What's new

Best < $5 Shaving Soaps

Which are your favorite soaps FOR $5 OR LESS?

• Palmolive Classic Stick

• Williams

• Van der Hagen Deluxe

• Erasmic Stick

• Col Conk

• Godrej Shaving Round

• Honey Bee

• Mama Bears

• Ogallala

• La Toja Stick

• Cella

• Klar Kabinett

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm doing research to assemble super cost-effective DE starter gift kits for about $20, and am looking for suggestions for the best shaving soaps for $5 or less. I want to include a puck or stick in each kit which will perform well, easily providing lots of slick, protective, moisturizing, high performance lather with delightful fragrance. I'm shopping in the USA, so I'd very much appreciate links to the lowest cost provider (product + shipping) in/to the USA.

If I can find sticks and pucks for under $5 that's great, but I also realize that perhaps the way to provide some of the best/most popular soaps is to buy a large brick of something popular (eg. Cella, Klar Kabinett) and mill that down into individual tubs each containing a few ounces. Each kit should contain enough supplies to last about six months. While I haven't done the research on Cella, for instance, it would need to be able to be split into tubs each one providing 4-6 months of shaves for under $5.

My research includes soaps culled from B&B and other shaving forums.

FYI, I've posted a similar thread in the Shaving Creams forum to find the best creams for $5 or less.

PLEASE VOTE, ADD TO MY LIST, COMMENT & SUGGEST: is there a certain formula that performs better? a favorite fragrance? a smaller, or perhaps sample puck at a better price? a discount supplier? I'd be delighted and surprised if there were one supplier from whom I could order most or all at once, and thus cut down shipping costs. I've included Cella and Klar Kabinett because those are easily milled down into tubs each providing 4-6 months of lathers for $5. BUT, if you know of a great soap which isn't on the list but could and should be because once milled it would come out to less than $5/4-6 months of shaves, do please include it in your post and a link to the best/lowest price supplier. Please DO NOT include the premium brands (eg, MdC) which, even milled down, would not provide at least four months of shaving lather for $5. Also, for soaps which are available in many scents (Col Conk, Honey Bee, Mama Bears, Ogallala), what are your favorite and/or the most popular fragrances?

1. Palmolive Classic Stick $1.09
  2. Williams $1.50
  3. Arko Stick $2*
  4. Van der Hagen deluxe $2.50
  5. Erasmic Shave Stick $2.50
  6. Col Conk Bay (which fragrance) 2.25 oz $3.25
  7. Godrej Shaving Round $3.00
  8. Honey Bee (which fragrance?!) $4.50
  9. Mama Bears (which fragrance?!) $4.50
  10. Ogallala (which fragrance?) $4.75
  11. La Toja stick $5
  12. Cella 1Kg $37 (~$1/oz)
  13. Klar Kabinett 500g $20 (~$1.1/oz)
* I've left Arko off the voting because I wanted to include all the soaps above but the poll maxes out at 12 options and I know - we ALL know - Arko will get tons of love, possibly more than anything else on the list. If you feel that I've made a mistake, please vote above AND include your vote for Arko by posting, below. This is neither a contest, nor a scientific study of any sort (there are many other potential soaps which could be on the list, but just didn't seem to get that much love on B&B, or shipping costs seem prohibitive, etc.), but useful feedback to help guide my choice for this personal DE starter gift kit. THANKS!!!

Last edited:
I've only used vdh and Williams so far. While I think I like the shave from Williams a little better, vdh is quite a bit easier to lather, so it might be better in a beginner kit.

Haven't tried any of the others, but I am a stick fan as I like GZD which is another Turkish stick on par with Arko.

+1. I just ordered a few pucks from him.
Hmmmm, thanks DelawareGuy and KSBlazer, for the heads up on Stirling. I'd noticed some recent activity of his seeking feedback to help perfect his shaving soaps. I'm all for supporting artisanal makers focused on our community, and generally tend to prefer something handmade by small, family run companies (Mama Bear, Honey Bee, and Ogallala being leading contenders on the list thus far), so do please share your experience with his shaving soaps here on latherability, lather slickness, thickness, protectiveness, durability, moisturization, fragrances, etc. His Sheep Soap Scots Pine seems appealing. Honeysuckle and Lilac, too. $3 bucks a 4 oz puck is pretty good. Anyone else with experience of Stirling soaps, please chime in.

Last edited:
Soap is a YMMV thing. MB is my #1 but some guys are sensitive to the EO/FO. Arko produced great lather but was very drying for me. Williams is good and inexpensive but tough for some guys to lather. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with VDH and while it may not be the best soap I think it is a "safe" start for the majority.

From that list, Cella was my choice. But when I think of a $5 soap, I'm thinking "I have $5 to spend on a soap, now! What do I buy." If that were the question, the choices would be different and Arko would win, easily (based on the soaps I have tried, which isn't many). VDH is pretty good for $2 and change, too.

Top Bottom