What's new

Dolce Vita Naranja Pen Review

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
A rapid review of a $12.00 Shipped pen

The Good

$2013-08-13 20.32.57.jpg
The pen body material is actually a nice material, I thought it was going to be cheap plastic trying to look better then it is, but it isnt, it feels really solid and it has a tortoise type look with multiple layers reflecting light differently, ranging from bright oranges to white, I was rather surprised at how nice it appeared

The back end piece is a simple gloss black with a metal ring that line up and fit well into the pen, rather nicely done here
$2013-08-13 20.34.39.jpg
The cap trim (Sorry about the blurry cam), has some nice ornate engravings that look great on this pen, we will come back to the cap later though

$2013-08-13 20.35.09.jpg
There is a well machined ring that the grip section threads into smoothly, this may be an issue for eye dropping the pen, but with this body material you may not want to do that anyway
$2013-08-13 20.34.00.jpg
The nib is a "German Iridium Point" nib, they are good workhorse nibs that are smooth enough and much better then most chinese pens found at this price, just as a note this is a smaller version of the same nib found on my $75.00 Danitrio Cum Laude pen, they are suitable for nib grinds and will serve you well for a long time

The Bad
Seems to good to be true, well for the value some things had to give

$2013-08-13 20.34.19.jpg
The Cap is one place, where the pen body feels solid and high quality the cap feels like cheap plastic, and the clip wont do anything to keep this guy in your pocket when you bend. The black nub at the end of the clip is poorly done as well, it doesnt match up perfectly and just sits in place
A little effort could have made this a much nice presentation, specially since its the most seen part of the pen when in shirt pocket, but for a 12 buck pen, I guess I knew it wouldnt be perfect anyway

To Be Continued...​

The Ugly

$2013-08-13 20.35.24.jpg

Remember this guy, I do ! for those of you who were not part of the nib yet, or dont remember....

This is the same Chinese cheap converter that failed in my Hero and left my Cat with the Blue mohawk we love to discuss at length around here.... This converter was pitched right from the get go and it looks great in the trash where it belongs

Its a standard internation system so a replacement converter and carts were simple enough to swap in as the pen body will fit them okay

Final Thoughts

The pen looks good aside from the cheap cap clip, but with that big bright orange body surrounded buy black ends, well no one will be looking at the clip much anyway

The pen writes more then well enough for work, They are stiff nibs so no character but when writing quickly or scribbling, the pen didnt skip on beat or let up, it had great flow and a nice line

$12.00 including shipping ? more then great value on this pen, if your starting out Id say this is a safe bet for you as long as you are aware that the supplied converter isnt the best out there and may fail at some point, but you can buy nicer ones really cheap, and if the ebay seller has them he may have one he can swap in for 3 bucks or so,... still a great value

I bought this pen for a co worker who wanted one, and she loves the look of it and likes how it writes,.... she wont let people borrow it for nothing (Not even me)... I probably wont buy one for myself, but I wouldnt rule it out either​

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks good from a few feet I guess. Can that clip be re-tensioned? I occasionally need to do that on pens I pick up (from guys who had their Vacumatics in the front jeans pocket, tsk tsk).

How does the snap cap feel? I've had a couple Chinese pens that look like that same mechanism and all of a sudden, one day ... POOF. Cap falls off without any resistance, never to go back on, which I hope does not happen to you in your shirt pocket. :scared:

Congrats on the pretty color pen for your friend, Halloween is right around the corner!

Opps forgot about the snap cap,... its tight and worked well while I had the pen, once snapped on I dont think its going to pop off on its own it does take a little heft to get off, and it doesnt flop around like my Hero did once snapped on

I didnt monkey with the clip since I was giving it to a girl who isnt going to pocket it anyway, Im not sure about it, but there was flex to the clip it should bend without breaking

The pen body though, it looks great no matter how close you get to it, If i ever get to having Edison make me a pen, I would consider that exact same material for that pen, its the real winner of the pen here

I think it looks pretty good for a Chinese pen. Many of them tend to be a bit over the top, design-wise, but this looks decent. I agree with you dumping that slide converter...I can't stand them. If it was mine, I'd really be tempted to tweak that pocket clip. As Doug pointed out, a lot of vintage pens have sprung clips, and it's not that difficult to nudge them back into functionality. I'd definitely not eyedropper that pen. After a while, those metal threads would either leak like a sieve, end up corroded and rusty,or both!

Top Bottom