What's new

Cold water shave

So today was the mark of a new era(not really). I decided to go out of my comfort zone and had myself a nice long cold water shave. To be honest it went quite but thought it would be a bad experience. Didn't have any irritation/ nicks, smoother face, felt like I didn't need any moisturizer(but used some anyways) and also felt pretty damn refreshed even though I live in NJ which is cold right now.

So all in all it went very good and will try it again next time i shave. A+++ even thought I still like hot shaves.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I cannot remember the last time I used hot water for a shave.

This is refreshing news. I will be traveling to Haiti in May for a mission trip. I was dreading the thought of a cold shave. Now if I could only get used to a cold shower...

I thought it was going to be worse then it actually looked. It was a little rough at first but then it went fine.

For the cold water shavers....what kind of prep do you do? Do you still take a hot shower or steam towel your face? Or are we talking cold water rinse, cold lather and all?

For the cold water shavers....what kind of prep do you do? Do you still take a hot shower or steam towel your face? Or are we talking cold water rinse, cold lather and all?

I shave before showering as I'm a somewhat enthusiastic lather, if you know what I mean. My prep is pretty basic, fill sink with cold water, soak brush in cold water, decided on soap/cream etc, rub cold water on face, make lather and have at it.

What i did was i took a hot shower and then like an hour after i then shaved. Everything was cold as in lather,rinse, soaking the brush, etc...

To be honest im surprised this isn't practiced more. There is something about cold water shaves that do wonders for your skin. I can't go back to warm water!

Wow!...glad to hear this as I am new to WS and have been doing the traditional hot water shaves for the last 2 weeks. I live in south Louisiana and the summers here are brutal. I was wondering if I'd even go back to electric during the summer as I would rather have infected rope burn than take a hot shower and shave in the mist of summer. I will definitely have to give it a try come the hotter mo's. Right now we are having one of the coldest winters here ever so I'm enjoying the hot shaves.

i like a lukewarm lather (almost room temp) and i rinse my razor with ice cold water. sometimes i use a warm towel sometimes i don't, but i always use prorasos pre shave. i always get irritation when i use hot water.

We don't have hot water to the the sinks here and it's only tipical to light the water heater for showers so cold shaves are the norm. I got a scuttle for winter though as the water is in plastic tanks on top of the houses and it gets below freezing. When it's not cold I prefer a cold water shave.

I always enjoy the cold water rinse at the end of a nice warm shave. The water is out of my tap is ice cold this time of year so it is very refreshing. I might give the cold water shave a try.

i like a lukewarm lather (almost room temp) and i rinse my razor with ice cold water. sometimes i use a warm towel sometimes i don't, but i always use prorasos pre shave. i always get irritation when i use hot water.

Agree. My skin doesn't like temp extremes. Cool water works the best for me.

Top Bottom