What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Gents- very excited to join the world of ATT and looking for buying advice. I have a wiry, but not necessarily thick, beard, sensitive skin, and shave daily because of my profession. I currently use a Merkur slant or 34cHD depending on the day with 2 passes. I have never used an open comb. I get decent results, but often think I need something more aggressive. I am planning to go with the Kronos handle and some combination of M or R heads. I originally planned to go with the 5 piece set (M1, M2, and R1) and go from there, but ideally I would love to only have one razor head long term (maybe 2), given the fact that I almost always shave every day (maybe a weekend day off). I checked out the wonderful guide available here http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness and noticed that the M1 is below the Merkur Slant in terms of aggressiveness, which makes me think that the M1 is unnecessary. Given the $299 price for 3 heads, do you all think it would make sense to go for the 5 piece set and then either return one head (if I even can?) or sell it on B/S/T, or would buying the R1 and M2 suffice, with the hope that I keep both only if I notice a true difference in performance. Any advice is most appreciated.

I agree that the M1 might not be the best fit. If you get three, you might consider getting an H plate for something to advance into. The H plates also provide the option to steep angle shave (starting with the handle parallel to the skin and pivoting up on the safety bar/comb until the blade edge hovers just above the skin ... more info in the sticky thread if you are interested) ... which for me, makes my H1 feel far more mild than shallow angle (pivoting from the top cap) shaving.

You'll very likely love the ATT though regardless of which baseplates turn out to be your favorites.

Last edited:
Gents- very excited to join the world of ATT and looking for buying advice. I have a wiry, but not necessarily thick, beard, sensitive skin, and shave daily because of my profession. I currently use a Merkur slant or 34cHD depending on the day with 2 passes. I have never used an open comb. I get decent results, but often think I need something more aggressive. I am planning to go with the Kronos handle and some combination of M or R heads. I originally planned to go with the 5 piece set (M1, M2, and R1) and go from there, but ideally I would love to only have one razor head long term (maybe 2), given the fact that I almost always shave every day (maybe a weekend day off). I checked out the wonderful guide available here http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness and noticed that the M1 is below the Merkur Slant in terms of aggressiveness, which makes me think that the M1 is unnecessary. Given the $299 price for 3 heads, do you all think it would make sense to go for the 5 piece set and then either return one head (if I even can?) or sell it on B/S/T, or would buying the R1 and M2 suffice, with the hope that I keep both only if I notice a true difference in performance. Any advice is most appreciated.

I have a similar beard and skin type based on your description, and have shaved with the razors you mentioned from Merkur. I also shave every day, although I use straights as often as DEs. When I decided to go the ATT route, I started off with the m2 plate, Kronos and colossus handles, but quickly stepped up to the r2, as the m2 was not aggressive enough for me. I am now thinking of the h1 or 2, as the r2 seems like it isn't as aggressive as I thought, either. This may be me having too steep an angle or other technique issues, but I have found my shave to be as close as I would like it after 2 passes, which is about all I can take every day with a DE.

If anyone has any thoughts on the technique angle of this, I would appreciate input, but this has been my experience. Maybe start with the an r plate and see if you want anything more aggressive, or get r and h plates for your 5 piece if you go that route? Just my 2 cents.

Awesome razors in any case....

Steve

I have a similar beard and skin type based on your description, and have shaved with the razors you mentioned from Merkur. I also shave every day, although I use straights as often as DEs. When I decided to go the ATT route, I started off with the m2 plate, Kronos and colossus handles, but quickly stepped up to the r2, as the m2 was not aggressive enough for me. I am now thinking of the h1 or 2, as the r2 seems like it isn't as aggressive as I thought, either. This may be me having too steep an angle or other technique issues, but I have found my shave to be as close as I would like it after 2 passes, which is about all I can take every day with a DE.

If anyone has any thoughts on the technique angle of this, I would appreciate input, but this has been my experience. Maybe start with the an r plate and see if you want anything more aggressive, or get r and h plates for your 5 piece if you go that route? Just my 2 cents.

Awesome razors in any case....

Steve

I appreciate all of the advice. Now leaning towards R1, R2, and H1 with the thought that I could step down from the R2 to the M2 if necessary (again, I've never used an open comb), but then have R1 as an every day with the future option for the H1. Other option is go with R1 and R2 and go from there, but I'm stuck on the benefits of starting with the 5 piece set (options, cost). Does anyone have any experience with buying a 5 piece unit and then wanting to return one (for good)? I see it as a great way to try 3 combinations, but I hope that in 30 days I can figure out which 1 or 2 work best. Thanks again for all the help.

I never really got along with an open comb that well until the ATT. I like both the 1 and 2 plates and don't think you'll go wrong either way. I think you'll be happy with either of the R plates (or both) and from there just decide if you'd like something milder for an occasional really comfortable (but not as close) shave or something more aggressive to work up to really close shaves. Someone mentioned steep angle use earlier and if you're thinking about trying that, I might recommend the H2 over the H1. Seems to me that the OC leaves more lather on your face rather than wiping it off before the blade gets there.

