What's new

Modern equivalent to the ball end old type Gillette?

Greetings..

I am impressed with the ball end old type Gillette I found rummaging through my dad's old stuff. While it is an open comb, and while I am still a newbie struggling to get the we shave DE thing down, I find I get a nice close shave with the old type. Isn't that odd? I also have a Gillette slim TTO, but I don't get as good a shave with it. I wonder if it is a combination of the open comb and the slim head of the old type, mostly the small head shape I think.

So, with that in mind, can you folks advise me if there is any modern equivalent to the Gillette open comb old type? Many thanks.

Merkur 1904 OC is milder than any Gillette OC. It is mild to the degree that I am able to shave with Feather blade on a wet face without any oil nor lather.

Don't try to get a BBS with 1904 OC, as it is too mild for it. Surely you could get a BBS if you abuse it by adding a lot of pressure/passes, but then you risk irritation. 1904 OC is efficent and will give a decent looking shave in just two passes, even if you have not been shaving for 3-4 days.

It is one of the best razors for trying advanced shaving techniques with, as you can almost slide it along the edge without cutting yourself. When doing the "Gillette slide", I'm able to really exaggregate without bleeding.

At any point when the skin is not ready for a close shave, this one could still be used.

Last edited:
I am impressed with the ball end old type Gillette I found rummaging through my dad's old stuff. While it is an open comb, and while I am still a newbie struggling to get the we shave DE thing down, I find I get a nice close shave with the old type. Isn't that odd? I also have a Gillette slim TTO, but I don't get as good a shave with it.

Why not just use pop's old-type? I am of the belief that the early Gillettes are unsurpassed.

^ Agreed. If you really love the way that razor shaves but want something that looks brand new, send it out to be replated in nickel, gold, chrome or rhodium...whatever you prefer. Then you will have a solid brass razor with a new protective coat. Your grandchildren will be able to shave with it.

I'd just stick with the old-type since you seem to like the shave. My old type is my favorite razor and as you get used to it the shaves only get better.

^ Agreed. If you really love the way that razor shaves but want something that looks brand new, send it out to be replated in nickel, gold, chrome or rhodium...whatever you prefer. Then you will have a solid brass razor with a new protective coat. Your grandchildren will be able to shave with it.

^This. Just about any modern razor (other than a pricey SS) is going to be a let-down compared what you already have, quality-wise. Get pop's old razor re-plated. Then, you can keep shaving with something that has significance to you, and pass it along when the time's right.

If you want a different or second razor with a similar shave quality look for a Gillette Single Ring.

I have my Grandfather's Old-Type, probably everyone in the family used it as it was the Great Depression. It's a small thing, but I'm very happy to have it.

Why not just use pop's old-type? I am of the belief that the early Gillettes are unsurpassed.

The problem is that its handle has a very wide crack along the entire length to the extent that it is rendered almost useless. The head is also chipped and scratched, and one of the teeth is crooked. I don't know whether it is salvageable or whether I should just as well get a "new" one.

The combination of the huge crack on the handle, the chips on the head, and the crooked tooth make me wonder about how much can it be revamped.

I've a couple razors with a slightly bent tooth. I never noticed an issue when shaving. There are lots of options for replacement handles.

Ball-End Old-Types are readily available, and inexpensive. And as I said above, the Single Ring is worth trying out. A nice, user-grade Single Ring can be found for $15-$20

here it is.. $BallEndOldType1.jpg$BallEndOldType2.jpg

The handle is not an issue. That Old Type head will take almost any handle from any razor. Personally, I do not use any stock Gillette handles. There are a handful of very good aftermarket handles that range in price from $20-$60. You can spend even more if you get crazy. We can help you track down a handle that you will really like. Right off the bat I am thinking about the Razo Rock slab handle. It's $27 and stainless steel. Will look great with that replated razor.

I can't see the head really well, but it does not look like there is so much wrong that it can't be replated. The only bent tooth I see is that one slight bend on the one corner tooth. If that's all it is that will not interfere with the shave in any way, IMO. Sometimes it's possible to apply some heat and have that tooth straightened, but I think more often than not they snap off instead. Someone else should know more about that than me.

Many of the scratches and nicks can be polished out, provided they aren't too deep. Even if they are a bit too deep, plating will still cover them and fill them in some....and protect the metal for the next 100 years of it's life. From what I am seeing there isn't anything that can't be taken care of.

Of course, it all depends on you. How important it is to spend a relatively small amount of money for a new handle and finish and make your grandfathers razor something you can use and think about him every time you do. Or, you can spend the same money, get a modern razor to shave with and just set your grandfathers razor aside to admire and as a keepsake. Neither option is wrong, it just depends on what you want to do.

The handle is not an issue. That Old Type head will take almost any handle from any razor. Personally, I do not use any stock Gillette handles. There are a handful of very good aftermarket handles that range in price from $20-$60. You can spend even more if you get crazy. We can help you track down a handle that you will really like. Right off the bat I am thinking about the Razo Rock slab handle. It's $27 and stainless steel. Will look great with that replated razor.

