What's new

2013-2014 BPL Football season thread

Everton have position themselves to make Sundays fixture against arsenal a very interesting one. 4 pts back with a game in hand!

YNWA! Such a dominant showing from the birds! Dare I start to get my hopes up? The style of play they are employing this year is beautiful to behold.

Bobby Martinez has certainly positioned The Blues for a magical end of the season. Much like Liverpool the other Merseyside squad controls their own destiny. Win out and we'll be playing Champions League football!

Bobby Martinez has certainly positioned The Blues for a magical end of the season. Much like Liverpool the other Merseyside squad controls their own destiny. Win out and we'll be playing Champions League football!

How much fun would the Merseyside derby be if the CL semi-finals pitted Blue v Red in 2015?

Three critical points earned at Anfield today for Liverpool. Dispatching Manchester City 3-2 on goals from Raheem Sterling, Martin Skrtel, and Phillip Continho offset David Villa and Glen Johnson's own goal. With today's win, Liverpool are 7 points clear of 3rd place Manchester City. City has two games in hand, but are no longer in control at the top of the Premier League.

Everton moved into the last Champion's League spot with a 1-0 away at Sunderland. Ex Manchester United player, Wes Brown, was kind enough to kick the ball into his own net for a 1-0 win for Everton. Here's to the Toffee's securing a CL place next year.

It isn't all gloom and doom for Arsenal as the Gunners secured a place in FA Cup final by defeating last year's FA Cup winner, Wigan. Arsenal's opponent in the final is Hull City. The Tigers defeated Sheffield United 5-3. Arsenal must be the favorite to with the FA Cup, but odd things happen at Wembley. Just ask Manchester City last spring. Entertaining or not, the FA Cup final is on Fox with Gus Johnson doing the play by play. Here is last spring's Gusgasm: http://youtu.be/rk5e8xRkT1g

This upcoming week, Everton is at home against Crystal Palace (Wednesday), and Sunday at Goodison Park against Manchester United. Liverpool travel to Carrow Road to play Norwich City. Arsenal is at home against West Ham on Tuesday, and then away to Hull City on Sunday.

The PL paid tribute to the Hillsbough 96 this weekend, with players wearing black arm bands in remembrance of those who died.

Here's to 12 more points for the Reds, giving Captain Steven Gerrard the league title missing from his most impressive domestic resume.

​YNWA

Just an American fan checking in. For the longest time I just never took the time to appreciate the game. Majority of the American sports fans are in the same situation unfortunately. This season/year I really got into in and LOVE it. Still learning, and still have a long ways to go, but looking forward to it. I really haven't got into the MLS yet. I absolutely love the BPL. Here in the states it is hard to watch a match live, but I have all the shows and matches recorded, and enjoy every moment of them. I don't have a favorite club yet. Not trying to chose one, but rather have it grow on me and just have it click in my head. But, I am enjoying the run by Liverpool and Chelsea.

Just an American fan checking in. For the longest time I just never took the time to appreciate the game. Majority of the American sports fans are in the same situation unfortunately. This season/year I really got into in and LOVE it. Still learning, and still have a long ways to go, but looking forward to it. I really haven't got into the MLS yet. I absolutely love the BPL. Here in the states it is hard to watch a match live, but I have all the shows and matches recorded, and enjoy every moment of them. I don't have a favorite club yet. Not trying to chose one, but rather have it grow on me and just have it click in my head. But, I am enjoying the run by Liverpool and Chelsea.

Had to set an alarm for this morning to watch the LFC & MCFC game live. Kickoff for me was 8:30am eastern time. Cracker of a match. Real nail biter. Glad I woke up to catch it lol. I've been following the Premier League before there was MLS, and now I still follow the BPL more.

Had to set an alarm for this morning to watch the LFC & MCFC game live. Kickoff for me was 8:30am eastern time. Cracker of a match. Real nail biter. Glad I woke up to catch it lol. I've been following the Premier League before there was MLS, and now I still follow the BPL more.

8:30am is a piece of cake. I am on the west coast. 5:30am is a bit more challenging.

