What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

This is best shave ive had with a de and I thank is was better than the se. I had a little irritation but I had more with the se and I got close very close to bbs. I used gsb which I've never used. Do y'all thank I will get better with the razor? I can see why the ATT would be your only razor cause its worth the 185$ for a good shave that I can keep on getting everyday. Anybody tried a feather in a s2?

I have been using Feathers in my R1. I also really like Astra SP with it. I'm still trying to decide which one I like better as my preference is to settle on one and stick with it. Leaning toward Feather after using them the past week.

P.S. I did get some irritation after my first couple of days with the R1, using a Feather. I chalk it up to the R1 being noticeably more aggressive than what I had before and needing to adjust to that. I switched to the Astra, which felt smoother, for several days, and the irritation quickly subsided. It hasn't returned after switching back to Feathers, so I think my face and technique have adjusted to the aggressiveness of the R1.

Last edited:
This is best shave ive had with a de and I thank is was better than the se. I had a little irritation but I had more with the se and I got close very close to bbs. I used gsb which I've never used. Do y'all thank I will get better with the razor? I can see why the ATT would be your only razor cause its worth the 185$ for a good shave that I can keep on getting everyday. Anybody tried a feather in a s2?

I've used Feathers in my S2 but prefer Astra SP's. Seems I am more likely to get nicks and weepers with the Feathers, but it's probably technique. With the Astras, I do a little more touch up but rarely have a nick or weeper.

I got my s2 this morning from bullgoose don't know how it got from cal to nc so fast but I'm not complaining. Is the s2 a good shaver?

The S2 is my number one shaver and my favorite ATT head, followed by the S1 and M2. I shave with the S2 every day and usually go to the S1 if I have less than 24 hours growth.

While I think proper technique is paramount some razors work better than others for people. In this regard I would say the S2 works better for your techinque and is generally regarded as a more forgiving razor. I have certainly found that my S1 works very well for my technique and is efficient and smooth. I'm sure that if I dedicated myself to only using a very efficient razor such as an R41 my technique would eventually improve, but I have no need to test this theory as I'm happy with my S1. Glad to hear you're enjoying your S2.

Is it the slant that makes it work? Would a 39c work too?
This is a real YMMV thing. I tried the 39c and found it no better than my other straight safety bar razors and inferior to my open comb razors. OTOH, plenty of people around here swear by it. But I don't think anyone who has tried the ATT slants thinks the 39c can compare to the ATT's.

I truly believe that whatever Above the Tie makes is going to shave amazing. I prefer the R1 and H1 plates, but even the "mild" M1 provides a great shave, just not as efficient at cutting the whiskers. Always a BBS with all of them.

The S2 slant is my next ATT razor. Looking forward to it.

I have been using Feathers in my R1. I also really like Astra SP with it. I'm still trying to decide which one I like better as my preference is to settle on one and stick with it. Leaning toward Feather after using them the past week.

P.S. I did get some irritation after my first couple of days with the R1, using a Feather. I chalk it up to the R1 being noticeably more aggressive than what I had before and needing to adjust to that. I switched to the Astra, which felt smoother, for several days, and the irritation quickly subsided. It hasn't returned after switching back to Feathers, so I think my face and technique have adjusted to the aggressiveness of the R1.

For what its worth, I can use a Feather blade in a vintage Gillette such a Fat Handle Tech with good results. However I get much better results with either my Atlas R1 or Kronos H2 using an Astra blade.

For what its worth, I can use a Feather blade in a vintage Gillette such a Fat Handle Tech with good results. However I get much better results with either my Atlas R1 or Kronos H2 using an Astra blade.

Thanks, Stan! I must tell you that the first time I tried an Astra in my Kronos R1 I immediately thought "Oh, so that's why Stan packages the razor with these!" The Astra did perform and feel great. It may very well win out for me--I used Astras for a week and a half and went ahead and ordered 100 since I found them on Amazon for $10. But I wanted to give the Feathers another chance because I have a couple hundred of those stockpiled (and I won't be using any other razor from now on--I hereby waive my 30-day return right :001_smile). I'm still on the fence and will be giving the Astras another run. There's a very good chance they will prevail.

O.K., it's official: after this morning's shave with one, Astra SP is my blade of choice with my Kronos R1. Best shave since I started DE shaving, which means it really must be the best shave of my life so far. Stan, thanks again for your razors and guidance on blades!

O.K., it's official: after this morning's shave with one, Astra SP is my blade of choice with my Kronos R1. Best shave since I started DE shaving, which means it really must be the best shave of my life so far. Stan, thanks again for your razors and guidance on blades!
Awesome bro! Love mine too!

stra SP is my blade of choice with my Kronos R1.

Great news! You picked a great blade among a host of great blades we are fortunate enough to have available to us. I use this very blade in both my EJ89 (which, interestingly enough, hasn't seen any use since I got my Atlas R1) and my Atlas R1. It works great in both.

Best yet? It's about the cheapest blade you can buy at about $11/100. It's always nice when the best choice for you is also the most cost effective. A win all around!

Great news! You picked a great blade among a host of great blades we are fortunate enough to have available to us. I use this very blade in both my EJ89 (which, interestingly enough, hasn't seen any use since I got my Atlas R1) and my Atlas R1. It works great in both.

Best yet? It's about the cheapest blade you can buy at about $11/100. It's always nice when the best choice for you is also the most cost effective. A win all around!

I agree, the Astra SP is a great blade. It's forgiving and delivers a good shave at a spectacular price when bought in bulk - what else can you ask? :lol:

Awesome bro! Love mine too!

High five!

I agree, the Astra SP is a great blade. It's forgiving and delivers a good shave at a spectacular price when bought in bulk - what else can you ask? :lol:

Agreed! And after shelling out enough for a couple or three high-end electric razors getting started, I think I'm finally at the point where DE shaving is going to be really cheap for me from here on out. And I do mean that seriously since I'm happy sticking with the same routine most every day, and my soap of choice for it is Williams. My only regret is that I didn't discover DE shaving years ago. Oh well, better late than never. :001_smile

High five!

Agreed! And after shelling out enough for a couple or three high-end electric razors getting started, I think I'm finally at the point where DE shaving is going to be really cheap for me from here on out. And I do mean that seriously since I'm happy sticking with the same routine most every day, and my soap of choice for it is Williams. My only regret is that I didn't discover DE shaving years ago. Oh well, better late than never. :001_smile

Yep, this is the first day of the rest of your life... :lol:

After reading all the great things about the ATT and in particular the S2, I pulled the trigger and ordered an S2 from ATT a few days ago. I can't wait for it to get here : ) I have been shaving with a 37c for the last 6 months, but occasionally need to take a break and go to a EJ DE89 to rest my face. I am a big fan of slant razor shaving and am hoping the S2 will be smoother than the 37c.

The Astra SP is my blade of choice so that should work out nicely with the ATT given the posts to that effect.

Thanks for all the great posts. It helped me a bunch.

Top Bottom