What's new

Any Runners in the House?

Ran my second 10K tonight in 52:42 which is about 6 mins faster than last time. :thumbup1: I was doing some intervals during the 5 to 8 KMs just to work myself a bit harder since I knew I could complete the 10K this time without having to go so slow.

Wow - that's really impressive! Congratulations!

Thanks! Was a bit sore this morning and hard getting to sleep since I ran so late at night and I'm not used to the taxing my system so hard for so long but I'll get used to it and then I'll be moving my distance runs up to the 8 and 10 mile range. :001_smile

I've done the night runs before...they're fun but I have a hard time getting back to sleep after!

Thanks, it's mainly because of this thread that I'm doing so well right now. Without the encouragement I would still be slogging it out to do a sub 28 5K like I've done in the past.

How often have you been racing? You seem to setting PRs every other day. :001_smile

Mission Accomplished! First Half Marathon is in the books! Both my daughter and I finished our 1/2 on Saturday & she did great! Official time was 2:19, including a short break to use the facilities at around the 8 mile mark. Would've loved to get in under 2 hours, but time goals are for the next one. Very proud papa today! :biggrin1:

Congratulations to you and your daughter, Steve!

I've done the night runs before...they're fun but I have a hard time getting back to sleep after!

Pretty much the only time I have to run is at night during the week. Over the last month, I've had to come to grips with the fact it'll be dark when I'm running until April. At least its not too cold out; that'll be the next "come to grips" moment.

Ran my second 10K tonight in 52:42 which is about 6 mins faster than last time. :thumbup1: I was doing some intervals during the 5 to 8 KMs just to work myself a bit harder since I knew I could complete the 10K this time without having to go so slow.

Congratulations, David! I'm running a 10K in three weeks and I'd love to get that time!

Pretty much the only time I have to run is at night during the week. Over the last month, I've had to come to grips with the fact it'll be dark when I'm running until April. At least its not too cold out; that'll be the next "come to grips" moment.

I used to exclusively run in the evenings. A couple years ago I switched to morning runs. So much better! Lately, the last few weeks, I've been swamped in the AM and stuck jogging after work sometimes even after dinner. It's messing with my rhythm.

I am an AM runner, too. I just feel better having put in some miles before work/chores/errands. Plus the fact that I can then put in some time on strength/mobility/soft tissue work later in the day.

How often have you been racing? You seem to setting PRs every other day. :001_smile

Only formal race so far has been the Wellness Challenge a couple weeks back the rest of the time I'm just pushing myself as if I was in training. There is a 5K/10K/Half/Full race weekend this Sunday and I'm debating on doing it but I'm not sure if I'm ready. I could do another 5K but really would like to push my 10K.

I am an AM runner, too. I just feel better having put in some miles before work/chores/errands. Plus the fact that I can then put in some time on strength/mobility/soft tissue work later in the day.

I wish I had the time but I already get up early enough for work so it's just not practical right now. Maybe if I win the lottery...:w00t:

In the near future, I'm going to start doing some running shoe video reviews. I've bought dozens of different pairs over the years so I'll try to go over some and their pros and cons.

I used to exclusively run in the evenings. A couple years ago I switched to morning runs. So much better! Lately, the last few weeks, I've been swamped in the AM and stuck jogging after work sometimes even after dinner. It's messing with my rhythm.

The problem for us is that I get up around 5:30 so these days whether I run first thing or after dinner, I'm running at night. The other thing is that the morning run would limit how far I could go; at least with the evening run, if I decided to add a mile or so, I don't have the time constraints. I do have all my light-up and reflective gear.

In the near future, I'm going to start doing some running shoe video reviews. I've bought dozens of different pairs over the years so I'll try to go over some and their pros and cons.

I'd love to see these! I keep using Brooks' "shoe finder" thing on their site, hoping that it would give me different results than my current shoe (Dyad), but no luck. I had tried a different brand a while ago (Asics, I think) and it just didn't work as well as the Dyad for me. At least the new version has colors! For the last two years, its been a black/gray/white combo.

I'd love to see these! I keep using Brooks' "shoe finder" thing on their site, hoping that it would give me different results than my current shoe (Dyad), but no luck. I had tried a different brand a while ago (Asics, I think) and it just didn't work as well as the Dyad for me. At least the new version has colors! For the last two years, its been a black/gray/white combo.

Unless you're hung up on a brand that a certain unique philosphy or gimmick (ie Newton, Altra, Vibram et al) don't worry about sticking to one brand. All the big traditional companies make a huge variety of shoes, it's not about the brand, it's about the function of each particular model. Some are stablity, some are neutral, some have extra cushion, some have less. There will be Mizunos, Asics or Nikes that are similar to the Dyad and some Brooks shoes that couldn't be further from that shoe.

Unless you're hung up on a brand that a certain unique philosphy or gimmick (ie Newton, Altra, Vibram et al) don't worry about sticking to one brand. All the big traditional companies make a huge variety of shoes, it's not about the brand, it's about the function of each particular model. Some are stablity, some are neutral, some have extra cushion, some have less. There will be Mizunos, Asics or Nikes that are similar to the Dyad and some Brooks shoes that couldn't be further from that shoe.

I'll second Tim's comment...although I understand the mentality of not changing something if it ain't broke. Took me forever to find a shoe with the correct balance. As such, I've been in Sauconys for a long time. As I've aged and run races, I've found the needs of my feet have changed and so now my wife and I both are in the market for different shoes....looking forward to the vids Tim!

Congratulations to you and your daughter, Steve!

Thanks!

Would really like to see this, Tim! I have become something of a running shoe geek over the past several months. Not so much because I want to have a closet full of them, but because I cannot seem to find the one shoe to rule them all. As such, I have worn out the fantastic 90 day return policies of RunningWarehouse.com and RoadrunnerSports.com :blush:

Top Bottom