritation. I couldn't with an Astra SP or any of the other blades I've tried. I'm impressed with them and and looking forward to trying the Personna Meds to compare.

Cheers!
K

After almost a week of only using Feathers I've found that:
They are sharp, but fragile. I only get 2 shaves (head & face twice) out of each blade. After that, they pull & tug horribly.
The extra sharpness makes me somewhat tentative. There's no need to fear this blade, but a healthy dose of respect is in your skin's best interest. This is good for technique, but bad for every day, timely shaving.

Overall, I like the feathers. Their sharpness leads to excellent, irritation free shaves. On the other hand, they're too fragile and sharp for me to use as an everyday blade.
I definitely intend on keeping these around to use when I absolutely desire a BBS shave; other than that, the search for the perfect everyday blade continues...

I just finished shaving with a Feather, they're awsome. Full BBS, no nicks, cuts or weepers.

@ajbones: You should try Permasharp, they're almost like the Feathers but a lot more forgive-able. On my face they last even longer compared to the Feather. After 5 shaves they're still sharp as hell.

Thought I had found my two best blades in GSB and Labs. Then I found Polisilver SIs were maybe better. And now have I find that Feathers and Voskhods are the best of the bunch. With the feathers there is almost no audible feedback - just a smooth gliding through the whiskers,

Top Bottom