What's new

The best Scotch, Bourbon, and Whiskey for a beginner

There is no answer to this inquiry. Most everyone has different tastes. If you look on here and other liquor threads on B&B, there is both hate and love for just about any brand of whisky/whiskey. Even the expensive scotch brands have their detractors (I am one of those). No one can tell you what you will like - the only answer is to jump in and buy something. As my father would say "suck it up sunshine - get off your rump and move off dead center".

There is no answer to this inquiry. Most everyone has different tastes. If you look on here and other liquor threads on B&B, there is both hate and love for just about any brand of whisky/whiskey. Even the expensive scotch brands have their detractors (I am one of those). No one can tell you what you will like - the only answer is to jump in and buy something. As my father would say "suck it up sunshine - get off your rump and move off dead center".

Perhaps no one single correct answer, but there is at least correct answer, and that would be "Anything but J&B" :wink:

For beginners - Macallan 12, really nice mild malt. If your going cheap blend, I'd go Famous Grouse.

Thank you all for the great advice. Seems there is plenty to try. I think a few folks got carried away and just started listing favorites, rather than beginners. However, this is all very helpful in developing my tastes.
I went out and purchased some small minibar sized bottles. I picked up a Gentleman Jack, Makers Mark, Jameson (which I've obviously already tried before, but it'd be nice to taste some side by side), and some JD. These were the easiest to find in small quantities, I'll branch out next time. Starting with whiskeys for now. So far, the Jameson is the smoothest and most familiar to my palate. Drank over ice, I'll try them all neat next time.

For a real beginner, I really think you should try at least one drink each of Kessler, Old Crow, Cutty Shark and Seagrams 7 just to be able to tell the difference between good liquor and not so great liquor that is mass marketed.

I can not speak for Scotch, but I can however, speak for bourbon. For a beginner, it is difficult not to go the Maker's route. It is the gateway bourbon. Get that, try it several different ways & decide how you enjoy it. Then finish the bottle. Great for mixing & always nice neat. (Doesn't really need a cube personally.) THEN, after that look at things in certain price points similar. Try and go sub 50%ABV/100 proof from the start. For under 30, Eagle Rare, Larceny by the Heaven Hill distillery is fantastic if you enjoy the Maker's, but Four Roses Small Batch is some of the best bourbon around for the price. I just suggest you don't go & buy something that's $38 or up. And please don't go & buy Booker's! Its $50+ and 135+ proof. It is a GREAT bottle of booze but for a beginner, think more milder. Honestly even for $19+/-, Old Grand Dad BIB is great stuff! Enjoy whatever you choose, try it & drink it any way you like (without soda!) and sip it! :thumbup:

Bourbons: Man, I am not a fan of Knob Creek, it is too hot. I love Bullit Rye and Basil Hayden, but Maker's Mark is ok.
Scotch: Stay away from mossy scotches (like Ardberg) in the beginning or, like me, you'll never drink scotch again.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with the classics to get started:
Scotch: Johnnie Walker Black Label
Bourbon: Wild Turkey 101
Whiskey: Jack Daniels Black Label

I wouldn't go for the high-end stuff until get a taste of the middle of the road offerings.

It's interesting to read the comparisons between Jim Beam, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden, because they are all owned and make by Beam, and all are made with the same mashbill. Jim Beam White Label (the standard stuff) is aged 4 years, Jim Beam Black Label is aged 8 years, Knob Creek is the same and aged 9 years (the extra year is worth it, IMO, but it is just "old Jim Beam"). The Single Barrel Knob Creek is 9 year old Jim Beam just bottled from individual barrels. And, Basil Hayden is also the same mashbill, if memory serves me correctly.

As bourbon goes, I'm a fan of Wild Turkey 101, Russel's Reserve 10 year, WT Rare Breed (barrel strength), and Kentucky Spirit (single barrel). I'm also a fan of Elijah Craig 12yr (one of the cheapest and oldest you can get, very affordable for most). Also, Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch are fantastic on their own merits. Four Roses Yellow Label is a solid mixer, and is unoffensive straight. Evan Williams Single Barrel is a nice whisky.

And, if you get the chance to get some Larceny Bourbon, you can get a better taste of what a "wheater" can be. Maker's Mark is a wheated bourbon (wheat is the secondary grain instead of rye). And, the flavor is difference because of it. Maker's Mark is boring and not worth the price, IMO, but Larceny and Weller are two other wheaters that are far better.

I'm not much of a Scotch guy so I can't comment.

And, to whomever said Jack Daniel's isn't bourbon: JD meet all federal requirements to be called bourbon (Produced in the United States, made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn, aged in new, charred-oak barrels,distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof, entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof, and be bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more). So they could call it bourbon if they wanted to...but they also do a secondary charcoal filtering called the "Lincoln County process" but this does not preclude it from being called bourbon, they simply don't market or label it as bourbon.

Legion

Staff member
Perhaps no one single correct answer, but there is at least correct answer, and that would be "Anything but J&B" :wink:

Haha. I was watching the old Charlton Heston movie The Omega Man last night. He's the last guy on Earth, and can pick through all the bottle shops in the city, for whatever he wants, for free, and he was drinking J&B. What the...??

$2825597795_b314b10848_o.jpg

Last night I had a Makers, and Knob Creek back to back, over ice.
I have to say I enjoyed the Makers much more-so than Knob Creek. Can't really say exactly what I didn't care for in the KC, it could have just been a harshness that wasn't present in the Makers.
I also bought a mini bottle of JD Tennessee Honey the other night. I know its a blend, but obviously that one was the easiest to drink due to the sweetness. However, I don't think I could drink that one all evening. Seems like it would be more of a dessert.

I believe the best starter bourbon is Eagle Rare 10yr, Bulleit (regular), or Four Roses Small Batch. All under $25+.
I am a 1 trick pony. I can speak volumes about bourbon...Scotch however, well my ancestry is Irish :tongue_sm

I'm a newbie here at B&B but I've done a lot of bourbons over the past 3 years. Knob Creek gets all the press, but for the price I think Jim Beam Black is unbeatable. It's a very solid bourbon for the price. I think it gets overlooked a lot because it has the Jim Beam name. Buffalo Trace is another great one for the price, but it has more rye in the mash bill, so it's going to be spicier. If you like the spice, Bulleit is another favorite. And since you liked Jameson, try Powers Gold Label. It's an Irish whiskey that's really good and cheaper than Jameson. It's a lot of fun trying them. Happy hunting.

As someone who went 20 years thinking I didn't like whiskey -- perhaps my perspective can help. I only started drinking them in the last few years, being primarily a Rum, Tequila and wine drinker before. Now I have far more whiskey in my bar than any of the others aside from red wine.

My "gateway" was Bushmill's Black Bush. An Irish friend of mine sat me down and said "Jimbo, this is what we're drinkin."
A whole new world was revealed that day.
After that I tried Scotch. Previously I HATED Scotch. I had tried it and it tasted like crap. Probably where my dislike of all whisky came from... Anyway, I was recommended to try The Balvenie as it seems to incorporate a lot of Irish Whiskey notes, while still being distinctively Scotch. (Try the Caribbean Cask) But it is nowhere near the big, overpowering peaty, smoky Scotches that people think of when talking about Scottish Whiskys.
From there, I moved into American Whiskeys and Bourbons. My everyday is Evan Williams Black. I like it a bit better than Jack. My special occasion ones are Basil Hayden, Bakers (Delicious but very strong!)and Bulleit.

Anyway -- that's my story coming at it as a recent whiskey noob also. Take from it what you will. Of course your mileage may vary.
And of course, I'm still learning too.

Top Bottom