What's new

January 2014 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a local antiques fair last weekend. I really wasn't planning to buy anything, but came across some old shaving items at one of the booths. I casually said to the vendor, "Nice razors." He shot back, "Ten bucks each - all of 'em. Final price. Take your choice." I gulped. I took them home, cleaned off about 50 years worth of accumulated soap scum, and voila! Not a bad haul for $20.

1963 Gillette Adjustable Slim (I-1); circa 1940 Gillette Tech Fat Handle

$2014-01-04-1.jpg$2014-01-04-2.jpg

After a brief flirtation in high school with an electric shaver, I learned how to do it the right way - first with a Gillette Techmatic (never want to go there again), and then the trusty Super Speed. Found this one on eBay recently - almost minty clean 1976 (W-4), could be the same year as the one I had in college.

$2014-01-12_07-04-36_HDR.jpg $2014-01-12_07-06-11_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Lord Tech with 1 Lord Chrome blade, 5 Bluebird blades, 5 Lord Platinum blades, and 5 green 7 O'clock blades.

Just scored this today! My jaw hit the floor as soon as I saw this. I know these are somewhat rare, but this one I've never seen the likes of. I did a quick image search and only saw 2 others like it; one belonging to someone on SRP I think

I measured and it's at least 1-1/8 from spine to edge. I'll be polishing this to a mirror finish and putting a new set of scales on it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thrift store score.
Super Speed?
Probably high end of user grade. Couple of small small imperfections in plate.
I cleaned it with scrubbing bubbles. Looked the same before and after.

$photo 3.jpg$photo 2.jpg$photo 1.jpg

Last edited:
I just got back from a 'sick day' of treasure hunting in Indianapolis, and have a few vintage, new/old stock items to show off.

I usually only buy Gillette razors, but something [most likely RAD] came over me with these three items:

$image.jpg

The GEM razor is brand new, in the original packaging which I believe may be a bit of a rarity. Image searches and forum searches did not yield any photographs of this particular presentation. Does anyone have one of these?

The Schick injector blades and Colgate shaving cream were impulse buys, as I have little use for the items and I don't think there is much of a market for them. However, I really like the packaging, so I decided to bring them home with me. These items will look great additions to my shaving display.

M89 Silvertip Badger Brush, Razor & Brush stand and chrome bowl, all by Muhle. Very happy. All looks beautiful with my R89.

Just scored this today! My jaw hit the floor as soon as I saw this. I know these are somewhat rare, but this one I've never seen the likes of. I did a quick image search and only saw 2 others like it; one belonging to someone on SRP I think

I measured and it's at least 1-1/8 from spine to edge. I'll be polishing this to a mirror finish and putting a new set of scales on it.

proxy.php

Oh man, my heart skips a beat for razors like that

I received my very first straight razor yesterday. I ordered it from Bob Keyes. It is a restored Ambos Schlager that was, as best as I can tell from looking them up, made between 1925 and 1935. The blade has a few "tarnished" spots on it, but it is in great condition, and it arrived shave ready. I am excited.

$Schlager1-L.jpg
(The shaving edge is not touching the Tabac lid. The spine is).

$Schlager2-L.jpg

Just received, a 1974 Gillette Black Beauty (U-4). Of all the razors I've ever owned, this one was far and away my favorite. It was the model I used for most of the 1980s. Yes, I know the Merkurs are "better", and there are plenty of others you could spend a lot more to have, but for me this is the Rosetta Stone of shaving. Waited a long time to have this one - shopped carefully, didn't do anything panicky or stupid, and got a very nice, clean example. An excellent buy. Can't wait 'till tomorrow morning!

$2014-01-17_17-26-41_HDR.jpg

I got free Feather blades :)
Buy.com sent me $10 in reward dollars, and the 10-pk was $7.99 with free shipping. It was a post-Christmas special but they arrived in January

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom