What's new

Lmarkow's Chicken Diary

Although I too like to use cold water for rinsing when possible. I find some soaps just do not rinse off sufficiently with colder water. For those, I use slightly warm water to get all the soap residue off since I find I can get skin blemishes much easier if I leave any soap on my face (no matter how thin) after rinsing.

During the summer I cold water shave after running in the morning. One time I used Al's Calypso cream in a cold water shave and did not get good results. I posted a query in the shaving cream sub-forum and Al responded that water temp does not affect the quality of his lather. I may very well have botched the lather.

But if that's the case, I wouldn't expect the water temp on a post shave rinse to matter either.

Using water to build a lather and using water to remove the lather from your face are two very different things. Based on my experiences, water temperature did make a difference to the efficacy of removing the lather and residue from my face. Not meaning to say I couldn't have done it with cold water...it just would would have taken a lot longer.

"cold" water means different things at different times of the year and in different parts of the world.

In the Norht East "cold" water in February is a hair above freezing, let me tell you, your pores are not only closed after that, they are shut down for a while.

"cold" water means different things at different times of the year and in different parts of the world.

In the Norht East "cold" water in February is a hair above freezing, let me tell you, your pores are not only closed after that, they are shut down for a while.

Strictly a summer thing for me. I prefer warm lather, but after running in the summer I am often way overheated. Even a half hour later and after a cool shower, the warm lather on a warm morning can make me sweat again. Shaving with these razors while sweat is running through your lather and into your razor pivot stinks. Sometimes I even have a fan going in there.

All this, just to shave.

Last edited:
I think I've finally found one shaving variable, besides tallow based soaps, that I enjoy more than others I've experienced: the French point on the Harner razor I use. That curved, down slope to the tip allows an otherwise ridiculously big razor to shave much smaller than it looks. No problem on the upper lip whatsoever.

I'm not changing my avatar or the diary title.

Great shave with the Harner. Almost zero feedback from the alum, and the VIBR was a mellow simmer rather than the hell fire a mediocre shave can bring on.

Last edited:
Part of my evening wash up routine includes stropping the next day's razor. So last night I stropped the TI I own, which I haven't used in a while. This is a big 7/8s in some nice horn that has consistently disappointed me; until today. I'm not sure if this razor has had the misfortune of being called on for swim days, or if I just couldn't keep up with the other extra hollow razors I enjoy shaving with, but in any case, I wasn't sure I was going to ever really like the shaves from the razor. That all ended today. Not sure what made this razor finally click, but together with some really nice QCS Mysore Sandalwood, it performed great.

After the shave I stropped the razor on the K3. I completely forgot this is a singing razor. When I got it on the strop just so, it started singing away, up and down the leather. Two of my razors sing like this. The faux Fili #14 sings too; the #13 doesn't even tap its toe.

I ordered my first custom brush, or at least started to talk handle colors. Frankly, other than color, we're talking more shaving chicken here for me too. Knot sizes, types, shapes, handle shapes, etc. = more chicken. But I would like to own a custom brush and ShaverJoe is able to make one that I think will look great on the brush shelf in my bathroom. I have a mix of badger, boar, and horse on the shelf that I usually pick from randomly.

It's a rainy day here in the Republic. I've got some work to get done, but first a nap. Have a good Sunday.

No comments today as to shave quality, since I swam this morning, which is almost like two strikes without even lathering. In stead, I'll just note that more and more I have been considering learning to maintain my razors. I actually bought some Norton water stones shortly after I got into shaving, but have been completely and utterly unsuccessful making anything sharp, other than the pain in my hunched over back. I will likely PIF these at some point; penance for pigheaded stupidity. I should have read more and waited.

Now is not a good time to learn, since I'm buried at work trying to get 4Q deals done. Perhaps after New Years. But the fact of the matter is, I'm afraid I may not have the patience to learn this skill and I don't think I want to suffer through sub par shaves while I learn. Although I'm typically not "good with my hands," I managed to get them to shave my face with only a couple of scars, theoretically I should be able to get them to rub the razors on a rock instead. We'll see.

Did I mention I hate Mondays? There's a reason so many stormy and other downer songs are written about this day. I have found the cure: Tabac Mondays! Soap and AS. At least I know two things will go well.

and I don't think I want to suffer through sub par shaves while I learn.

