What's new

Item of the Week 9/16 - Silvertip brush (any)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hello to all.

This will be the thirtieth in a series of "item of the week" threads that I am promoting in the general shave discussion forum.
The rules:

1. It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
  2. Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
  3. The weeks will start on Monday and end on Saturday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The thirtieth featured item of the week will be Silvertip Brush (any)

I started early. I've been breaking in an Omega 10066 for almost two months, so this week will be quite a change. This is my silvertip. This morning, I used it to face lather up a Garry's sample of ABCBA (great soap, by the way) and all I could think of is, man, do I miss the scritch of my Omega.

The lather was good and I had enough for 3 passes plus touch up. I forgot how much water even a well shaken and squeezed badger holds. It is a soft brush, very soft. Too soft. :) It will be an interesting week.

Last edited:
I have 2. A Kent BK8 and a Whipped Dog Silvertip set in a fantastic looking vintage Culmark handle. Face lather with the WD/Culmark and bowl lather with the BK8. Do I have to pick just one?

I'm in. I'm addicted to Silvertip so it will be easy to only use Silvertip brushes for a week. For the week, bad boar, bad black badger, and bad best badger.

I am so in! I wish I could have found this adventure earlier. I like changing things up. I have a silvertip knot from whipped dog in a vintage ever ready handle. I really love the handle's structure while holding onto it, and the color is pretty cool.
$brush2.jpg$brush1.jpg

I am so in! I wish I could have found this adventure earlier. I like changing things up. I have a silvertip knot from whipped dog in a vintage ever ready handle. I really love the handle's structure while holding onto it, and the color is pretty cool.
View attachment 368494View attachment 368495

That is a very striking brush, very very classy. I am really starting to love those vintage Ever Ready handles. They are just so retro they are cool. They also come in some very nice color combinations. I am going to keep my eye out for one this winter for a project. Maybe a blue and cream or a crimson and cream. Awesome brush.

Team Ready to Play!!
Looking Forward to Kick-Off!!

View attachment 368513

Now that isn't even right. I know it's not the biggest collection on the board, but every one of those brushes is classy and beautiful. Every one. They are all different yet they look like they belong together. If any of them need a vacation for some "alone time", I will PM you my address. Nice collection.

I will post up a pic of my two in just a second. I can't claim any credit for my newest one as I just bought it as is, but it is one of the most unique brushes I've ever seen.

Here is my newest acquisition. A vintage Culmark handle with a Whipped Dog Silvertip knot. It was just so unique and cool I had to buy it. It's not something that is normally my style, but I fell in love with the look.

View attachment 368533$SUC50563.jpg

And my first Silvertip brush, the Kent BK8. It is so luxurious and soft. Some use it for face lathering but I have a bit of trouble getting a good lather built up on my face. But put some creme in a bowl and this thing builds mountains of lather. I love it.

$DSCF2261.JPG

I don't have the selection a lot of people have. I'm not a brush or razor collector. I want to have a few of the very best things to shave with and have some variety. I think if I end up with 3-4 brushes that I really love and can function either in a bowl or face lathering; soap or cream I will be very happy. Same with razors. Maybe a half dozen razors that I absolutely love the shave I get, but enough variety to not get bored. That's all I really want. I don't have to have the biggest or most expensive collection, not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just not my style.

Last edited:
I don't know how to get rid of that last image that says "attached image". I can't figure out how to delete it. Sorry.

Great idea for a weekly topic!

I love my silvertip -- it's a Thater Chubby (4125). It has a 22mm knot. It's my only silvertip, (I have a Vulfix pure badger and a Simpson Case best badger) but it is superb for water absorbency, lather retention and feels great on my face! It also was a relative bargain compared to brands like Simpson and Kent.

Today's shave : Lijun 24mm knot silvertip (great brush for the money), Proraso green, Progress with Astra SP. One of the best combinations for me.

Well, I did a head shave and head lathered some TOBS cream in a tub with the silvertip. Meh. Too soft, no scritch, and relatively poor lather. Either I still need to figure out water/product ratio, my brush is of poor quality or it's not really made for face/head lathering. I went back to my Omega 10066 for the face and it worked extremely well.

I'll try bowl lathering tomorrow, fingers crossed!

I started off today with my Whipped Dog silvertip. I recently bought it and have used it about 6 or 7 times. The first 5 times I used it, it shed 10-15 hairs. I was starting to get worried. This morning, it didn't shed at all! Hopefully, the shedding is done. Here's the rest of my shave:

EJ DE89 w/Israeli Personna blade
Proraso Red cream
Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel
RazoRock Problem Solver After Shave

Not my favorite blade, but not bad, either!

I'm glad I checked in early in the week. I always miss these!

I'm in on the IOTW. I only have one silvertip, a Rudy Vey with about an 18mm knot. So, I'm in for the rest of the week.

IOTW, Silvertip brush week, Monday, Sep. 16th

The Pumas Mowed Down the Competition!!

AOS silvertip with brass handle + Panna Crema Vetiver
Puma 5/8 #90, which AJ 'gave away' last week on BST (thankyou!)
Two passes, then iced washcloth rinse
After the game, Alt Innsbruck splash (I need to order more already!)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning's shave:

Whipped Dog Custom
Cyril R Salter Almond
Merkur 25c
Voshkod Blade
Weleda ASB

I think the Voshkod was bad. I had to keep cleaning up and cleaning up.....couldn't get any of my trouble area's where I was happy with them. Different blade tomorrow.

Top Bottom