What's new

Item of the Week - Saint Sue/Thanksgiving Edition

Gentlemen, I apologize for the lateness of the beginning of this thread. Sundays are not a good day for me to frequent B&B, so this may become the norm. If anyone has an issue with the Item of the Week beginning on Monday and going through the following Sunday, PM me and we'll see what we can work out.

At this time of the year, at least in the US, we begin to focus on the things that are truly important: Our families, our health, our privilege. I've been especially introspective lately, thinking of all my blessings and wondering why I've been so fortunate in life. When my son told me last night, out of the blue, "You're a good guy, Daddy!" I could have died an incredibly happy and fulfilled man right then.

With that in mind, this week we will focus on the legacy of a wonderful woman. Those who were able to know her in life, if only through the miracle of this forum, were the lucky ones. Regrettably, I did not join the forum until shortly after her passing, but her legacy is alive and well. It's a legacy of charity, of grace, of thoughtfulness, and enduring hope. Some of you were fortunate enough to win items in the auction. This year alone the generous members of Badger and Blade have donated upwards of $20,000 to the cause of eradicating breast cancer. So my hope this week is for all you winners to use your most noble acquisitions (whether they be shaving related or not), and with each use, reflect on your good fortune in life. Offer a word of thanks each morning and evening whether to God, or your ancestors, or to whomever you meet. Offer up a compliment or helping hand to someone with whom you have little daily interaction... make someone's day. Let your heart be filled with joy and thanksgiving each time you partake in your gentlemanly indulgences.

For those who were not able to win anything in the auction, perhaps you've purchased a Sue Moore Memorial Boar Brush, or perhaps you have some Saint Charles Shave items in your den. Use these just as gladly as the auction winners. Even if you have none of these things at your disposal, much like me, the let Thankfulness be your item of the week. Wield it joyously and generously. One can never be too thankful for his blessings.

Be sure to let us know what you will be using. Also post a few things for which you're thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sounds like a good time to start my way through the 50 blade sampler I picked up. If the strop Shoppe soap ever gets here I'll add that too!

This works out well, because I was already planning to use SCS savory rose AS all week. I have samples of the lavender and sandalwood too, but so far the rose is my favorite. It goes on nicely after a shave with Arko or vintage Colgate.

But I will not be able to start until tomorrow, because today is the feast day of another saint: Catherine of Alexandria. For the patron saint of blade sharpeners, and by extension wetshavers, I feel compelled to splash on some vintage Lilac Vegetal.

I bid on a few items in the auction but was not fortunate enough to win. But I'll still be participating since I am currently 3017'ing a puck of Saint Charles Shave Mochaccino so I will be using it all week.

Woohoo!! Another chance to plug wquiles and his awesome machining skills!

It's heavy, it's brass, it's got burly mixed knurling, and it's elevated every Gillette and Merkur razor head I've tried it with. The gem of my den.

Today was the intersection of a few "theme" days so you might see this SOTD shot in a few other threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, fellas, today's shave with SCS Rose Damascena soap
Omega Badger and Cobra Classic
Feather ProLite Blade (1)
After, SCS Bulgarian Rose with Lemon AS
Let's be thankful for our simple indulgences!

full

Woohoo!! Another chance to plug wquiles and his awesome machining skills!

It's heavy, it's brass, it's got burly mixed knurling, and it's elevated every Gillette and Merkur razor head I've tried it with. The gem of my den.

Today was the intersection of a few "theme" days so you might see this SOTD shot in a few other threads.

really nice handle!

The only official item that I have is the B&B Essentials "Saint Sue" Edition brush. It actually belongs to my SWMBO but I will be confiscating it back for this week's usage. As a way of giving thanks, I will also be shaving with gear that was given to me from a loved one.

Using blade sampler from the Auction.

W2 Aristocrat, Iridium super stainless (1), QCS Fougere, TGN Finest

4 days growth mown in an instant. a darn tootin good shave.

IOTW, a SCS item
Today, spritzed after the shave with Wendy's Melaaze spicy-citrus EDT sampler, very nice.
Prepped with shower and Maggards PSO
TOBS Avocado with Rudy's silvertip
Feather AC and ProGuard blade (5?)
Just one pass today for the most part, a second ATG on the neck, no irritation whatsoever.
Thayers Lemon WH

And, just a little later, enjoyed a real avocado dip with Dos Equis
This shaving is so much fun!!

$tobs avocado dos equis-5273-Edits.jpg

background, Cozumel ocean front water tower

Wonderful shave this evening...

Parker 99R
Astra SP
B&B Essentials Saint Sue Edition
Barrister & Mann - Nocturne
WH / CC Bay Rum

I am really loving this brush as it eats soaps up (compared to my Silvertip) and generates tons of lather. I haven't had it awhile but the tips are already starting to split and the overall feel is softening quite nicely.

Another great shave this evening...

1941 Gillette Ranger Tech
Personna Lab
B&B Essentials Saint Sue Edition
Barrister & Mann - Nocturne
WH / Pinaud Clubman / AoS Ocean Kelp ASL

Looks like another day with no one else shaving!
Using my SCS sample of Woods
Prep with shower and Musgo Glyce
SCS Woods + RV silvertip in wood
Feather AC with Proguard blade (#6?)
After, cool water rinse, alum swipe, and Pen's EF EDT

$scs woods nov 29 2013 comps.jpg

background-Avalanche Creek, Glacier NP, July, 2012

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Looks like another day with no one else shaving!
Using my SCS sample of Woods
Prep with shower and Musgo Glyce
SCS Woods + RV silvertip in wood
Feather AC with Proguard blade (#6?)
After, cool water rinse, alum swipe, and Pen's EF EDT

View attachment 389093

background-Avalanche Creek, Glacier NP, July, 2012

Another awesome picture!

Top Bottom