So don't.

No one says you have to shave with the your edges while you're still learning/practicing. I've sent me razors off to Doc while I'm learning to hone. Once you get one reasonably close, you'll probably want to try it, but you don't have to complete the shave with it if it's not up to your chicken standard! I'm to the point now that I can hone a blade enough that all it needs is 10 laps on my WD balsa CROX/FEOX strop, so I've been using my own chicken. I haven't been able to get over the hurdle of having a shave ready edge of the stone yet. Larry, the bar's pretty low for guys like us. Ya just gotta make chicken.

From the sounds of it, you have enough blades in the stable that you aren't going to be hurting for a good edge. Take an edge in known good condition that needs some touch-up and do the touch-up yourself. You don't have to start with an eBay project.

Go for it! 10 minutes/evening. Easy.

Josh

You're absolutely right, Josh. And I guess there's no good reason not too. Just curious, what did you start with?

You're absolutely right, Josh. And I guess there's no good reason not too. Just curious, what did you start with?

I started with a coticule, but it has been a challenge. It's the 80/20 rule. I mastered 80% pretty fast. That last 10% is coming dearly! I'm sure it's just a matter of perseverance, but I'm beginning to lose heart! When I started, a well regarded doctor in these parts suggested that a jnat is easier to learn than a coticule. I blew it off because those stones have an entire languare unto themselves. I felt lost, but I bit the bullet and just ordered a jnat from Alex at thejapanblade.com. We'll see how that goes. When I watch his videos, I can't imagine it being simpler. Watch this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-upq7vqxLU

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VCczyAUaDs&list=PLo-eQm4yfz3fY-eZCieFZgiQQT98JssTx&index=11

We'll see what happens!

I also started with a coticule--it came with my "gift set" from the superior shave. I managed to refresh the edge on my dovo a couple times. At least that's what I told myself. Then I got lapping film. By now I was about 3 months in. Honing on film the way slash explains in his many posts ( see the lapping film, try it thread and his videos if you decide to go this route) gave an edge that was SO much sharper than what I had become used to, I had to relearn what "no pressure" meant. The shaves have been much better and it was stupidly easy to learn. Find a hollow razor with a straight, flat edge to learn on first--Alfredo, obiwan, or any of the others who have honed for you should be able to point you towards good candidates. Pick one that doesn't have too much value (financial or sentimental) so if you end up scraping away a lot of metal you won't be upset. The key is to learn to not be in too much of a hurry. If you run short on time, put it away and pick up where you left off another day, don't try to rush and finish it. Before long you'll feel like you own the chicken farm!

Matt, you're right too, of course. But I've got to admit, the videos Josh posted didn't really make me want to do this any more. I get the feeling that there is so much repetitive muscle training in those laps that it just looks effortless and easy. Keeping the razor on the stone, just so, with the exact amount of pressure or none, the slurry, etc. Sure it can be learned, but I need to be ready to deal with the frustration. Why? There's enough of that right now in the rest of my day. Why add more, even if only "temporary"? I'm not sure if this is sloth or self-preservation.

On a separate note, dynamite shave with the Garibaldi this morning. This razor looks nearly identical to my Fili #13 and shaves as well or better. Definitely one of the top five shavers in my razor box. Speaking of which, here's a pic of the box, which is kept on the night stand shelf:

$IMG_20130511_153348_025.jpg$IMG_20130624_203634_776.jpg

The box is actually full now, and razors are spilling over into a less photogenic box.

You need a bigger box.

Funny you should say that. I went back to the crafts store where I picked this one up. They have the same box with a drawer. I'll have to bring one of the big razors down to see if they'll fit. Then I'll have to rob the bank next door.

Definitely a bigger box.

Norton stones? By comparison, that's going to be some undercooked chicken, brother.

Definitely a bigger box.

Norton stones? By comparison, that's going to be some undercooked chicken, brother.

They're gathering dust. I'll PIF them eventually. I'm coming up on a year with B&B. I can't decide if I want to PIF them or a razor to someone who wants to try straights. You guys have spoiled me, fyi. Thanks!

Top Bottom