What's new

Any Runners in the House?

I thought I could get away from stability shoes & had been running for a couple of weeks, including my half marathon last weekend, in a cushioned neutral shoe (Nike Pegasus 31) & thought it was pretty good until a did a quick 5k around the neighborhood last night. Afterward I found that I couldn't put weight on my left knee when I started my cool down jog. Bad pain on the outside of my leg at the knee & couldn't even straighten my leg last night.

A member of my running club thought maybe it could be irritation from the half on Saturday, but I kept my mileage down last week, only totalling a little over 20 miles, including the race. I have logged much more than that in a week before. This was my first run this week, so I have been off for 5 days.

Do I blame the shoes?

I thought I could get away from stability shoes & had been running for a couple of weeks, including my half marathon last weekend, in a cushioned neutral shoe (Nike Pegasus 31) & thought it was pretty good until a did a quick 5k around the neighborhood last night. Afterward I found that I couldn't put weight on my left knee when I started my cool down jog. Bad pain on the outside of my leg at the knee & couldn't even straighten my leg last night.

A member of my running club thought maybe it could be irritation from the half on Saturday, but I kept my mileage down last week, only totalling a little over 20 miles, including the race. I have logged much more than that in a week before. This was my first run this week, so I have been off for 5 days.

Do I blame the shoes?

Wow, sorry to hear about the knee and hope it heals quickly. It could be the shoes but I would think over pronation would show up in shin splints first but it's hard to say. Sounds like you might have irritated the IT band and have a touch of runners knee. How much cushioning do these shoes have compared to your normal shoes?

Wow, sorry to hear about the knee and hope it heals quickly. It could be the shoes but I would think over pronation would show up in shin splints first but it's hard to say. Sounds like you might have irritated the IT band and have a touch of runners knee. How much cushioning do these shoes have compared to your normal shoes?

I would say they are a bit more cushioned than others that I have run in, but not a crazy amount more. I have been running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13's recently, and Asics Gel Kayano 20's before that. The Pegasus is pretty well cushioned, but I am not jumping from a minimalist sole to a cushioned one or anything like that. Offset/drop among all is in the 10-12mm range also.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Ran my first 10k today. Had not been running much the last little while and let my fitness go a bit, so I'm somewhat pleased with a 1:08 and no walking.

Finished my tenth marathon Sunday. Not a PR for me, but not my worst race either...not entirely certain why j run these long distances! LOL

Sorry I've been off this thread for the last couple of days; been hiking in the mountains. Did get a 12 mile run in along the Virginia Creeper Trail. Highly recommended if you are in the area!

ThWould really like to see this, Tim! I have become something of a running shoe geek over the past several months. Not so much because I want to have a closet full of them, but because I cannot seem to find the one shoe to rule them all. As such, I have worn out the fantastic 90 day return policies of RunningWarehouse.com and RoadrunnerSports.com :blush:

That's one of the nice things about having running stores nearby. They all will let me exchange shoes that don't work even several months down the road. Not that I do that anymore since I've found the shoes that work for me, but I still order them from them out of loyalty.

Finished my tenth marathon Sunday. Not a PR for me, but not my worst race either...not entirely certain why j run these long distances! LOL

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, how often do you run them? I think my next level would be to start running marathons consistently, but that won't be for a couple of years until our daughters get a little older. I really liked the discipline that marathon training forced on me and I lost a ton of weight especially toward the end once I finally got my training and my diet aligned.

I'm officially committed as I signed up for my first half marathon today, Jack Daniel's Oak Barrel in April.

Good luck! And sounds like it'll be a good post-race atmosphere. Maybe some of the last couple of water stops might have something more than water in them!

Do I blame the shoes?

Sorry to hear that. So did you run the half in your current shoes? In my experience when I switched from my "go to" shoe (i.e those Dyads that I complain about) to a different, similarly-modeled shoe (I think it was an Asics brand, but now I'm not so sure), I developed issues almost right away. It got to the point where I couldn't run more than a couple of miles without feeling knee pain. I think some of it was my lack of confidence in the shoes themselves so I altered my stride, but they all went away when I exchanged them back to the Dyads.

It could be that you just developed an injury from normal running; like dabrock says, it sounds like the IT band. I've read that its not a question of if a long-term runner will develop some sort of injury, but when. While I've never developed IT band issues (and hopefully I won't), I have had shin splints for a while. I found some exercises that strengthens the calf and muscles associated with shin splints so they went away for now, but I know that without staying on top it they will come back.

If it persists I would recommend scheduling an appointment with a physical therapist. I did it when I injured my knee and developed shin splints and got some great stretches, exercises, treatment plans, etc.

Top Bottom