What's new

Arkansas ? Any info on this stone?

I think they're made from reconstituted Arkansas stone powder.
Dont know if they're all the same grit, I'd guess that theyre less fine than needed to finish a razor.
Not convinced the abrasive particles are all that consistent, so before using it to hone a razor I think testing it would be a good idea. Mostly, I think they're for tools, maybe cutlery.

Thanks,
It's supper hard and smooth as glass the picture is a bit deceiving but definitely finer than my 8K Norton. But no I'm not going to try it on a razor until I can learn a bit more about it.
I read a few things on here about some arkansas being pretty good so I thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
The word "Arkeram" was easily Googleable and Gamma turns out to be right. It's reconstituted arkie stone powder fired in a kiln. Couldn't find any grit ratings, but did see this:

The second type is a soft Arkansas stone called Arkeram, made from extra fine Arkansas stone powder that is molded into the desired shape then fired and bonded in a kiln. Soft Arkeram Arkansas stones have a faster cutting action but need to be dressed back into shape more often.

Only one way to try really.

Take a somewhat junker SHAVE READY razor to it and then strop and shave and see what it can do.

Back when I bought my first Arks there was a lot of buzz about those types of stones.
Most of the chatter was unfavorable and a lot of people were paranoid about buying Arks and getting stuck with fake stones.

I would take a chisel with a broad face and run it over the stone a few times to be sure I hit the whole top of the stone, and then loupe the scratch pattern.
Then a knife or two and if all is well then a beater razor.

Last edited:
Thanks again, I think I'll just leave it in the closet for tools. It seems really fine but I'm not going to risk it with this info.

The word "Arkeram" was easily Googleable and Gamma turns out to be right. It's reconstituted arkie stone powder fired in a kiln. Couldn't find any grit ratings, but did see this:

The second type is a soft Arkansas stone called Arkeram, made from extra fine Arkansas stone powder that is molded into the desired shape then fired and bonded in a kiln. Soft Arkeram Arkansas stones have a faster cutting action but need to be dressed back into shape more often.
I googled Arkerem West Germany and I think the West Germany part screwed up my search results.

Thanks again, I think I'll just leave it in the closet for tools. It seems really fine but I'm not going to risk it with this info.

There's no risk in using a junker of a razor on it and giving it a shave test. Think about what we put our razors on... some guys use DMT 325's on them. A few passes, guaranteed, will not do any damage that can't be corrected quickly.

Top Bottom