What's new

Acquisitions for November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
$CAM00024.jpgGot these two razors in a barber school kit dated 1959. The kit was complete with clippers, mug, chair cloth, and shears all in a nice little black hard case. I was able to talk the guy down to 30 bucks! What a steal!! And judging by the lack of hair, nothing in the case had ever been used!!

Last edited:
picked up a SOC boar from a member here on the B/S/T and missed out on a 37c the same day but ordered one online anyway :thumbup:
$IMG_0006.jpg

Got an Omega 50068 aka "Bambino" Boar - the lather production is already unblievable after a couple of days - can't wait to use it on my face next week :thumbup:

I hope I'm not breaking any Forum rules, but here's my Simpsons P8 Phyl TSN LE brush:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Definitely one of the most beautiful brushes I own. :001_smile

I PMed a member that I had purchased some brushes from before asking if he had a 2XL he was willing to part with. He said he did and he sent me this picture:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Unfortunately I had already paid him without seeing the picture. This brush is clearly not a 2xl, so I was really regretting the purchase. Reading up on the Stubby 3, it was 1mm wider and the same loft as my Emillion that I bought from him last month. In theory, the knot should be the same. It was a decent price, so I figured at the worst I would sell it to someone for the price that I paid for it.

The brush came in today and BOY was I in for a surprise:

(On the right)
Slightly damp hair:
proxy.php

Close up of the hair when dry:
proxy.php

The Emillion's hair:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Upcoming some good and fun times restoring brushes this winter !!!!

From left to right:
Whiting Adams Vulcan
Adoration (I think not used)
Rubberset 400-3
Certifyd #3 burgundy and beige
Strong Set
Fuller (with box, not used)
Ever-Ready 200T
Ever-Ready 150W
Opal #12 (with box)

proxy.php

My first slant - have to clean though...

Attachments

• $HoffritzTravelReceived1S.jpg
    $HoffritzTravelReceived1S.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 218
  • $HoffritzTravelReceived2S.JPG
    $HoffritzTravelReceived2S.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 226
Travel Slants are a hot item lately...nice score!

Be careful with the plating on that thing, though. I once stripped a similar razor down to the brass with just warm water.

Thanks for that! Could you please advise how to best clean it? I thought about hot (but not boiling) water and soap, whitening toothpaste and micro fibre to keept it as gentle as possible...

I am not catholic, but St Catherine was good to me today. For those who are unaware, today is the feast day of Catherine of Alexandria, who has a good claim to wetshavers. She watches over blade sharpeners, potters, archivists, philosophers, preachers, millers, tanners, haberdashers, and other walks of life that relate to our eccentric community. But I digress.

A few days ago I had a little time to spare, so I made the rounds of the handful of local antique malls that occasionally have something worth the trip. Most of them had very little related to wetshaving, and that little was overpriced or uninteresting to me. So it goes. But in the last one I noticed a looker: a butterscotch Simpson in an unfamiliar style. The original knot looked pretty good, though probably better as a bowl latherer than for my face. I figured if the price was right it would be worth a reknot, or I might pass it along to someone who would appreciate it.

But there was no price tag. So I picked up the brush, finished my round without finding anything else, and tried for a cool demeanor as I approached one of the cheery ladies who run the place. Grasping the problem immediately, she tried to phone the owner of the stall: no answer. So I left my phone number, and had to walk out without the brush.

At least it was being held for me, but it was plainly visible to anyone who came up to the counter. Someone else might get it. Or the phone message might tip off the seller, who would check google and ebay and then set a price tag well beyond what I would reasonably pay. So one way or another, I resigned myself to never seeing it again.

As it turned out, one of the shop ladies called me before noon today and quoted a price. It was a pretty reasonable one, and I agreed. Even as I write this, the knot is bathing in hair conditioner, resting up for its first trial lather. St Catherine was good to me today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing special, but getting set up to start DE shaving last week, I wanted a bowl in which to whip up my lather. Needed to be larger than my mug, easy to hold in my hand, unbreakable, not ugly, and inexpensive. Voila! A small, white Correlle berry bowl from Walmart, only $3. The Correlle is an oven- and dishwasher-safe material, chip- and crack-resistant, perfect for the bathroom, avoiding the worry about broken glass or china underfoot. Just sharin'.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Could you please advise how to best clean it?

I would recommend warm water, a soft tooth brush and the microfiber cloth. Skip the toothpaste. Soap scum and grime from regular use should come off pretty easily with that simple combination.

If you need more power, you should probably consult the archives for tried-and-true, soft chemical techniques.

I would recommend warm water, a soft tooth brush and the microfiber cloth. Skip the toothpaste. Soap scum and grime from regular use should come off pretty easily with that simple combination.

If you need more power, you should probably consult the archives for tried-and-true, soft chemical techniques.

Thanks - I did exactly that followed by a clean up in dettol for good measure - loaed with a polisilver blade and...so that's what shaving should be - I still cannot believe how smooth this razor is!

New brush arrived:

proxy.php

I used it once today, and it is already like this:

proxy.php

Here's my small collection:

proxy.php

Attachments

• $ucgf.jpg
    $ucgf.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Status