What's new

Using Odds and Ends to Make a Shave Stick

A few days ago, I was going through a closet and realized I had a number of odds and ends of soaps. I found some samples from MW and QCS and some tiny bits from MWF, TOBS, Speick, and Valobra. I put all of these into the freezer and after six hours grated them and mixed them all together. I added a little Proraso I had left over from a tube. I put the resulting mixture into a twist tube I bought from WCS. Today for the first time I used these mixture. The end result was a nice lather. The scent was nondescript and next time around I may add some fragrance to the mix.

$Frankensoap.jpg

Very cool, Jim. That's somewhat reminiscent of the shaving soaps used by many of our fathers and grandfathers. Either because of necessity or frugality, once a bar of hand or bath soap (probably the same, now that I think of it) became too small to use, it found a new home in dad's shaving mug. Anyway, I need to order a few shave stick holders since I also have accumulated a fair number of soap samples. Great idea!

Great idea! Did you just pack in the gratings and press down? I have an extra twist-up from WCS so I will have to see what I can create. This would be a good use for soap samples too. I find those kind of hard to use.

I once had a sample of a pipe tobacco from one of the English blenders called Pensioner's Mix, that was the same idea. They just threw together whatever leftovers they had and sold it at a discount. The batch I had contained something I didn't like. Hitting a sort of benign neutral scent is a win in my book

Great idea! Did you just pack in the gratings and press down? I have an extra twist-up from WCS so I will have to see what I can create. This would be a good use for soap samples too. I find those kind of hard to use.

Yes I grated them and thoroughly mixed them together. The largest component was a small wedge of MWF.

Top Bottom