What's new

Buongiorno da Firenze!

I'm about 2 weeks into DE shaving now...

While both my AOS Lemon Essential Oil Cream and pre-shave oil have been very nice (lathers up something fierce) to my face, after reading all the great reviews here, I couldn't help myself and decided to get some Proraso cream and pre-shave. I got two tubes (one green, one red), and the green pre-shave.

I was a bit worried that the menthol may be a bit too much, coupled with my less-than honed razor technique and thought maybe I should stick with the AOS lemon oil pre-shave and lemon cream till I get better at this.

Well, this morning I rubbed in some pre-shave 'dalla linea verde' and fell in love with the menthol :001_tt1:.

I had used Gillette Menthol goo when I was in Singapore, which was nice, but...

Then, I lathered up with the cream (green tube, of course; I was already in for keeps) and got a nice yoghourt consistency quickly. After a bit more water, I went to work and also quickly noticed that the used soap on the razor had quite a different consistency in my rinsing 'bowl' compared to the AOS cream. The blade glided across the face nicely, and while I didn't know the final result yet, I did know I was in for a change!

Long story short, today I only needed two passes for a DFS and I had NO irritation. This was my second shave on an IP Red, BTW. My face is still tingling with a pleasant sensation 1.5 hours later.

'Ironic how I immediately recognised the green and red stripes on the packaging and quickly remembered passing that 'decor' in all the Italian supermarkets so many times. Well, now I know. It's as right as espresso / prosciutto di parma / mortadella / pastiglie leone ... ... ...

Sorry for the rant - I know it's nothing new to so many here, but I hope that today you live vicariously through my mentholated morning epiphany. It had such a narcotic effect :w00t: and I can see this becoming my go to product. I can always pay a visit to the Essence of Lemon when I'd like :001_tongu

Proraso is benne! Seriously good gear and offers a startlingly comforting end-to-end delightful shave.

Mate of mine here used to be in the Carabinieri back in Italy and those crazy cats used to get issued Raso as their SOP shave kit. Only in Italy...

Glad to have you aboard! That first real menthol shave is definitely an eye opener, a revelation! If you enjoyed it with Proraso, allow me to enable you further and recommend Queen Charlotte Soaps Vostok soap or cream. Pretty sure most will agree its the coldest stuff available and a great shave as well!

Another DFS today with the Proraso Pre-Shave and Cream (Green), even though I was suspicious of not-so-great results on account of changing my passes to better represent my true grain (WTG, XTG). Still no irritation, other than one little trouble spot that I really grated up with the first few shaves; All of this with a 'gentle' ATG pass, which is great! :w00t:

Today i didn't get such a good lather, even though it was still slick enough to do a fantastic job. I'll have to practice with this cream a little more to get it where I can get multiple passes with what's left on the brush (if that's what I'm aiming for?). Today I had to add more cream for each pass as I didn't even have enough left in the bowl, but I suppose this is the way of things when changing to a new product before getting used to it.

This shave was noticeably better than yesterday, so progress is being made!

Thanks again for all of your help, fellas!

My face was a little stingy today because I changed my routine a little too much. I slapped on some more green pre-post shave and it really hit the spot. I know it's a few hours post-shave and all, but I can't help myself and my face is thanking me for it as well!

if anyone here has ever been to Bavaria and experienced snuff (Schnupftabak), there is a product that is purely mentholated grape sugar (and has no tobacco) that is consumed the same way. Pure menthol! There, I've confessed. I've combined this with shaving :osage:

Top Bottom