What's new

Platinum 3776 Bourgogne : Pen Review

Platinum 3776 Bourgogne Burgundy Pen

$2014-02-12 22.53.02.jpg

With a typical subtle and understated appearance to the 3776 line, it usually takes one in the hand to really appreciate the greatness of the Japanese pens. This line would fall in line with Pilots Custom Heritage line, or Sailors 1911, in the top tier of the everyday line up, this particular pen would be an entry level to that, similar to the Pilot CH74.

$2014-02-12 22.53.24.jpg

The translucent burgundy body is deep and rich, its not so transparent that you will clearly see the converter inside, but it does add a great depth to the look of the pen, that just screams top notch. A lighter pen body, but still feels incredibly solid, and comfortable, a real preference for me in what I look for in a pen. The gold hardware on the pen look great on the colour choice here, and the finish to them is great as well, over all everything is put together just right to make a well balance appearance and design that is timeless.
$2014-02-12 22.54.13.jpg

The nib on this pen is a 14K Medium nib, like most Japanese pens the medium is close to a western Fine you may find on an american or german made pen. It is smooth and very forgiving to angle and pressure choices, and delivers a line that isnt to wet, but not dry either, on a scale os (Dry)1 - 10(Wet), Id put this pen about a 4, which is right where I prefer my pens, although I did just pop the cart and dont think the feed is completely saturated yet, so you may get more out of this if loading with the converter from a bottle. Absolutely loved the feel of the nib, but it is a stiff nib with no give, it is what it is from beginning to end of line, which isnt a bad thing, just not the most preferable style nib for myself as I prefer a bit softer nib feel.

$2014-02-12 22.56.21.jpg
Overall I could have this pen in my pocket everyday and Be completely happy with it, but it just so happens that this pen has a slip and seal cap, basically the inner sleeve inside the cap that seals against the body of the pen once threaded in, is spring loaded to keep a tight seal when capped. The tests show a pen that can sit for 2 years and still write, I wouldnt do that myself mind you, but I have had pens sit for a week - a month before, so that would not be just a gimmicky feature as it seems useful, not a deal breaker, but something nice to have if already interested in this pen to begin with. The pen does use a converter system, but Platinums converter system is fantastic in my experience. The flow is superb, the converters are built really well, and they can even be taken apart for cleaning and maintenance, which is a great touch.

$2014-02-12 23.16.28.jpg

I love the pen, but as you may read above, im not keeping it as this was the pen for my 10k pick a PIF that Aristeros won. Im certain he will enjoy it as im in love with this pen, and will now seek out a "SF" nib version for myself. Platinum pens are loved by many members here and I can totally see why, shame they dont come up very often when people ask about pens. At a north american retail price of $176.00 it seems like a pen that doesnt offer much value beyond the price point, but if purchased from a Japanese seller you can get this guy (For me quicker then out of USA for some reason as its 3 days to my door) for half the retail or even less as retail from them is between 80-100 dollars on the Bourgogne series, at that price this is a fantastic value and a lot of pen for the money.​

Ive been asking for a platinum pen review since before I was a steward lol, if I brought this pen to my house and sent it out without trying it and reviewing it I never would have forgiven myself, and sure would have heard about it from a few people, so I hope you guys enjoy this one. once again Great pen, super sorry I have to send it out this week, but its for a great member who totally deserves something cool for his really cool entry

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Great review, James. Excellent pen and a wonderful PiF!

Been thinking about one of these and hoped it wouldn't be too much like my Pilot Custom 74. I love the cigar-shaped pens.
What's the length?

Last edited:
Great review. The Platinum SF nib that's available in the #3776 is wonderful, James. I'll be interested to hear what you think after you get one.

-Andy

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
great review and pen. Thank you for putting the effort into this excellent post.

It really is a fantastic pen, I though I was good with pen purchases for a while, but this thing really impressed me, its up there with my Pilot and my Pelikan, I wont hesitate to recommend one to anyone asking for a pen at the 100 mark. Think my tastes are really starting to develope and fall to the Japanese pens as I have love my Pilots, the sailor Doug loaned me and now this Platinum, they are all great writing experiences, man those Nakayas are going to start calling me again lol

Been thinking about one of these and hoped it wouldn't be too much like my Pilot Custom 74. I love the cigar-shaped pens.
What's the length?
One sec Doug im grabbing that for you now. And im not sure how much different this would be then the 74, I can say it has a different feel then my 92, and writes a bit wetter as well, but im guessing you can tune to your own preferences on that anyway, they are very close though.

Last edited:
My scale says 21.5g with a small international cart loaded.. which brings up something I missed, these do use a proprietary cart but comes with an adapter to use international carts

Cap by itself shows 10.4g

This pen for me works great posted or unposted as well, only my 51 and Pelikan M205 can i say that about

Length
Body no cap 4.7 inches
Capped is 5.5 iches
Posted is 6.25 inches

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Still thinking about this 3776, I found a Chartres blue and was wondering if there is a soft nib besides the fine, like a soft medium.

I'm in the same boat. I've thought about getting a 3776 quite a few times, but I've never been willing to pull the trigger.

Likewise.

I came thisclose to picking one up last fall, but instead found a Pelikan M200 Cognac (fine) at a good price out of Japan through Amazon. Since the Cognac was a SE pen a year earlier they were at the time more difficult to find. And the Bourgogne is my favorite of the Bourgogne, Chartres Blue and Black.

Glad to have seen this review as i've recently ordered a 3776 in Chartres blue with a broad nib, very much looking forward to using it :)

Likewise.

I came thisclose to picking one up last fall, but instead found a Pelikan M200 Cognac (fine) at a good price out of Japan through Amazon. Since the Cognac was a SE pen a year earlier they were at the time more difficult to find. And the Bourgogne is my favorite of the Bourgogne, Chartres Blue and Black.

Finally did get a 3776 Century Bourgogne about a year ago (Christmas gift). It arrived about December 1st. It has been continuously inked since its arrival except for one day. I got it with a B nib and haven't been disappointed. Much of the time it has been filled with Diamine Merlot, right now I have Diamine Saddle Brown in it. I purchased it from a Japanese seller on Amazon for about $80.

One of these days I will get one of these pens they all get such rave reviews from everyone and it does appeal to me with looks.

Top Bottom