What's new

Best < $5 Shaving Soaps

Which are your favorite soaps FOR $5 OR LESS?

• Palmolive Classic Stick

• Williams

• Van der Hagen Deluxe

• Erasmic Stick

• Col Conk

• Godrej Shaving Round

• Honey Bee

• Mama Bears

• Ogallala

• La Toja Stick

• Cella

• Klar Kabinett

Results are only viewable after voting.
For me was La Toja Shave Stick as this has been a favorite of mine for some time. It produce great lather that is everything you want in a Shave Soap plus it truly has a unique fragrance with a hint of mineral salt. I think I have seen Speick Shave stick for $4.99 which I place even with Palmolive shave stick.

I've only tried three on the list (Mama Bear, Ogallala, La Toja) and not only is La Toja the best of the three, it's my second favorite soap of any price and the only one of the three I'll buy again.

As far as getting four months of use for $5 worth of soap, I'll suggest Crabtree & Evelyn. A 3.5 oz puck is $9. I've used my Nomad quite a few times and I can still see the design stamped on the top.

Hmmmm, thanks DelawareGuy and KSBlazer, for the heads up on Stirling. I'd noticed some recent activity of his seeking feedback to help perfect his shaving soaps. I'm all for supporting artisanal makers focused on our community, and generally tend to prefer something handmade by small, family run companies (Mama Bear, Honey Bee, and Ogallala being leading contenders on the list thus far), so do please share your experience with his shaving soaps here on latherability, lather slickness, thickness, protectiveness, durability, moisturization, fragrances, etc. His Sheep Soap Scots Pine seems appealing. Honeysuckle and Lilac, too. $3 bucks a 4 oz puck is pretty good. Anyone else with experience of Stirling soaps, please chime in.

Are you sure you are looking at his shaving soaps and not his body soaps? I don't see Honeysuckle and Lilac

Here is a link to the shave soaps

http://stirlingsoap.com/shave.html

My vote for Stirling soap also. You will not find a better soap for 5 clams anywhere. His soap is slick as white lithium grease and your face is smooth and soft. A supreme value for the money. Until you add it to your list, I'm out.

For a $5 soap. I''ve been eyeing Stirling Soaps. They are scented and have contain tallow, which I prefer.

Rod has been working hard using our feedback to produce a quality shave soap.

Here is a link to his site

http://stirlingsoap.com/index.html

I just oordered some the other night he emailed me that one of the soaps needed to cure for a couple of days so he is sending me some sample soaps to make up for the extra time I have to wait that was somthing I didn't expect

Well, the Stirling insurgency social soap-love campaign is working. I eagerly await Rod's 6-piece sampler. This also means I really should try the other leading contenders, as well, which I've not yet sampled -- Palmolive, La Toja, Cella and Ogallala. Palmolive and La Toja are easy and inexpensive enough to pick up at Pasteur's. Anyone know where can I get an inexpensive a sample of Ogallala and Cella?

And I'll have to pull out my Arko stick, again, to compare. I picked that up five months ago in my first month of DE shaving, and recall waves of nostalgia induced by its Ivory-soap-like fragrance which took me back to grade school, and that it performed rather well -- for a $2 soap (or even a $4 or $6 soap). But didn't inspire me to use it more than occasionally. Since my budget is $5, if I can get a $5 soap which performs like a $10-15 soap, that's even better than a $2 soap which performs like a $6 or even $8 soap. My goal is to get guys to be intrigued enough to try the DE red-pill and then get seduced by it. While I like Arko, especially for that price, I've not loved it, not been seduced by it, like I have been by Klar Kabinett (and others outside this budget).

And then, there's always the possibility of providing a soap sampler in each kit with several soap samples, maybe even six (one for each month). Hmmmmm....

Last edited:
The VdH Deluxe is my day-to-day soap. It's easy to lather and does a good job for the shave. Plus, I know I can pick up a puck on just about any base out there.

That Stirling does look good, though. I may have to try some after I finish a puck.

If anything, this list shows that you don't need to pay more than $1.50 (make it EUR 1.50 here in Europe, due to VAT and higher prices) for a good soap.

Just shaved with Arko again this morning, based on the hue and cry. A nice shave, again. But that Ivory-ish smell is familiar in good and not so good ways, somewhat downmarket, a bit institutional. I'll have to compare directly to the others. I must try Palmolive Classic, La Toja, Stirling.

Last edited:
VDH Deluxe is definitely my pick, though Walgreens isn't the best place to get it. My nearest Food Lion they sell the pucks for $1.79 a pop, and I think it might be even cheaper at WalMart.

I like VDH Luxury even better and I can typically find it for $3.99 for a 3.5 oz puck at Harris Teeter.

If you can find La Toja for under 5 bucks you can probably find Lea too.
Both as good as Arko without the potential smell issues. I like a bit more scent than either of them give off but that's their only fault...

This brings to mind the fact that I see DE blade samplers but not soaps. I can get VDH and Williams locally, but none of the other above soaps.

I am a bit besotted with Proraso at the moment - you guys don't help! :)

I'll go with Palmolive. I do also like VDH and put it right up there with the Palmolive. The VDH is more moisturizing or so it seems. I wouldn't put ARKO on the list for my personal preferences because it does not seem to have any moisturizing capabilities. The VDH can get just a bit boring, so I choose the Palmolive.

None of the above.
I've used a few and they don't get along with my skin after 3-5 uses.

Of the "under $5"... Arko... but it is not my "favorite" nor a daily.

Top Bottom