What's new

Any Runners in the House?

What's the deal with this distance? I think another post on here mentioned a 4.5 miler. I've done a few four milers and plenty of 5 milers. I've never even heard of 4.5 as a race distance.

It was probably me as well, common distance for here in Indy, but I've never heard of them outside this area.

A bit of a cool wave passing through. I"m not usually an early riser but I"m planning on getting up at 5:30 to get 6 miles in before work in the cool morning. Forecast is for temps in the low 50's.

Not bad all things considered. Could have used a cooler day, but I was about 7 minutes per mile. Had it not been so hot I would have pushed harder. But I still had some gas in the tank at that pace so that's good.
Nice job!
A bit of a cool wave passing through. I"m not usually an early riser but I"m planning on getting up at 5:30 to get 6 miles in before work in the cool morning. Forecast is for temps in the low 50's.
If I had temps in the 50s I would do 10 miles. Won't see those temperatures for at least 5 months.

I don't how you guys in Fla do it. In the 10K I ran last Saturday I thought the heat had really spiked up by race time and was kicking my butt, but looking back I see it was *only* 70°F!

I've now been running for just a couple days shy of 2 months and have 138 miles behind me. Dang! I never would have guessed I could do this.

I don't how you guys in Fla do it. In the 10K I ran last Saturday I thought the heat had really spiked up by race time and was kicking my butt, but looking back I see it was *only* 70°F!

I've now been running for just a couple days shy of 2 months and have 138 miles behind me. Dang! I never would have guessed I could do this.

That's awesome! Keep up the great work!

Yeah, the heat can get to a lot of people, myself being one of them!

I am almost officially nuts - some running friends are convincing me to train for the Las Vegas half-marathon in November (and the extra medal by doing the 5K as well). I can walk/jog a 5K currently, and plan on increasing my weekend runs by 1 mile per week. I remember 20 years ago when this was a lot easier!

I am almost officially nuts - some running friends are convincing me to train for the Las Vegas half-marathon in November (and the extra medal by doing the 5K as well). I can walk/jog a 5K currently, and plan on increasing my weekend runs by 1 mile per week. I remember 20 years ago when this was a lot easier!
Be careful, Tepp. Running friends are great enablers but don't always know what's best for you.

If you are going to do this, get a training plan based on your current ability and fitness level. You can look online or talk to the folks at your local running store. You may want to invest in a second pair of shoes and rotate them.

I managed 5.25 humidity-soaked miles last night. Felt better than expected and my pace was appropriate for the temperature.

I managed 5.25 humidity-soaked miles last night. Felt better than expected and my pace was appropriate for the temperature.
I went out for a four mile loop yesterday on my lunch break. Starting out, it was not oppressively hot, but man was it humid. I wasn't really enjoying it. About half way through, the skies opened up into a glorious downpour. It was awesome! I love getting caught in the rain.

Be careful, Tepp. Running friends are great enablers but don't always know what's best for you.

If you are going to do this, get a training plan based on your current ability and fitness level. You can look online or talk to the folks at your local running store. You may want to invest in a second pair of shoes and rotate them.

Agreed on the enabling part. I'm probably going to adapt a 3 day a week training plan with a long run for 1 of the days, mix yoga for general flexibility and injury prevention twice a week, and rest for 2.

Agreed on the enabling part. I'm probably going to adapt a 3 day a week training plan with a long run for 1 of the days, mix yoga for general flexibility and injury prevention twice a week, and rest for 2.
I think running 4 days a week (one day being the long run) would be better. You'll have higher mileage which will increase your strength and stamina. If you are worried about losing flexibility do some light yoga after your runs.

Perhaps you could start out at 3 days a week and build to 4?

Here's another hot shoe deal, IF you're a Nordstrom cardholder.

I discovered that Nordstrom is having their Anniversary sale soon and if you're a cardholder, you can get a "sneak peak" early acces. This is where I found the Gel Nimbus 17, normally $150, for just $99.90! I'm not a cardholder but my wife is so I had her order a pair for me.

They have other brands and models available, but most of the prices are hidden until you login and I wasn't going to have my wife bother with checking other models. If you're a Nordstrom cardholder, it's worth checking out.

8 miles this morning. It was already 75 degrees (plus humidity, so it felt like 80) when we started at 6 a.m. Sadly, this was my "long" run for the week. The heat got to me and I staggered through the last couple of miles.

I think running 4 days a week (one day being the long run) would be better. You'll have higher mileage which will increase your strength and stamina. If you are worried about losing flexibility do some light yoga after your runs.

I agree. I did my first half on mostly 4 days per week. With occasional 3 day weeks to help recovery.

Hal Higdon has solid (free) starter plans to get new runners across the line.

My first half was on 2 days a week with an occasional 3rd. Made it to Boston on only 4 days a week....it just depends on how your body responds to the miles/effort level/rest.
For me, less mileage but with higher intensity is my sweet spot. Everyone responds differently though.

I've never used a training plan because they're always such high volume that it would put me into an over training slump.

I joke with my buddies and tell them I'm going to write a book, "How To Qualify For Boston On Less Than 40 Miles A Week." Lol
Although I did break 40 once I think to qualify. Twice while training for Boston itself haha.

Concur as well...my plan through 10 marathons...

I've started trail running over the last two weeks as a way to up my hiking. I've lost my biking passion this year so this is a good alternative. I'm doing three days a week at around 4-5 miles. Pace is slow but I enjoy it so much more than running on the road. Trying to build slow vs my usual overwhelming desire to go out hard.

I joke with my buddies and tell them I'm going to write a book, "How To Qualify For Boston On Less Than 40 Miles A Week." Lol
Although I did break 40 once I think to qualify. Twice while training for Boston itself haha.

I'd buy that book! I think I'm going to try to run it again next year. Not even close to qualifying but through charity. I was thinking about re-distributing more of the week's base miles across the 3-4 days as opposed to light maintenance week-day runs with the long weekend run. It'll be a bit a of a PITA having to do 7-8 mile runs on a weekday night but I think I still have PTSD from my polar-vortex-era 17+ mile weekend runs.

I'd buy that book! I think I'm going to try to run it again next year. Not even close to qualifying but through charity. I was thinking about re-distributing more of the week's base miles across the 3-4 days as opposed to light maintenance week-day runs with the long weekend run. It'll be a bit a of a PITA having to do 7-8 mile runs on a weekday night but I think I still have PTSD from my polar-vortex-era 17+ mile weekend runs.
Haha, I really do need to sit down and write out some of my weird philosophy.

Yeah this past training cycle usually consisted of a 10k and a 7/8mi during the week then the big sat morning long run followed my another 6-8 miler Sunday. 5 months of that schedule and I was ready get to racing and be done training.

I know what you mean about the polar vortex. We were out in sub zero Fahrenheit several times this winter on long runs let alone the shorter weekday runs. Major ice beards, brows, and lashes. I actually really enjoy winter running but it was getting a bit ridiculous. March 1st I was out running through 4" of unplowed fresh powder...a beautiful scene if it were Dec Jan or Feb...... I hope this winter is a bit more normal after the last 2 record setting winters.

Top Bottom