What's new

Recent Adjustment.

When I use any fountain I post the cap. Recently though I was using my TWSBI 700 Vac I have decided to see how my writing would be with not posting the cap. It made a world difference in my writing. I think I will further experiment with other pens unposted and see what the results would be.

How does everyone write the cap posted or unposted?

I think it really depends on the pen, but generally I write un-posted, with the exception of pens like the TWSBI Mini and Kaweco Sport.

I'm the opposite of Andy. Generally write posted, with the exception of pens that don't post properly (yes, I'm looking at you TWSBI 580). Why do I post? So I don't keep loosing the cap and my pens don't roll away.

I'm not sure how difficult pen design is, but you'd think we could cater for the posters and non posters. Make a cap that fits the barrel securely and doesn't weigh as much as Jupiter, so as to throw the balance off.
But obviously not.
Coyote, do you think the change you're seeing is purely down to the weight shift or is the pen length coming into play too?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have decided to see how my writing would be with not posting the cap. It made a world difference in my writing.

How does everyone write the cap posted or unposted?

Was the difference for the better or the worse? :laugh:

I nearly always write with the cap posted, it helps my writing.

Like others have stated, whether I post or not depends on the pen I'm using. Larger pens like my Lamy Al-Star or Vista, I don't post. Smaller pens like my Lamy Logo, Sheaffer Commandant, or Esterbrook SJ I do post.

Smaller pens get posted otherwise the end of the barrel jams into the web of my thumb. I need the pen to be over 4" from the end of the section to the barrel-end or it has to be posted. And cap-heavy pens don't get posted.

It's a pet peeve that no manufacturer I can think of provides that measurement. FC nicely tells us which pens get top-heavy if posted. Wish more did the same...

Been looking at a 700 in Amber. Orange is my color and it's been calling me.... ;-)

I don't post caps. I prefer the balance of nearly all pens (Kaweco Sport is the exception) without the cap posted. I either hold the cap or set it on the desk in a clear spot where I'm not likely to bump/swat it. I haven't lost a cap yet.

-Andy

Top Bottom