What's new

Cheap first pen?

I went to a stationery shop last week and found a collection of lamy. They had a test safari medium nib on display - I was impressed (except for the plastic material and light weight). It was super smooth.
Great nib, but at SGD49, I thought it was "too much" for the light plastic parts (prefer heavier pens). The better and heavier al-star was sold at SGD69.

I went back a second time - and realised that the store must have fiddled with the nib - On closer inspection, I could see the puddle of ink on each stroke - it was super-smooth because it was very wet.

I'm currently enjoying writing my thoughts in a journal. With my 2 fountain pens.
I had thought of retiring the fine nib but after downsizing my 'fonts' a bit, I found the writing to be neat and nice.
My thoughts at the moment, on the fine nib - should I waste the effort to downsize my handwriting to suit the pen (having to retain 2 types of handwriting - crazy, I know), or should I just stick with medium nib with my current font size...:confused1

Having two hand writings is kind of cool. My tremors preclude anything like that. But you may develop multiple personalities. :scared:

I went to a stationery shop last week and found a collection of lamy. They had a test safari medium nib on display - I was impressed (except for the plastic material and light weight). It was super smooth.
Great nib, but at SGD49, I thought it was "too much" for the light plastic parts (prefer heavier pens). The better and heavier al-star was sold at SGD69.

I went back a second time - and realised that the store must have fiddled with the nib - On closer inspection, I could see the puddle of ink on each stroke - it was super-smooth because it was very wet.

I'm currently enjoying writing my thoughts in a journal. With my 2 fountain pens.
I had thought of retiring the fine nib but after downsizing my 'fonts' a bit, I found the writing to be neat and nice.
My thoughts at the moment, on the fine nib - should I waste the effort to downsize my handwriting to suit the pen (having to retain 2 types of handwriting - crazy, I know), or should I just stick with medium nib with my current font size...:confused1

Having two hand writings is kind of cool. My tremors preclude anything like that. But you may develop multiple personalities. :scared:

:lol:
It is kinda therapeutic, writing my thoughts down patiently. Even more so when I am doing it consciously "lettering" style, slowly in my new smaller font.
Kinda like doing tai-chi. Relax. Focus on the letter, not the word or sentence. Write. Breathe. Repeat. And usually end up with -"what was I going to write again?" :lol:

What has improved most is the control of my writing hand - years of typing with computers (and scribbling notes with vpoint pens - office issued - leading to lack of proper writing habit), kinda screwed up my fingers and wrist - most times I can't even read what I'd scribbled (a few days later)

Top Bottom