All the EPL games are live on NBC Sports Network. I use the search function on AT&T U-Verse remote to find the games.

Already knew that. That is where I watch the games and dvd all the BPL weekly shows. You just have to understand the time difference between California and England. Most live matches are on at 5am here. Hard to make those. That is why I DVR them.

Everton's CL aspirations took a big hit today against Crystal Palace 3-2.

Manchester City's title hope are slimmer with a draw against Sunderland. With two games in hand against Liverpool and Chelsea, today's draw reduces the games in hand to one, needing 6 points to chase Liverpool.

Another fun weekend in the E/BPL. Let's start with Saturday. Arsenal won and stayed a point ahead of Everton for the final Champions League place for 2014-2015. Oh, and Chelsea lost. At Stamford Bridge. To Sunderland. Let that soak in for a moment.

Chelsea, needing a win to move to the top of the table until Sunday (potentially), clenched their bums a wee bit too tight (SAF reference) and lost 2-1. It was 1-1 late in the 83rd minute when Jozy Altidore drove to the end line and was fouled in the box. Referee Mike Dean pointed to the spot and Fabio Borini converted for a 2-1 Sunderland lead at Stamford Bridge. Yes, Fabio Borini, on loan from Liverpool. Let that irony sink in for a while. An American and a Liverpool contract player helping the Reds potentially win the Premier League for the first time in 24 years.

Sunday's fixtures included a trip for league leading Liverpool to Carrow Road to play Norwich City, and Everton hosting Manchester United. Everton matched Arsenal's 3 points with a 2-0 win and series sweep of Manchester United. David Moyes and Marouane Fellaini's return to Goodison Park did not go well, with the loss Manchester United can do no better than 5th place. Everton still trails Arsenal by a point for 4th in the table.

Liverpool traveled to Norwich City and the match started brightly for the Reds as Raheem Sterling struck 4 minutes into the game. Not to be outdone by the youngster, Luis Suarez notched his 30th goal of the season and Liverpool was up 2-0 and looking good. However, the bane of this year's Liverpool squad, defense and goalkeeping, brought Norwich City 2-1 just after the interval. It was Sterling time again as Raheem extended the lead to two again 3-1. Robert Snodgrass scored for the Canaries bringing on squeaky bum time for Liverpool. Liverpool played just enough defense to hold on 3-2.

Liverpool is 5 crucial points clear of second place Chelsea and 9 points clear of Manchester City (who still have 2 games in hand). A massive road win for Liverpool while the other challengers for the title faltered. A win for the Reds in Sunday's fixture at Anfield with Chelsea can virtually wrap up the Premier League title for Liverpool and bring the first league title for Steven Gerrard's resume.

​YNWA

A dreadful day at Anfield. Liverpool lost to Chelsea 2-0 and now needs help to secure the league title from Manchester City. City has 77 points with three games to play (At Everton, home to Aston Villa and West Ham). Liverpool are away to Crystal Palace and home to Newcastle United. If each team wins out, Liverpool and Manchester City will tie with 86, and Manchester City will win the league based on goal differential. Liverpool is 5 goals behind City in goal differential.

Everton's loss on Saturday doomed the Toffee's hopes for Champions League football (and influx of cash) for 2014-2015. It was a fun ride, but two losses in a row leaves Everton in 5th place, with Europa League for next year.

Ryan Giggs in his managerial debut lead Manchester United to a convincing win over Norwich City 4-0. Will Giggs get the permanent manager position? If Saturday was any indication, the answer should be yes.

The Premier league finishes Sunday morning with all games kicking off at 9 am CDT. Things we know: Manchester City needs a win or a tie at home against West Ham United to win the league title. Liverpool can win the title with a win at home against Newcastle United and a City loss (or a City tie and a huge goal total). Cardiff City and Fulham are relegated regardless of result on Sunday. Norwich is likely to be relegated.

With the World Cup taking center stage for the summer, who are your picks for lifting the FIFA World Cup trophy? The obvious pick is the home team Brazil, with my dark horse team, Belgium. No European team has won a WC in South America.

Top Bottom