What's new

Beware the "Traditional Wet Shave"

:thumbup:
So you think you're a Winner now? You've found a nice clean hobby you can enjoy. You know what I'm saying, they all say it. Get back to the basics and improve your shave technique. Well, congratulations, enjoy your new Sunday shave routine, but beware!

Here at B&B we try to foster as many shaving addictions as possible. :a51:

We start you off with the easy stuff, brushes and "software" like Shaving Creams, and Colognes. We encourage you to try the "gateway" razors like a mild Gillette TTO or adjustable.

Later you're trying out Pre-shave oils, Balms and Uberlather. Then we get you interested in more aggressive blades. Someone PIFs you a sampler pack with Feathers, Russian and Israeli blades.

Maybe you move on to SEs. Well be careful there's a reason its called an "injector"! Next step is an Open Comb DE or an Ever-Ready SE. You start trolling ebay for razors or brushes to add to your collection.

:straight:
Then you start searching for the elusive BBS shave. You experiment with Straight Razors. You start "Chasing the Edge" by honing on film or costly JNATs.

:eek6:
You're checking your face for stubble at Noon and planning that second shave as soon as you get home. You can't sleep at night, all hopped up on adrenaline because there is a new razor in the mail, or you can't wait to work your way through the Dozen Samples from Mike's Natural or QCS.

Before you know it you are broke. Your dog has left you. The parakeet is dead because you forgot to feed it. SWMBO has kicked you out of the Master Bathroom. You have so many products you can't see the sink.

... but you know you've absolutely hit rock bottom when you find yourself up at 4:00 am jonesing for some Derby's and a Parker or Cadet razor.
:crazy:

Oh, the tragedy!!!

I love this post. :thumbup:. I can remember when I thought "why on EARTH would anyone ever have more than 1 brush!?!?" How silly of me. :lol:

- Badger Bill

Shaving Addiction Rehab Centers are popping up everywhere:

$shaver.jpg

The head counselor:

$Ragnheiur-Arngrimsdottir13.jpg

Last edited:
Living in Europe has its advantages; expensive shipping makes buying from the BST board almost prohibitive, and most PIFs are CONUS only. So that makes it easier to stay out of the trap of endless hardware and software acquisitions :001_smile

I have a few good soaps and creams, a razor that I like, and two good brushes. A few more aftershaves (but less than 10), and a large supply of Personna Platinum Chrome blades. A great basis for enjoying a traditional shave each morning! :001_smile

It is hard to tell if this is a cautionary tale or a road map for adict-wannabees!

BTW, the parakeet is NOT dead! It flew away and now lives in Mexico.

I'm a bit mixed on this since I'm new. I'm actually looking forward to my next shave, just to use the new toys. I have no interest in storing a ton of soaps/creams/whatever (and SWMBO would KILL me if I tried to!), but I also am thinking about getting a cream sampler to try other scents/types for the summer (the idea of a super cold cream for the summer months is appealing to me). So I fear that I may develop a SCAD, but my desire to live will keep it from getting TOO bad. :)

I'm a bit mixed on this since I'm new. I'm actually looking forward to my next shave, just to use the new toys. I have no interest in storing a ton of soaps/creams/whatever (and SWMBO would KILL me if I tried to!), but I also am thinking about getting a cream sampler to try other scents/types for the summer (the idea of a super cold cream for the summer months is appealing to me). So I fear that I may develop a SCAD, but my desire to live will keep it from getting TOO bad. :)

Don't be nervous, it really is wonderful!

Just take your time and start gradually.

... oh and if anybody accuses you of getting carried away with this 'shaving thing', just remember to tell them "I can stop any time I want"!

It is hard to tell if this is a cautionary tale or a road map for adict-wannabees!

BTW, the parakeet is NOT dead! It flew away and now lives in Mexico.

It's less of a cautionary tale and more like a lifestyle choice!

Therapy is helping me cope, but they say you will never be able to truly break the cycle.

Hmm... some of these points sound so familiar..:laugh:

What have I gotten myself into lol

But is a good investment, and an enjoyable hobby.

Pepin

Sampler packs...that's where it starts. I've been wetshaving for almost a year now and the AD bug took about 6-8 months to kick in

I can control myself, I really do think.
Though it seems that my RAD has covered my sink.
My SSAD is quite bad, it's making me drink.
I'll just take a break, and go buy some ink.
And then buy a computer, this one's on the blink.

This cracked me up! I get funny looks from my girlfriend when "something else" turns up in the post. Its so addictive but its cheaper than my bike addiction.

Top Bottom