To me the M1 feels a bit milder than my R89. Some others I think disagree on that. Good luck and if you decide you want to trade it you can. One of the best things about dealing with Stan.

Just ordered a Colossus M1. Hope I like it. Looking for something with a similar shave to an EJDE89.

Sweet! Let us know how you like it. I've thought about getting the Colussus handle myself if I ever end up getting a second ATT handle.

For some the M1 feels about as aggressive (but much more efficient) than the EJ89. The EJ has a much larger blade gap, but the ATT has much more blade exposure.

For most though, the M1 feels about like a Weber ... a bit more aggressive than the EJ89, but nothing to be afraid of.

Yea I have heard so many conflicting things on the M1 aggressiveness I figure I just have to try it. All the reading I have done didn't really clear anything up. I hope it works for me because I just want one nice stainless razor.

Someone mentioned steep angle use earlier and if you're thinking about trying that, I might recommend the H2 over the H1. Seems to me that the OC leaves more lather on your face rather than wiping it off before the blade gets there.

I've been steep-angle shaving with the H2 and H1. They're both great, and to be honest, there isn't much difference. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the H2, just because OCs are my general preference, but both are smooth and very effective using the steep-angle method.

Yea I have heard so many conflicting things on the M1 aggressiveness I figure I just have to try it. All the reading I have done didn't really clear anything up. I hope it works for me because I just want one nice stainless razor.

If you find it too aggressive, you should try swapping the Colussus handle for an Atlas. I love my Atlas, and most shavers usually find a smaller, lighter handle yields a less aggressive shave ... although some find that the added length affects their natural grip so much that it makes it less aggressive. YMMV ... but I really suspect you're going to love the razor.

I've been steep-angle shaving with the H2 and H1. They're both great, and to be honest, there isn't much difference. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the H2, just because OCs are my general preference, but both are smooth and very effective using the steep-angle method.

Steep-angle makes a big difference for me in the comfort of my H1. Actually, to me it makes sense that if you aren't steep angle shaving with an aggressive razor, then you might as well use a milder razor. A person who had perfect shallow-shaving technique (with baseplate never touching skin) with an H1 should I think in theory get an identical shave to the M1....

It might be that my technique isn't great, but to me, pivoting on the safety bar until the blade hovers just over the skin seems much easier ... and you get a very efficient shave.

Also, I was going to (someday when I had room in the budget) buy a set of OC baseplates ... but by that time the slant will probably out, and it (or they?!) will likely make for a much more different shaving experience!

EDIT: Who am I kidding? I'm going to eventually want both the OC baseplates and the slant(s)....

Cheers!
Shawn

Last edited:

We will work with you if necessary. Every guy should have a "custom" tool to shave with.

Some interesting results for Above the Tie in the Aggressiveness Polls that closed today:

1. ATT M1 vs ATT M2 ... resulting in M1 ~= M2
  2. ATT R1 vs ATT R2 ... resulting in R1 ~= R2
  3. ATT H1 vs ATT H2 ... resulting in H1 ~= H2
  4. ATT M2 vs ATT R1 ... resulting in R1 > M2 (by 1.0 point?)

The M1 being equally aggressive to the M2 was a surprise to me based on what I've read from individual postings. Sometimes the aggregated results can be eye opening to see.

Also interesting ... while these do I think indicate that the solid bar (SB) and open comb (OC) baseplate versions of the same blade gap are equal in aggressiveness to the average shaver ... most individual shavers do not think so! :001_huh:

Such is the way of YMMV....

Thanks to all who voted!

Cheers!
Shawn

Some interesting results for Above the Tie in the Aggressiveness Polls that closed today:

1. ATT M1 vs ATT M2 ... resulting in M1 ~= M2
  2. ATT R1 vs ATT R2 ... resulting in R1 ~= R2
  3. ATT H1 vs ATT H2 ... resulting in H1 ~= H2
  4. ATT M2 vs ATT R1 ... resulting in R1 > M2 (by 1.0 point?)

The M1 being equally aggressive to the M2 was a surprise to me based on what I've read from individual postings. Sometimes the aggregated results can be eye opening to see.

Also interesting ... while these do I think indicate that the solid bar (SB) and open comb (OC) baseplate versions of the same blade gap are equal in aggressiveness to the average shaver ... most individual shavers do not think so! :001_huh:

Such is the way of YMMV....

Thanks to all who voted!

Cheers!
Shawn

I'm reconsidering the poll-crunching formula to not require the 10% difference ... and that would probably put the M2 as 0.5 greater than the M1.

Previously I analyzed the M1 vs M2 (and the other polls) like this:
M1: 3 + 1 (from comments) = 4 votes
Equal: 4 votes
"Equal" + "M1" => 8 votes

M2: 9 votes

Question:
When you look at this graph, how do you interpret it? What formula do you think would be best?

Thanks!
Shawn

We will work with you if necessary. Every guy should have a "custom" tool to shave with.

I just ordered a Kronos R1 combo on Friday and don't know when it will arrive. I hope the polls don't close before I have an opportunity for my voice to be heard! I like voting:)

And I'm certainly excited about my custom tool.

Top Bottom