What's new

PR black cherry first impressions

Some time ago, I was kindly PIF'ed some PR inks :001_smile , one of them being "Black Cherry".

It's in my Pilot FCM-500 now (14K slightly soft nib, Japanese M), and my impressions are mixed. The ink flows fine, and draws an even line, without any hesitation. But I really need to get used to the color. Maybe it needs a broader nib to show its full potential, but in this Japanese M (a European F), it looks like a home grown black/red mixture that didn't turn out 100% right. To be fair, it does look like the juice from a black cherry indeed, so the naming is accurate!

I'll post some scans later, and I'll definitely try this ink in another pen. And best of all, I have three more PR ink samples to follow! :biggrin1:

(my getting used to with the color, is that it's neither brown, nor red, nor purple, nor black ... but something in between)

It is rather unique, but we all have our color preferences. You will likely find most PR inks are reasonably well behaved, although I found tanzanite to want to dry out more than other colors.

It is rather unique, but we all have our color preferences. You will likely find most PR inks are reasonably well behaved, although I found tanzanite to want to dry out more than other colors.

I must say that it's growing on me ... are the PR inks safe for piston fillers with clear ink windows? Or do they stain easily?

They are highly saturated inks... probably next in line after noodlers, but I have had it in my M205 with no trouble

I must say that it's growing on me ... are the PR inks safe for piston fillers with clear ink windows? Or do they stain easily?

They are highly saturated inks... probably next in line after noodlers, but I have had it in my M205 with no trouble

To me, they don't stain easily. However, they do dry out easy so only keep it inked if you are going to use it daily. Otherwise it's gonna be a hard starter.

To me, they don't stain easily. However, they do dry out easy so only keep it inked if you are going to use it daily. Otherwise it's gonna be a hard starter.

Are the PRs quick drying inks then? I really like some of the colours, just haven't had a chance to play with any yet. I'm hoping SWMBO got the hint and signed me up for the Ink Drop and bought a few of the samples I told her were really nice...

Cheers,

M.

Are the PRs quick drying inks then? I really like some of the colours, just haven't had a chance to play with any yet. I'm hoping SWMBO got the hint and signed me up for the Ink Drop and bought a few of the samples I told her were really nice...

Cheers,

M.

They do have some labeled specifically "quick drying". They have a decently fast drying time on paper, IMO. Just for some reason they dry out faster than others while still in the pen

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've had a PR ink permanently stain a wonderful old vintage Pelikan, use caution and don't say you weren't warned.

Top Bottom