What's new

2014 Scent/Fragrance of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
by Smell Bent

new spaceship smell, pressurized cabin, jet fuel, and a blast of intergalactic plants and blossoms

What was once a clear liquid in December of 2009 has turned into a peach-colored liquid in the four years since I purchased it. I only wear it about once a year and I'm always on the fence about it. But wear it again I always do. Today I picked up some striking honeysuckle notes on the top, notes I don't think I've ever noticed before. Or if I did, maybe I couldn't finger as honeysuckle. I do recall there was once a very strange "cabin pressure" note, something that reminded me of airlines (Bois d'Ombrie does this to me, too) and a bit of fuel but today I'm getting a slightly rubbery note and something else that smells a bit like Pay-Doh. There is a slightly peculiar "rocket ship interior" note in there but it's not as prominent. It's a fun fragrance to wear but not nearly as enjoyable as some of the other seasonal fragrances. It's a bit light and summery to be wearing on a cold winter day. In a strange way, it reminds me of Accident, also by Smell Bent.

proxy.php

Montecristo
by Masque Milano

Cabreuva, Ambrette Seeds, Rum, Tobacco Leaves, Celery Seeds, Cistus, Benzoin, Golden Stone, Styrax Gum, Gaiac Wood, Cedar Wood, Patchouli

I thinks it's best to start with what I perceived as notes throughout the day: mint, ambrox, smoke, vetiver, vegetal musk, hay, and suede. Nothing came across as animalic to me, as many have said, but funky nonetheless. I get the same funkiness I do from XPEC and Dupetit.com's Musk No. 5, both of which are derived from non-animalic sources and akin to jasmine or tuberose. I love that funky note all the same, but it doesn't evoke animalia to me. Still, Montecristo is perhaps the most unusual perfume I've smelled in a long time. It is composed in a way that juxtaposes the modern and the classic, the mundane and the evocative. I get glimpses of so many perfumes, like a montage of the past six years of perfume, coming and going throughout the day. I think the obvious comparisons are Kinski, L'Arbre, and XPEC, though I also get a strangely ozonic but traditional scent - an oxymoron if I've ever used one. The notes listed for this are nothing at all like I experienced it, although I can see why a lot of those impressions came through. My vetiver is probably in part from the "celery seeds" and perhaps gaiac wood; ambrox from ambrette and something else. I don't really know and it doesn't really matter. Most recently I was getting whiffs of what smelled like a stable, but without the animals. The wood, the straw, the smell of rustico robusto was surprising, providing one of those moments when you're looking around wondering if the person you see waving in your direction is trying to get your attention or someone else nearby. Who me? Yes, that's right. I'm not loving this like everyone else, but I like it immensely and plan to spend some more time with it. It's peculiar, interesting, well-made, and funky. I just wish it was smoother and with a bit more leather.

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom