What's new

Item of the Week 10/28 - Castle Forbes Shave Cream

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hello to all.

This will be the thirty sixth in a series of "item of the week" threads that I am promoting in the general shave discussion forum.
The rules:

1. It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
  2. Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
  3. The weeks will start on Monday and end on Saturday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The thirty sixth featured item of the week will be
Castle Forbes Shave Cream.

Nice to see a little action here!
I've always wanted to try the Castle Forbes creams. I've a couple samples that can see some use finally, and a tub in transit.
But first I just needed to find out exactly who, what and where CF is.
No, it's not the Malcolm Forbes from the magazine, and it's not in the prettiest little town I've ever seen in Texas.
But the sample of cedar-sandalwood did give a nice, quite thick lather this evening.
The cedar smelled primary and the sandalwood secondary.
Maybe my sample was a little old, but it seemed to fade fairly fast and was really thirsty.
Brush was, naturally, the Wee Scott, who was up to the job, along with the vintage Sheraton OC with Super Blue blade.
Afterwards, just a cool rinse and some Sartorial EDT...that sample, too, is nearly gone!
The week is under way!

$castle forbes oct 28 2013 comps.jpg

Ooh I'd love to join this one too, but both 3017 and RazoRocktober are taking preference right now. So many theme threads!

This (Wednesday) morning's shave, Oct 30th.
With another CF sample, this one Lavender.
After shower and face prep with Musgo Glyce
Generous snurdle smashed into Yoresh's shave bowl
Lathered great with the AOS chrome handled silvertip
Two passes with the Puma 90 5/8, then cleanup with the Futur DE
After, Thayer's WH, then Agua Lavenda splash on a cool washcloth and a smear of AOS Lavender balm
Great shave; CF lavender is one of the best lavenders I've used; also better IMO than their cedarwood-sandalwood.
Sorry, no pic today, rushed and off to assigment work.

So, where have all the CF followers gone?? Long time passing?!

Well, this Thursday afternoon's shave before Halloween events!
The CF Limes tub from Royalshave arrived today, so that could be put to work.
First off, it was amazing how looser this new tub is versus my samples, which are perhaps 8 months old.
This most recent tub is closer to consistency of AOS/T&H/GFT creams, not nearly as croapy as the other CF samples.
Nevertheless, it performed excellently, billowed almost instantly and lasted through the shave.
The scent, however, seemed a little more fleeting than the lavender.
In my mind, I'd rank it just slightly behind my 'go to' lime, T&H.
And, I used the T&H complements to close the deal.

Anyone else? We'll keep the lights on for you!

$castle forbes t&H limes oct 31 2013-comps.jpg

This will wrap up the week for me!
Finished off this evening by going back to the CF Lavender, which, for me, is the best of the CF shave soaps.
I'm not sure exactly why, but the lavender just seemed to have the nicest and most lingering scent.
Prepped with shower and Musgo Glyce; lathered with Don McIvor's custom badger.
Wonderfully smooth shave with the Feather AC and ProGuard blade, on 5x.
Nary a nick or scrape, only two passes needed.
Cool water rinse and a splash of Clubman.
Plus another nice Scotch, Dewars 12 with three cubes.
Have a nice weekend, gents.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 60
Wrapped it up this morning with my Feather SS and a my FCL Lime, to match the handle, of course. After that, a nice splash of CF Lime aftershave and I am good to go! Have a wonderful Saturday and GO GATORS!

Go gators!!! I have both the CF lavender and lime. For some reason the lime was not nearly as dense as the lavender and consrquently I have blown through it faster than the lavender. Im thinking of trying the cedar/sandalwood, in your opinion, is it worth the price? I'm a big fan of the other two flavors, but have heard some mixed reviews. Curious to know your thoughts. Thanks.

Go gators!!! I have both the CF lavender and lime. For some reason the lime was not nearly as dense as the lavender and consrquently I have blown through it faster than the lavender. Im thinking of trying the cedar/sandalwood, in your opinion, is it worth the price? I'm a big fan of the other two flavors, but have heard some mixed reviews. Curious to know your thoughts. Thanks.

i ran into same issue with a tub of cf lime. Vendor is going to replace with newer batch when it is available.

Top Bottom