What's new

Has anyone else here adopted a child?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else here adopted? We adopted our son about 6 months ago from Thailand. He is 2 and we have a biological son that will be 3 next month! We're having a great time!

J

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else here adopted? We adopted our son about 6 months ago from Thailand. He is 2 and we have a biological son that will be 3 next month! We're having a great time!

J

We have not adopted a child but it is always some thing I discuss with my wife . it is some thing i would like to do in the future when I am ready to have kids . the problem is my wife does not want to do it she rather we do all the work for our kids . I always tell her the same thing We can have 2 ourselves and adopt one but she does not even like having the conversation .

On a side note

How was your experience with the adoption . how long did it take you from the time you did the paper work to the time you brought the child home?

Nick

I didn't even know Thailand did international adoptions. Interested to hear a little bit more about that if you feel like sharing some generalities. I'm catching a plane to go visit my 2 year old adopted niece from China tonight - she is such a joy.

No adoptions but we do foster when children are available needing short-term placements. The wife and I were just discussing adopting the other night. Fostering can be a very beautiful experience as well but we do feel both a sense of joy (for the child) and sadness to see them go when the children do get permanent homes.

papasmurf,

It would be difficult to be in a scenario where only one person wants to adopt. Both people need to be committed to this whole heartedly. Also, I truly believe adoption is not for all families and that is OK!

It was an amazing experience for us. It took us about a year from start to finish. We took our 2 year old son with us and it was wonderful to be there together as a new family of 4. We spent 2 weeks there (only had to be there for one, but we wanted to get to know the culture a bit) and it is a beautiful place. The people were some of the nicest I've ever met.

Now that we have been home for nearly 6 months, things are great. It was a little rough at first, but we are all adjusting well and every day is better than the one before. I wouldn't change anything.

It's weird, because we talk about how many kids we want and it is almost a little strange for us to think about having another biological child when there are SO many children that are already here that need a good family. We struggle with that A LOT.

I'll be able to post more details later for those interested.

Jeremy

Scorpion - I bet she is beautiful! How old was she when she came home?

My wife and I have talked about adopting, and we'd do it in a heartbeat if we couldn't have kids ourselves. Our third kid is on the way, but if we ever decided to go for a 4th, I'd certainly think hard about the adoption route.

No adoptions but we do foster when children are available needing short-term placements. The wife and I were just discussing adopting the other night. Fostering can be a very beautiful experience as well but we do feel both a sense of joy (for the child) and sadness to see them go when the children do get permanent homes.

We've talked about that too, but I'm honestly not sure we could handle the emotional aspect of it. The sending them off would do me in!

What a blessing for you and your wife!

J

My mother-in-law had 9 kids, and before we got married my wife and I discussed it and I said I wanted 8 kids total and a 4 boy minimum. She said she wanted 12 so we were a good match. I think our kids will be superior human beings since they will reap the benefits of the genetic masterpiece that I am (not to mention my wife). That said, if we couldn't have kids, we would definitely adopt.

Her aunt and uncle (what is that to me? Aunt-in-law?) had 8 biological kids and recently adopted 3 from Ethiopia....I say good for them.

I would definitely try to work this out with the wife though....this is one of those big type issues that can cause raging emotions/hysteria and really be a big pain. Pick your battles wisely if you pick them at all....I'm not an expert on marriage - only been married a year and a half myself - but we never fight, and have a perfect 2 month old. Our parents were basically the same way FWIW.

Just my two cents....

Austin

My mother-in-law had 9 kids, and before we got married my wife and I discussed it and I said I wanted 8 kids total and a 4 boy minimum. She said she wanted 12 so we were a good match. I think our kids will be superior human beings since they will reap the benefits of the genetic masterpiece that I am (not to mention my wife). That said, if we couldn't have kids, we would definitely adopt.

That was meant to be a bit humorous right? It came off a little strong. Just saying...

As for myself, I'm not near close to having kids, but I think I'd like to have my own. I'm glad people adopt, and there is a need for it, but I don't thinks it's for me.

Well me and my gf have one kid together...She has a litte girl between her and another a**hole, in the future I plan on adopting her....but I think adopting is a nice idea, all depends on what you want I guess.

I have adopted two children. My case is a little diffrent in that they are my wife's children.
When we got married, we had my youngest, now 8. My wife had two children who at the time were 5 and 7. I had been part of their life as a dad figure for three years by this time.
Their dad died 2 weeks before Corey, the younger of the 2 was born.
The odd thing of it all is that I knew their dad, we rode together for a couple years back in my club days. I never met his wife when he was married nor when he died. I was out of state at the time.
Long story short, when my little one was born, I told them they could call me dad and then I made it official and adopted them.
One of the best choices of my life (even if I want to brain the two of them once and awhile)..:biggrin:
All kids need parents. If you have love in your heart, it needs to be shared.

Top Bottom