What's new

Has a 3 day growth become fashionable? mini rant

That's a bad analogy, since basketball players don't have to conform to socially accepted dress code.

As much as you're trying to deny it, office workers have certain expectations placed on them and professional appearance is one of them. You dye your hair orange and get face tattoos you're not getting a job in most companies, but the NBA is wide open to you.

Those are extreme examples.

There are plenty of examples that would involve visible tattoos, and dyed hair that wouldn't keep people from getting hired in the workplace, according to the graph.

Last edited:
I have personally turned down jobs that wanted me to shave my mustache and goatee. I also gave an employer the option to fire me over it when they changed policies well into my third year on the job (they didn't). I still have my goatee and 'stache...I see the three-day look in the same light. The dude is probably just as well--if not better--for having not been hired. The fact is, facial hair styling is something that goes in-and-out..and has for thousands of years. Just look at a history book, and see that "clean-shaven" is no different.

I have personally turned down jobs that wanted me to shave my mustache and goatee. I also gave an employer the option to fire me over it when they changed policies well into my third year on the job (they didn't). I still have my goatee and 'stache...I see the three-day look in the same light. The dude is probably just as well--if not better--for having not been hired. The fact is, facial hair styling is something that goes in-and-out..and has for thousands of years. Just look at a history book, and see that "clean-shaven" is no different.

You the man...

When I got out of school in the late 60's I couldn't (for quite a while) get a job with a positive attitude, clean shave, decent suit and I even (I think) told the interviewers I'd work a few weeks for nothing to see if they liked me...but all to no avail.

As I mentioned earlier, times have changed a lot.

Top Bottom