What's new

Bumps on neck after shaving

Hi everyone,

Since shaving my neck with a DE razor (about a month), I've been getting little red bumps when I shave my neck. Interestingly enough, two of my friends shaved their neck with my DE razor the other night and also got bumps the next day much like myself.

What is the reason for these bumps and how do I make them stop?

Thanks in advance!

Clayton

Hey,

I just googled a picture of what it looks like... hopefully this helps!

proxy.php

It's very hard to tell anything from that picture, and probably any picture - but Mblakele is definitely right about trying to figure out whether they are ingrowns or just regular irritation. The solutions for each are slightly different. Try to look at the very closely in the mirror and see if you can see any actual hairs in them that are "growing in" to your skin. Otherwise they are probably just regular irritation.

Either way, this probably comes down to poor technique. Proper prep is very important, as is shaving in the appropriate direction according to your grain growth. That would be With the grain first, and then across the grain if you wish to do a second pass. With irritation like you have, i'd absolutely NOT do an ATG pass for the time being. Be cautious about growth direction, it can change drastically from your face to your neck, so you have to adjust your shave direction accordingly.

Hi everyone,

Since shaving my neck with a DE razor (about a month), I've been getting little red bumps when I shave my neck. Interestingly enough, two of my friends shaved their neck with my DE razor the other night and also got bumps the next day much like myself.

What is the reason for these bumps and how do I make them stop?

Thanks in advance!

Clayton
What is your after shave products and tell us of your shave routine.

So many factors to consider: blades, cream or soap, razor angle, post shave products....ect

I would change 1 thing at a time and see if you can narrow down what is happening.
Hope this helps bud I'm sure you'll figure it of with the help of the B&B community.

Hey guys,

I took a close look and it looks like irritation.

Here is my shave routine: shower first (nothing special, just bar soap for body and shampoo for hair), dampen face with warm water, put on lather (Nivea sensitive skin shave gel, although have used other creams with no better results), proceed to shave face and neck, and then an inexpensive aftershave.

I dont really ally follow any growth pattern on my neck, just pull straight down.

hope this helps :)

I dont really ally follow any growth pattern on my neck, just pull straight down.

Yea, this may be your problem. Try to figure out exactly how your grain direction flows on your neck, and then shave in that direction, WITH the grain (not against). My neck was a disaster back in my early shaving days before I figured this out. Also, what blades are you using? It totally varies from person to person, but my neck actually does much better if I use a very sharp blade like a feather. But you might want to experiment a bit if you haven't already.

Since you started last month DE shaving, besides the razor, what else have you changed in your routine? Also, what kind of razor/blade are you using?

I switched to a DE razor to get rid of those bumps, and it cleared them up within a week. Your issue appears to be technique related. With a DE razor its really a necessity to map your faces hair growth and only shave with the grain for a week or 2. At that point your skin will heal, you will have better technique, then you can get more creative with the shaves in order to get a BBS. It took me about a month initially.

Shaving with a DE requires several passes. A pass is when you lather up and shave your face. You do it 2-3 times per shave with a DE, but it doesn't have to take up anymore of your time than a mach 3 shave once you get accustomed.

I had lower neck irritation for my first week of shaving till I mapped my beard. I was shaving N-S as my first pass but for the neck this was ATG so on my first pass now I do S-N no more neck irritation.

I'm just about to shave and will examine hair to go with the grain, I will update later about it.

I'm using astra SP for the blade and am loving hem. I tried feather, and am actually getting awful shaves with them..... Likely technique, but here seems to be more pulling sensation with feather than the astra. Backwards, I know, because feather is supposed to be sharper.

Don't get hung up on Feathers. Astra SP are perfect newbie blades IME.

Your skin will change a bit over time with DE shaving, don't rush anything or get caught up in assumptions. Go with what works, follow the path of no pain, cuts, nicks, etc.

what blades are you using, i had a problem neck with multi blades razors and when i got my right setup with my DE razor those spots disapeared. i found also that when starting DE shaving i was to attentive and shaved with to little preasure and it seemed that my razor was plucking or bouncing over my neck haires, i know you always hear people advise little to no preasure and that is true but if you feel plucking it might be just down to your blades and techneek (astra sp are very good blade),give yourself time and a sample pack of blades, and also prep very important, a good razor to start with is the Edwin Jagger 89, very forgiving, but don't give up it took me nearly 6 month to get my setup right and now my neck is the best it has ever been.
Paul

I'm just about to shave and will examine hair to go with the grain, I will update later about it.

I'm using astra SP for the blade and am loving hem. I tried feather, and am actually getting awful shaves with them..... Likely technique, but here seems to be more pulling sensation with feather than the astra. Backwards, I know, because feather is supposed to be sharper.

Clayton,

That's OK... There is a blade for everyone. Astras are great blades. I use them too. Tell me something... Since you started DE shaving and started getting that irritation, is there anything else you changed (i.e. soap/cream, aftershave, etc.) besides the razor/blade? Also, what kind of razor are you using for your Astras?

I had same issue on my first couple shaves, wetten up the mixture and dont give the blade pressure. I've also used a nice aftershave for dry skin and oatmeal lotion on my neck and its helped a ton, first and foremost for me was blade pressure though, i was ever so slightly pushing and had the wrong angle of attack. Hope this helos buddy! -S

let us know..............

Hey hey,

So I went with the grain here are the results: I'm finding it very difficult to get close to the skin with it, finding much stubble after. However, technique on the neck is difficult due to the curves so that
l just take time. On the bright side, it does not hurt at all going with the grain which is sweet. There ed marks are still there, but I'm assuming it'll take a few days for it to go away.

I use a merker 180 long handle for the razor and astra sp for the blade.

Marco: so far I have not changed anything since beginning, aside from my shaving cream. The bumps have been there since the beginning of my journey with the double edge razor, though.

Paul: thanks for sharing that it took 6 months to find your setup. I thought I was being too slow of a learner having done it for a month and am still not getting it 100%

ill let you guys know in a few days if anything changes. I'll check to see if there is more advice in the next few days though :)

Glad to hear you are starting to figure it out! And yes don't worry - it definitely can take a long time to hone your skills. You aren't taking "too" long at all.

If you wanted to jumpstart the healing on your neck, skip shaving for 3 days if you can. The red bumps will appreciate it. :thumbup:

Top Bottom