What's new

What classifies BBS?

I get GREAT shaves with everything I use. As smooth as can be WHILE FEELING WTG after a shave. I always see posts about BBS shaves, which I can kind of guess what is meant by that abbreviation. But what confuses me is are you guys getting BBS shaves when testing/feeling ATG with your hand after a shave? I will always have resistance in that direction no matter if I do an ATG third pass or not. Does BBS mean smooth in WTG direction or all?

BBS - Baby's bum smooth - means smooth to the touch in every direction.
Don't feel that you have to aim for it every time, or even at all, just look at getting a shave that's comfortable and good enough for you.

BBS - Baby's bum smooth - means smooth to the touch in every direction.
Don't feel that you have to aim for it every time, or even at all, just look at getting a shave that's comfortable and good enough for you.
Yeah, I think that's pretty good advice. I have never really been able to get a proper BBS shave, whether with a DE, cartridge (I hate them anyway! :tongue_sm) or with a straight, save for once or twice with a CJB replaceable blade razor.

Most of the time, I can get a pretty good shave, where I still feel stubble on my neck going ATG, but its so short that I am happy enough with it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I get GREAT shaves with everything I use. As smooth as can be WHILE FEELING WTG after a shave. I always see posts about BBS shaves, which I can kind of guess what is meant by that abbreviation. But what confuses me is are you guys getting BBS shaves when testing/feeling ATG with your hand after a shave? I will always have resistance in that direction no matter if I do an ATG third pass or not. Does BBS mean smooth in WTG direction or all?

If you feel at the time of the shave, that this particular shave is your best ever? Then that is BBS my friend. Regardless of what you feel which way.

To achieve a BBS you also need to know the way your beard grows in order to know the angles to use to get the BBS. I was never able to get a true BBS until I knew which way my beard grew. Now I'm able to get a BBS on every shave, and once you get that I personally like to have that every time.

I always classified BBS, for me, as being smooth and feeling no stubble in ANY direction. I have been able to get this, though I wouldn't say it was perfect. There was always one or two little spots somewhere that I missed. At my skill level, to go back and try and touch up every single little spot so that no matter where I touch is BBS would just be overkill. I would ruin my face. Usually BBS and irritation go hand in hand for me, so far. The irritation wont be really bad or anything, but its there. When not working, normally on a weekend or something, I'll only do one pass WTG and it gets close enough to where I look presentable and it leaves me with very minimal irritation. I am satisfied with that. Honestly, one WTG pass with my straight gives me just as good, if not better a shave than what my Shick Hydro Mach-fusion flux capacator 5002332 gave me.

Hi,

I can do a decent shave in one pass with my New Long Comb, Super Speed Red Tip or my Slant. I can do DFS in two passes if I then use my Early Tech. This is what I do on a daily basis.

BBS I can get if I follow with a third pass using my SS Blue Tip. That is the razor no one can ever tell it does anything at all as it is so mild. Oh, and it has to have a new blade in it to pull off BBS. Then, I need an ice cube to kill the slight burn I am left with.

I reserve BBS for special occasions, like weddings and funerals, where I feel I need to take the extra effort.

Stan

In my book a BBs is the feeling of porcelain all over your beard area, whatever way you are moving your fingertip. Not one whisker standing...
FWIW I have achieved this every time I have shaved for the last five years at least. I DE shave once a day and have been doing so for the last 8 years.

A BBS is nothing to strive for, the important thing is that you enjoy your shaves!

Okay. Good to know what's possible. I get near BBS all directions on my face but there is no way I have ever had that on my neck. Guess I gotta pay more attention to beard direction and refine my ATG passes on my neck. I am satisfied and astounded at the shaves I get. But like others above, I feel the need to strive for that porcelain feeling every shave.

I quit trying for BBS, because I just can't get it under and parallel to my jawline, especially with a straight. My growth pattern there is chin to ear, on both sides. It's just not worth the irritation and possible cuts to achieve something only I'll feel and notice.

Okay. Good to know what's possible. I get near BBS all directions on my face but there is no way I have ever had that on my neck. Guess I gotta pay more attention to beard direction and refine my ATG passes on my neck. I am satisfied and astounded at the shaves I get. But like others above, I feel the need to strive for that porcelain feeling every shave.
I was able to elevate my shaves on the neck by a close mapping and a thorough prep consisting of washing the face during the prep shower with a cloth loaded with MR GLO and rubbing ATG.
Also use a very slippery soap (I use MdC, Pré de Provence and Mystic Waters).

The magic happens for me after my XTG and ATG. I then do a free form last pass without adding soap, by ' stretching the mix'. You can check this at the Hydrolast website. Beware that the owner Charles Roberts is a very special guy :001_rolle!

Enjoy your shaves!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
BBS to me means no stubble pokies anywhere on the face you would normally have if you didnt shave. It is VERY difficult to get a true 100% BBS IMO, most of the time I have a few left overs on my jawline. I could dig in deep to get them, but the effort and razor burn isn't worth it to me. YMMV.

The mythical quest for BBS... I achieved this once, early into DE shaving. It's never happened again. After I figured out my beard map (directions hair grows in) I always get a DFS. I think a lot depends on what kind of beard you have.

"BBS" is: no stubble in any direction.

A "perfect shave" is: smooth enough, looking good, and with a great feeling skin.

Let me give you my take on the "perfect BBS." You are going to learn how to shave all parts of your face perfectly, but on just about every given shave you are going to overlook a spot or two. If you're a perfectionist like me, it's liberating to know that I can miss a spot yet know I have mastered straight shaving.

Let me give you my take on the "perfect BBS." You are going to learn how to shave all parts of your face perfectly, but on just about every given shave you are going to overlook a spot or two. If you're a perfectionist like me, it's liberating to know that I can miss a spot yet know I have mastered straight shaving.
That is some good advice. I see what your saying. I am content getting great shaves but its amazing how many people throw around the term BBS. I just had to know what that meant for them. I think in time, with technique improvements and better blade edges coming along with my honing I might start striving for that on my neck. But right now like others above its not worth the irritation when I'm doing that essentially fourth pass trying to get rid of that minute ATG pokiness.

It's definitely not about perfection. BBS or not - it should be enjoyable and satisfying.
Anything after that is just sprinkles on the cupcake.

That is some good advice. I see what your saying. I am content getting great shaves but its amazing how many people throw around the term BBS. I just had to know what that meant for them.
I think there is a very clear definition of BBS; as smooth as a baby. Have you ever felt just one piece of stubble on a baby skin? BBS is 100% stubble free skin, in each direction.

I personally don't care about BBS, I just want a good shave.

Top Bottom