What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Great observations, sir.
However, with all due respect, an alcohol dunk after each shave will fix that issue... alcohol is hydrophobic (doesn't get along with water and moves it out).
I do this even with my replated because of the blade...
Also, CLR on stainless is perfect. If caught early there is no more harm done than taking 0000 wool to the top cap.
Oxidation is no one's friend with any steel...
even stain-less.
With plating CLR can cause problems, but on a stainless razor, there is no issue.
But the whole issue can be avoided by alcohol dunk of the head and drying of the handle.
It's an issue that makes plated razors more desireable, but let's face it, it takes 3 seconds....
Great timing, I just started having that issue, alcohol dunk starts tonight!

Up til now I have only rinsed my razor, leaving the blade in, and let it air dry. With that said however, I do change blades after the second shave and clean/rinse and dry everything then. I also like to blow into the opening at the top of the handle to remove as much residual water in there as possible. I haven’t detected any rust formation on my ATT family so far. :)

Last edited:
I just take the blade out after the shave, and dry everything off and let it air-dry on a washcloth for a couple of hours. Takes about 5 seconds to dis-assemble the razor after a shave. I've been doing this for years and never had an issue.

If I'm feeling cautious I disassemble onto a washcloth, blot with toilet paper and then reassemble, only takes a few seconds. Most of the time though just blowing the water out of the head suffices.

I've been doing the alcohol dunk with my Kronos too. Do y'all just keep some kind of container with alcohol in it on hand to dunk into? I took a glass jar and put some rubbing alcohol in it, plus a splash of Pinaud Clubman for aroma :001_smile, and keep it on my sink for dunking. Does that sound O.K.?

I've been doing the alcohol dunk with my Kronos too. Do y'all just keep some kind of container with alcohol in it on hand to dunk into? I took a glass jar and put some rubbing alcohol in it, plus a splash of Pinaud Clubman for aroma :001_smile, and keep it on my sink for dunking. Does that sound O.K.?

I keep mine in a screw type tupperware container.

No rust issues here at all in 8 months of daily use. I change the blade after every six shaves. Never have detected any discoloration or rust.

After each shave I rinse it with warm water, blow out the drops that are inside the edge area, dry the outside with a towel and lay it on the counter until tomorrow's shave.

No rust issues here at all in 8 months of daily use. I change the blade after every six shaves. Never have detected any discoloration or rust.

After each shave I rinse it with warm water, blow out the drops that are inside the edge area, dry the outside with a towel and lay it on the counter until tomorrow's shave.

+1 on this. I've got a tiny bit of soap buildup, but I haven't seen a hint of any rust.

You are most welcome. Someone shared that trick to me early on and it was a big help to me. I have since passed it along to many others. Traditional shaving is not difficult but there is a learning curve. Proper shaving is a skill few of us are really exposed to. It was nearly a lost art. I am glad that it is making such a come back. I know I enjoy introducing it to anyone willing to listen.

alcohol is hydrophobic (doesn't get along with water and moves it out).

It's not hydrophobic. It's miscible with water. It essentially removes the water by dissolving it.

I mean no disrespect but blow drying and bathing in alcohol a razor that's supposed to be made out of premium materials and not rust seems comical to me.

It's not hydrophobic. It's miscible with water. It essentially removes the water by dissolving it.

I mean no disrespect but blow drying and bathing in alcohol a razor that's supposed to be made out of premium materials and not rust seems comical to me.

Blowing out the water has nothing to do with rust concerns. It's to eliminate water spotting (hard well water here). I've had zero issues with rust or staining. Only a very few here have had discoloration (these few I've heard of rub off with a rag, it's not a permanent stain). I suspect it's what's in their water, not the razor.

Meh, I for one was already regularly using alcohol to disinfect my razors/blades anyway. I've read that recommendation many times, and it just makes sense to me to reduce germs when you are scraping a sharp blade over your skin. If a quick alcohol dunk helps stave off any cosmetic rust/water spot concerns too, so much the better. I don't mess with blow drying, just a quick dunk and shake off after rinsing following each shave.

I found a glass sugar shaker that I keep on my counter with alcohol for dunking. It reminds me of something you might see in a barber shop. (The color in the liquid is from a splash of Pinaud Clubman I add to the alcohol for aroma to add to the barber shop ambience. :001_smile)

proxy.php

To me, premium materials (and machining) means you have something you can use and enjoy forever with a little maintenance. Nothing in daily use is going to stay nice forever if you abuse it--not a concern with an $8 plastic cartridge handle that Gillette hopes you will toss and re-buy in a year or two anyway. My ATT is a lifelong keeper.

You are most welcome. Someone shared that trick to me early on and it was a big help to me. I have since passed it along to many others. Traditional shaving is not difficult but there is a learning curve. Proper shaving is a skill few of us are really exposed to. It was nearly a lost art. I am glad that it is making such a come back. I know I enjoy introducing it to anyone willing to listen.

Thank you for making these great razors, Stan! Everybody should be willing to listen to you about shaving!

I got my s2 this morning from bullgoose don't know how it got from cal to nc so fast but I'm not complaining. Is the s2 a good shaver?
Let me answer this way: Its the only razor I have used since it was released in Nov2014 (or was it 2013?)and that includes my other ATT razors

Let me answer this way: Its the only razor I have used since it was released in Nov2014 (or was it 2013?)and that includes my other ATT razors

Ditto here with the H1. I have zero interest in any other razor since January when I received it. Everything else pales in comparison. I need look no further.

Top Bottom