I can't see the head really well, but it does not look like there is so much wrong that it can't be replated. The only bent tooth I see is that one slight bend on the one corner tooth. If that's all it is that will not interfere with the shave in any way, IMO. Sometimes it's possible to apply some heat and have that tooth straightened, but I think more often than not they snap off instead. Someone else should know more about that than me.

Many of the scratches and nicks can be polished out, provided they aren't too deep. Even if they are a bit too deep, plating will still cover them and fill them in some....and protect the metal for the next 100 years of it's life. From what I am seeing there isn't anything that can't be taken care of.

Of course, it all depends on you. How important it is to spend a relatively small amount of money for a new handle and finish and make your grandfathers razor something you can use and think about him every time you do. Or, you can spend the same money, get a modern razor to shave with and just set your grandfathers razor aside to admire and as a keepsake. Neither option is wrong, it just depends on what you want to do.

Sounds like a good plan Jeff. I do wish to continue to use it for both practical and sentimental reasons. So, where can I find the handle you referred to? is it sold on Amazon or ebay?

Also, is there a place where I would send the razor and they fix/plate/replace handle? or should I approach this is steps? Thanks.

If you decide you prefer (or want to try) a longer, heavier handle, you could go here:

http://shaveabuck.com/three-piece-razor-t1-model-p-670.html

...and for just $24 get a whole 3-piece razor for less than what most really good handles cost. (If you had no interest in the Sabi T2 razor head, which has a solid safety bar, you could probably sell it on this forum later on.)

On this page:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-was-surprised-same-head-as-the-Mariner-razor

...a member reviews this razor, but then down the page (post #18) another member, after also reviewing the Sabi T2, suggests that the best use for it is combining its handle with a Cadet open comb head, which he posts a picture of. The Cadet OC, I believe, (which is sold on the same site) is a significantly more aggressive razor than any of the Gillette OC razors, but anyone with more knowledge may correct or expand on that assertion. The Sabi T2 is $24, and I think the Cadet OCs range from $15 to $25. They're both supposed to be of absurdly high quality for the price, from what I read. (I'm fixing to order each of them myself and try the suggested Frankenrazor combo.)

Separate steps. You find the handle on the market you want and buy it. Then you decide what kind of finish you want on the head and go from there.

Here's a link to the handle. I thought it was $27, but it's listed at $31...sorry for the mistake, my memory must be slipping.

http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-slab-safety-razor-handle

As I said before, there are several really good handles out there. It all depends on what you want, the look you like and how much you want to spend. I like stainless steel for durability and the grip on the knurling is usually very very good. If you want more options I'd be happy to post links for you. This isn't the only handle I'd recommend and I don't own one, it's just one that came to mind that is reasonable. I actually prefer the Weber handle for just a few dollars more ($38).

As for the finish, there are 2 I would recommend. What will drive your choice is the metal you want your razor replated in. Krona Kruiser is a member here and does very nice work in bright nickel and chrome. He generally has very reasonable turn time and his pricing is also reasonable. I've purchased several razors from Krona that have already been restored and the work is really nice.

Dave at Restored Razors (Otonoman forum name) is in England, but he works in all metals currently used to replate razors. Your razor was likely plated in silver originally. Dave will do, nickel, chrome, black chrome, silver, gold, rose gold and rhodium. I think I got them all. It may or may not be worth the cost to send just the head to Dave, unless you want an original silver finish like was on there. I haven't had any work done by Dave yet, but I will before long. Every picture I've seen of his work is amazing.

Both of these gentlemen will buff out as many scratches on the head and base plate as possible. You would have to speak with them to see what they will or will not do with regard to the bent tooth, or what the recommend. You can just PM either of them to discuss specifics. Let me know if I can be of more help.

If you decide you prefer (or want to try) a longer, heavier handle, you could go here:

http://shaveabuck.com/three-piece-razor-t1-model-p-670.html

...and for just $24 get a whole 3-piece razor for less than what most really good handles cost. (If you had no interest in the Sabi T2 razor head, which has a solid safety bar, you could probably sell it on this forum later on.)

On this page:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-was-surprised-same-head-as-the-Mariner-razor

...a member reviews this razor, but then down the page (post #18) another member, after also reviewing the Sabi T2, suggests that the best use for it is combining its handle with a Cadet open comb head, which he posts a picture of. The Cadet OC, I believe, (which is sold on the same site) is a significantly more aggressive razor than any of the Gillette OC razors, but anyone with more knowledge may correct or expand on that assertion. The Sabi T2 is $24, and I think the Cadet OCs range from $15 to $25. They're both supposed to be of absurdly high quality for the price, from what I read. (I'm fixing to order each of them myself and try the suggested Frankenrazor combo.)

Many thanks creekwalker. Looks nice, but I wanted to stick to the shorter handle. Best wishes.

Top Bottom