What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

Assuming you bought the Silver Empire Set (which you probably did), those used to get quite a bit of ink on B&B from Jeff, who had the market cornered for a while. They are certainly very smooth, especially for a moderate-aggressive razor. I don't use mine much, but I'm glad I have one ...

Brent, it might still be an Empire set, but your razor is not a Goodwill.

Your cap doesn't have the corner cutouts like the UK Goodwill. Also, the baseplate of the UK Goodwill isn't slotted like the regular NEWs (and the American Goodwill #175).

Your razor is a silver plated UK "NEW" with a US-style baseplate.

Last edited by a moderator:
L to R: UK Goodwill, UK gold washed US-style LC NEW, UK silver plated US-style LC NEW:

$CAM01886.jpg

Yours is like the one on the right.

Edgar is right again. TBH, it never occurred to me that there was a Silver Empire Set that was not a Goodwill. But, as Edgar mentioned, the UK Goodwill caps (and baseplates) have corner cutouts. Your cap has no corner indentations.

Yep. I see it now. Thanks for pointing that out Edgar. In the end I was looking for a silver LC so all is good. Never have tried a goodwill so I don't know what I am missing anyways. Ha. I am assuming it is not a mismatch set. Look forward to giving it a try.

Nice Brent. I am partial to the empire set myself. They seem to have a little variety within the group. I've had Goodwills and US styles. I have both brown and blue cases. Cases with large scales and small scales. All this, and I only have 3 or 4 sets.
Definitely a nice looking set I'm sure you'll enjoy for some time to come.

I have bar handles NEW of SC and LC. Anyone have suggestions which next NEW I should get?

There are two NEW Deluxes (15mm and 17mm wide blade guard bottoms), one of which came in a red and black set with a square-shoulder bar handle. There is also the Long Comb Goodwill. Good examples of all of these are out there.
From left to right, 15mm, 17mm, Short Comb, Long Comb, and Goodwill.
$NEW Ensemble.JPG
Good luck with the chase.

Tom

A good ball end handle has become my personal favorite. It just works well in my opinion.
That's what I used to think, too. Then I tried a Maggard MR8 handle on my News (and on ever other 3-piece razor I own). I think it looks disproportionately large, compared to the head, but using it has improved the shave on every razor I own. YMMV.

Well the French import Empire set got here pretty quick. The case is patterned and dark blue. The razor is definitely silver. Goddards shined it right up. Here are a few before and afters. The baseplate is just like Edgar's second plate above. Just a Gillette insignia and Made in England. The patent number is on the handle along with the French import stamp. Look forward to trying it out.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 239
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 241
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 242
After starting out with a Slim last month, curiosity got the best of me and I "invested" in some additional hardware. This morning, I finally had a chance to try out the New long comb with a bar handle that I picked up on the 'bay. I popped in a Polsilver SI blade that I've been using this week and lathered up. Wow! A great shave - smooth and extremely close without irritation. I may have zeroed in on the combination for me. I'll be trying a few other blades, but feel as if I could stop now.

^^ Of course not. I've got at least 2 other razors (a Maggard's open comb head with an MR-6 handle and a '46-47 Aristocrat) to try as well. I wouldn't want to ditch them without at least taking them for a spin.

That's what I used to think, too. Then I tried a Maggard MR8 handle on my News (and on ever other 3-piece razor I own). I think it looks disproportionately large, compared to the head, but using it has improved the shave on every razor I own. YMMV.
Does that Maggard Handle fit a NEW perfectly? I have found some handles don't exactly fit my NEW head. The BRW Bull Mastiff was a perfect fit but the aftermarket brass handle I have on my Old Type won't fit flushly.

Top Bottom