What's new

Any discontinued inks, that you are always keeping an eye out to purchase?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
We all have our certain inks that we love, and for whatever reason they have been discontinued. I have a fondness for Montblanc British Racing Green. I seem to always check shelves or ask when I am calling a pen shop to see if there may be some hidden in the back somewhere. I will not pay OMG prices for the ink though. Some people in the pen world have started gouging buyers with the news that Montblanc Blue/Black iron gall ink is being discontinued. The bottles retailing around $17 a bottle are now being sold, or should I say asking price, for upwards of $30 a bottle.

So are there any inks that you are always on the lookout for?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Off the top of my head -- Sheaffer Kings Gold, Montblanc Racing Green, Parker Penman Sapphire, Pelikan blue-black, Rotring, those ought to get it started.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Off the top of my head -- Sheaffer Kings Gold, Montblanc Racing Green, Parker Penman Sapphire, Pelikan blue-black, Rotring, those ought to get it started.

I had heard about the Penman Green ink being wonderful. I think i found a bottle on ebay for $100. PASS!!

I would love to try Penman Sapphire or MB Racing Green, but I'm not willing to pay the premium they demand when they come up for sale. I saw a post on FPN for something like $3 per cart for the Sapphire this week. I am keeping my eyes open for MB Midnight Blues, as I'm enjoying my bottle and I'm bummed I wasn't paying enough attention to the posts indicating a reformulation was happening. Too late to get it at normal prices now. The vultures swooped in to make a profit on ebay.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
You can still pick up the MB blue/black. Just gives some calls to places like paradise pens.

strop

Now half as wise
Pelican blue-black was still available in Europe as of June. I think it has only been discontinued for US distribution, IIRC.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
looks like I'm going to be looking for Montblanc Blue/Black iron gall ink.

It's called Midnight Blue and shows PERMANENT FOR DOCUMENTS on the bottom of the box. Made in Austria.

The German-made Blue-Black from several years ago is good stuff, too.

Top Bottom