What's new

Any Runners in the House?

Nice picture, Josh!

Did a slow (for me) 8 miles this morning. Was my first running in about two months. Foot felt good, legs were strong, aerobic capacity was way down.

I've never really been a big fan of running, but decided to get back into it about a year ago....albeit more for fitness and weight loss than as a hobby, but it has since become a hobby. I get bored without a goal, so have decided to do some 5k and 10k's this year. Ultimately, I think I'd like to work my way back to half-marathon shape and maybe do a Tough Mudder. In the mean time, I think I might be able to get a team together to do a Ragnar Relay this fall or next spring.

Has anyone done a Mudder, Spartan, or Ragnar? Feel free to share your experience.

For those not familiar, below are a few of the more common races, but there are tons more

http://www.ragnarrelay.com
http://toughmudder.com
http://www.spartanrace.com

I have done a tough mudder, Spartan, warrior dash, rugged maniac, and survivor mud run. I think that the Spartan races are more of a challenge than any of the races I have done. I've gotten 2 1st place finishes one at the rugged and the other at the survivor. Working towards the Spartan race.

Nice picture, Josh!

Did a slow (for me) 8 miles this morning. Was my first running in about two months. Foot felt good, legs were strong, aerobic capacity was way down.

The cardio is often the first to go, but fortunately it comes back fast.
Glad to hear you're back running again.

I just started running about a month ago. I'm going into a running store today to hopefully pick up a good pair of running shoes. Plantar Faciitis really sucks!

I just started running about a month ago. I'm going into a running store today to hopefully pick up a good pair of running shoes. Plantar Faciitis really sucks!

Good luck! I've been lucky to never had plantar fasciitis but getting properly fitted at a running store might help.

Thanks for the advice. There is a really good running store around here that can give me the info I need. I feel really weird having never owned a real running shoe before.

This is going to sound dumb (because we are talking about running after all, basically all it requires is a willing person, some clothes, and maybe some shoes), but having a proper running shoe makes the most difference of any upgrade you can make. I use to run on sporting-goods-store level shoes and I never realized how much it affected everything, from gait to posture and even desire to run. Once I found the right shoe for me everything changed. It felt like I was running in comfortable slippers.

Don't be afraid to really test them out at the store and often times they'll either have a treadmill to analyze your stride or they'll let you "test drive" them outside (I was running around in my suit as I went there during lunch). And be sure to check their return/exchange policies. Often times they'll have a generous exchange policy and will allow you to exchange them even after a couple of weeks of use. I had to exchange a pair once and it was good to know that I could.

Last edited:

Look into some orthotics too., and maybe take a look at your foot strike as well.

Nah. Keep it simple to start with. You're doing the right thing going to a real running shop. See how things go after getting a good pair of shoes. Just relax and build your mileage slowly. Welcome to the sport.

Yes...runner here. I started off back in school doing track and field sprints and relay, then made the transition after university into long distance. I have over 95 marathons and ultras under my belt....with races in the US (Boston, NY, LA, Chicago to name a few), Sweden, London, Paris, Canada.

Running (not jogging) is something that requires consistency. I run all year round and just dress appropriately for the day. I am not the oh look it's a nice day for a run type, that gets dressed up in all fancy gear with head phones on, looking for attention. If you are serious about running, you need to do it when it rains, snows and hot.....also you need to do hills, sprints, longer runs, and slows.

Breathing goes without saying...in thru the nose, and out thru the mouth. Proper shoes for your feet is also paramount, not designer gear that look "cool". It's not a fashion show.

I finished 1st in my age group and top 5 in this 8km run attached

Attachments

• $kilt run 2.jpg
    $kilt run 2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yes...runner here. I started off back in school doing track and field sprints and relay, then made the transition after university into long distance. I have over 95 marathons and ultras under my belt....with races in the US (Boston, NY, LA, Chicago to name a few), Sweden, London, Paris, Canada.

Running (not jogging) is something that requires consistency. I run all year round and just dress appropriately for the day. I am not the oh look it's a nice day for a run type, that gets dressed up in all fancy gear with head phones on, looking for attention. If you are serious about running, you need to do it when it rains, snows and hot.....also you need to do hills, sprints, longer runs, and slows.

Breathing goes without saying...in thru the nose, and out thru the mouth. Proper shoes for your feet is also paramount, not designer gear that look "cool". It's not a fashion show.

There aren't nearly enough running kilts on this thread!

Your bloody right mate! A kilt was a pre-req for the race, no kilt means you can't take part. It was also bloody hot on this July month, and the race started in the afternoon, with a golf course being part of the route.

There aren't nearly enough running kilts on this thread!

Congratulations! 95+ marathons and ultras?!?!??! Holy cow . . . I thought a regular marathon was more than enough!

You do realize that the guy who ran the first marathon died, right? :laugh:

Having said that, I've ran 2 (both Marine Corps marathons in DC) many years ago. Oprah beat me by 15 minutes . . . oh, the shame . . . admittedly, she had a personal trainer and dietitian . . . :lol:

This is going to sound dumb (because we are talking about running after all, basically all it requires is a willing person, some clothes, and maybe some shoes), but having a proper running shoe makes the most difference of any upgrade you can make. I use to run on sporting-goods-store level shoes and I never realized how much it affected everything, from gait to posture and even desire to run. Once I found the right shoe for me everything changed. It felt like I was running in comfortable slippers.

Don't be afraid to really test them out at the store and often times they'll either have a treadmill to analyze your stride or they'll let you "test drive" them outside (I was running around in my suit as I went there during lunch). And be sure to check their return/exchange policies. Often times they'll have a generous exchange policy and will allow you to exchange them even after a couple of weeks of use. I had to exchange a pair once and it was good to know that I could.

+1,000 on real running shoes. I wear "hybrid minimalist" Brooks PureCadence 4's (just came in!), and have switched to the "very short stride, midfoot striking" style. My knees feel better compared to the traditional cushioned heel/heel striking style.

Roadrunnersports around here has nifty pressure plates you run across to help figure out your stride. Another option is that the lady who sold my daughter her shoes was a physical therapist, and I suspect that she knew what she was doing.

Good advice.
Nah. Keep it simple to start with. You're doing the right thing going to a real running shop. See how things go after getting a good pair of shoes. Just relax and build your mileage slowly. Welcome to the sport.

+1!

Increasing mileage too quickly is a culprit for so many injuries...go slowly and keep posting your progress on here!

Best of luck

Top Bottom