What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Just tried turning the baseplate around but still a bit of play(although I'm sure I already tried that) , can you tell me if you just put your top cap onto the bottom plate without a blade do you get any movement , mines wiggles around and you can move it a mm ( not much I know ).
Besides that cant' fault the shave , not had a bad one yet.

When I hold the baseplate and cap together with no blade and without the handle there is a small amount of play. Once the handle is screwed down (still without the blade) there is no movement whatsoever on my S1. Same goes for my M2.

Stupid thing had better come with a good warranty, I just dropped $185 on one of those!

You won't be disappointed PMT...the OC's work better for me as far a smoothness and comfort but I have tried all the plates (SB&OC) and I can make any of them work. It is worth it...please post your feedback once you get it.

Just tried turning the baseplate around but still a bit of play(although I'm sure I already tried that) , can you tell me if you just put your top cap onto the bottom plate without a blade do you get any movement , mines wiggles around and you can move it a mm ( not much I know ).
Besides that cant' fault the shave , not had a bad one yet.

The cap and the base plate do wiggle very very slightly. But I have no problem with blade alignment or blade reveals. Both sides look and seem to shave the same.

The cap and the base plate do wiggle very very slightly. But I have no problem with blade alignment or blade reveals. Both sides look and seem to shave the same.

I just got my R2 today and have the same thing. I am very experienced with wet-shaving (going on 40 years) and I was nervous about the slight wiggle, but once I took a few strokes,I realized everything was good and man what a shave. I was BBS faster than any razor I ever used besides my R41 and that was the same shave,except I have to use greater care with the R41. I don't think I could draw blood with this R2 if I tried.

Last edited:

Thanks for checking everyone probably me being too anal because my ASD2 has no movement I expected the same.

Kcnwea I am stationed at Yokota AB. I am now considering the R2 or the slants. I've been using my 37c once more and my technique has improved a lot. I do still get some irritation once I apply the balm but I'm wondering if that could be my shaving cream choice rather than the razor.

Last edited:
Kcnwea I am stationed at Yokota AB. I am now considering the R2 or the slants. I've been using my 37c once more and my technique has improved a lot. I do still get some irritation once I apply the balm but I'm wondering if that could be my shaving cream choice rather than the razor.

Something that helped me is to hold the razor with three fingers like a dart. This helps to reduce pressure that I may unknowingly place on my skin. This method helped me a lot.

You won't be disappointed PMT...the OC's work better for me as far a smoothness and comfort but I have tried all the plates (SB&OC) and I can make any of them work. It is worth it...please post your feedback once you get it.
You were so right my brother, best razor ever for me and so worth the $, I half killed myself on the first shave due to my arrogance, learned to respect this razor big time, beats walking around with a wad of toilet paper stuck to the side of my head!!!

Last edited:
Just bought a used ATT M1 with atlas handle , does any body else have to hold the top plate when screwing on the handle to make sure it has even blade exposure.
The top plate with the two nipples hold the blade with no movement but it seems that the holes the nipples go into are slightly larger so it moves slightly.
Not sure if all of them are like this or I have a duff one.

My M and H plates do the same thing as yours. I just load the blade on the top, clamp the base with my fingers and tighten the handle. I was a little worried/aggravated at first, but it is so natural now, I get a perfect alignment 9 out of 10 shaves, and just adjust slightly before I clamp down on the tenth. Once tightened, I have never had a blade move. My S head locks in perfectly every time. Doesn't bother me in the least anymore. Shaves are too great to worry about it.

You were so right my brother, best razor ever for me and so worth the $, I half killed myself on the first shave due to my arrogance, learned to respect this razor big time, beats walking around with a wad of toilet paper stuck to the side of my head!!!

Glad to hear...it only gets better...

Hi -

I have not ever tried the R2. I have an R1 and a 37c. I find both slightly, too aggressive for my taste. On the other hand I find the ATT, slant, with the solid bar (S1) just about perfect with an Astra SP or like blade. Feathers seem to take a layer of skin no matter the razor or how light a touch.

For what it's worth.

Something that helped me is to hold the razor with three fingers like a dart. This helps to reduce pressure that I may unknowingly place on my skin. This method helped me a lot.

I tried your three finger grip method on those persnickety areas under my chin and I found that I can now do multiple passes on those trouble spots without getting irritation using this method. I highly recommend giving this a try to anyone struggling with pressure issues. Thanks Stan! :thumbup:

I've read about the great customer service but what happens to all of the returned plates, heads and handles? I don't want ANY used parts in a razor that costs this much.

Last edited:
I've read about the great customer service but what happens to all of the returned plates, heads and handles? I don't want ANY used parts in a razor that costs this much. I don't care if they are "refurbished" they are still used goods.

They have a section on their website where they resell returned parts at a (slight) discount. I just figured this out today poking around on the website. The times I visited it earlier I didn't click on the section marked "returns" because I thought that was for if you want to make a return, and my Kronos R1 sure isn't going to be returned!

They have a section on their website where they resell returned parts at a (slight) discount. I just figured this out today poking around on the website. The times I visited it earlier I didn't click on the section marked "returns" because I thought that was for if you want to make a return, and my Kronos R1 sure isn't going to be returned!

Well, that's really excellent! I guess I have no excuses left other than $$.

The hair dryer analogy is almost on the mark. However the vintage Gillettes take this rule and spit in its face. A low cost Gillette can offer an incredible shave. My slim and Gillette Tech (techs can be found for $15.00) offer just as good shaves. That and since they have already lasted 60+ years they have the time to back up the quality statement. Don't get me wrong, if you have the money get an ATT, you'll be glad you did, it's fantastic in every respect, and priced right in comparison with other high end makers.

If I HAD to find something wrong with the ATT is that if you leave a wet blade in, rust will begin to take hold (crevice corrosion). If you then shave and cut yourself, you might open yourself up to some infection. Not a problem if you take the blade out and dry it, or use Deionized water...

Great observations, sir.
However, with all due respect, an alcohol dunk after each shave will fix that issue... alcohol is hydrophobic (doesn't get along with water and moves it out).
I do this even with my replated because of the blade...
Also, CLR on stainless is perfect. If caught early there is no more harm done than taking 0000 wool to the top cap.
Oxidation is no one's friend with any steel...
even stain-less.
With plating CLR can cause problems, but on a stainless razor, there is no issue.
But the whole issue can be avoided by alcohol dunk of the head and drying of the handle.
It's an issue that makes plated razors more desireable, but let's face it, it takes 3 seconds....

Last edited:
Great observations, sir.
However, with all due respect, an alcohol dunk after each shave will fix that issue... alcohol is hydrophobic (doesn't get along with water and moves it out).
I do this even with my replated because of the blade...
Also, CLR on stainless is perfect. If caught early there is no more harm done than taking 0000 wool to the top cap.
Oxidation is no one's friend with any steel...
even stain-less.
With plating CLR can cause problems, but on a stainless razor, there is no issue.
But the whole issue can be avoided by alcohol dunk of the head and drying of the handle.
It's an issue that makes plated razors more desireable, but let's face it, it takes 3 seconds....

I just take the blade out after the shave, and dry everything off and let it air-dry on a washcloth for a couple of hours. Takes about 5 seconds to dis-assemble the razor after a shave. I've been doing this for years and never had an issue.

Top Bottom