What's new

Gillette Platinum

I used this blade tonight after having used a Polsilver super iridium last night. If I hadn't changed the blade myself, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. The characteristics of both shaves were exactly the same i.e. smooth on the WTG and XTG passes but not so great on ATG where I had to do a fair bit of tidy up to get a smooth finish. If you like the Polsilver, you'll love this.

I was kindly sent some of the St. Petersburg blades as shown in the first photo that are back in production and what a shave! Dang near bbs after 24 hrs. I'd have to rate these a smidgen better than that of the GSB which I thought would be imposible. Thank you for the pif! otherwise I would never have been treeated to such a great blade. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
proxy.php

(Stock B&B'er's photo)

(Stock B&B'er's photo)

Yeah, that's my photo and the blades are of the 'previous' manufacturing run, PPI St Petersburg made with 4 glue dots. The new source seems to be 2 glue dots as per the other blades coming out of PPI.

The above blades are called 'Maltese' Platinums, as the original source of these were from eBay seller in Malta. I'd prefer people call them 'Dark' Platinums, as opposed to the 'White' Platinums which are really the direct descendants of the Swedes:

proxy.php

These also go by the name of 'Gillette Platinum Classic' by some vendors. I get mine from a Spanish site called Iexira or something like that. They also have an eBay store.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's my photo and the blades are of the 'previous' manufacturing run, PPI St Petersburg made with 4 glue dots. The new source seems to be 2 glue dots as per the other blades coming out of PPI. These are called 'Maltese' Platinums, as the original source of these were from eBay seller in Malta. I'd prefer people call them 'Dark' Platinums, as opposed to the 'White' Platinums which are really the direct descendants of the Swedes: http://www.themonsta.id.au/de/GillettePlatinumClassic25.png These also go by the name of 'Gillette Platinum Classic' by some vendors. I get mine from a Spanish site called Iexira or something like that. They also have an eBay store.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Very informative as usual. Do you have a reliable supplier/ link to the eBay?

For the Dark Plats, only the Romanian seller exists right now.

For the Whites, you are looking well in excess of $1 per blade, Iexira or whatever they are called are reliable.

Wait what ? The Swedes are back in production ?

No, they are the spiritual successors to Swedes. Damn fine shaves, really really good. But I can buy spoilers that are cheaper than these, so no real reason to.

If I went to areas I could find them in Europe, then i would buy as many as I could. Postage is very expensive from Spain.

I found an American seller who sell individual pack of 5 for 2.25 free shipping (Not bad at all) I think I'll order 2-3 pack to try them.

I bought a hundred dark platinums from the Romanian vendor mentioned above (as well as a hundred Gillette stainlesses).
It took a while to arrive (I'm a long way away here in New Zealand), but they are great blades.
The seller is quick to communicate with, and very obliging - so I strongly recommend buying from him.
(He also isn't clipping the ticket very much on them!)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I ordered 25 from the same vendor at 1 Br Pound per pack delivered. They arrived just fine in a couple weeks or so.

Me too! Got mine today, packets were a little crushed looking, no big deal. Sharp and smooth but I'm not picky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom