What's new

Quality umbrella

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Fellas - any recommendations for a quality umbrella?
I'm looking for a stick or cane umbrella, not a collapsible.

Absolutely NOT looking for the current mass produced junk that you typically find in an average shopping center.

While my hearts desire is a black silk one with a wood shaft and handle as in those currently being produced in the UK, I am realistic enough to realize that I don't really want to spend 600 dollars on an umbrella.
I'm just looking for a very good quality stick or cane umbrella that wasn't hobbled together in a sweat shop somewhere and which will likely as not fall apart within a season or two.

Any advice from the tastefully attired gents at B&B would be appreciated.

Filson's Cover Cloth umbrella has server me well.

http://www.filson.com/products/cover-cloth-umbrella.69009.html

Oertel's Handmade line has some nice items at surprisingly reasonable prices, once you deduct VAT (sorry for the huge pictures).

$handmade-classic-1.jpg

$handmade-classic-v-streifen_1.jpg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I've always wanted a Brigg umbrella from Swaine Adeney Brigg but if I know me (and I think that I do :rolleyes: ), I'm pretty sure I would leave it somewhere.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've always wanted a Brigg umbrella from Swaine Adeney Brigg but if I know me (and I think that I do :rolleyes: ), I'm pretty sure I would leave it somewhere.

Yeah, that's the 600 ones I was talking about, and they have some sweet ones for even more. And you're right, the more I spend, the odds increase that I'll leave it somewhere.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Phil:
I happen to really my Knirps Topmatic SL umbrella...great quality and durability (steel frame wood handle)! :thumbsup:

proxy.php

"Exquisite design that speaks for itself. Impressive performance that lasts and lasts. In short, the Topmatic SL is a real star among telescopic umbrellas".
proxy.php

Read More: http://www.knirps.com/en/folded/topmatic-sl-crook-wood#panel-2

Read More: http://www.rainorshine.biz/invoice_variant.cgi?rm=edit&product_id=74523

proxy.php
"Before it rains, don't forget your umbrella because life is full of surprises"! CBJ

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil:
I happen to really my Knirps Topmatic SL umbrella...great quality and durability (steel frame wood handle)! :thumbsup:

proxy.php

"Exquisite design that speaks for itself. Impressive performance that lasts and lasts. In short, the Topmatic SL is a real star among telescopic umbrellas".
proxy.php

Read More: http://www.knirps.com/en/folded/topmatic-sl-crook-wood#panel-2

Read More: http://www.rainorshine.biz/invoice_variant.cgi?rm=edit&product_id=74523

proxy.php
"Before it rains, don't forget your umbrella because life is full of surprises"! CBJ

I actually looked at the Knirps, but they all seem to be rather diminutive. While the quality seems ok, it's not nearly as long as I'm looking for (a cane or stick umbrella).

So far, the Oertel seems to be the best bet. I like that Oertel says "no plastic parts are used at all".

Legion

Staff member
It's funny, I was going to post this same thread today. It might have been my walk home in the rain that inspired it... I usually use free umbrellas which I have been given, usually with someone logo or branding on it. It would be nice to have a classic black one which would last beyond the first time it is turned inside out by the wind.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm leaning toward the Oertel Handmade Classic 1, even though it has a steel shaft rather than a one piece wood shaft.
The wood shaft models that I like are too long and too large.

The Classic 1 is 96cm tall and 112cm in diameter. It's the 10 rib model, which I prefer over the 8 rib.

It's the first one Henry mentioned in his post above.

attachment.php

Unfortunately, Brooks Brothers, London Fog, etc., no longer sell good umbrellas. You may want to check out ebay for vintage umbrellas.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Unfortunately, Brooks Brothers, London Fog, etc., no longer sell good umbrellas. You may want to check out ebay for vintage umbrellas.

I've been looking there periodically for the last few weeks, but unfortunately most of what I've seen there is pretty ratty looking.
I'll keep the eyeballs peeled though.

I looked at Brooks Bros (which used to be pretty good quality stuff once upon a time) and they've gone the department store route with plastic stuff made in China.
I don't have an issue with items made in China per se, but almost everything you can buy off the shelf now here in the U.S. is made in China and I haven't seen anything that dissuades my opinion that it's just cheap use and toss junk.

Legion

Staff member
Hmmm. That looks like just what I want. Maybe a little rich for my blood, but I'll think on it.

Phil, did you order yours from the UK? What did it cost you? PM me, if you don't mind me asking.

Last edited:
I just picked up a bargain in my local 2nd hand store for £2. A vintage Samuel Fox. The model is called "Carless" so I'm assuming it was made when not every one had a car. It has a little 9ct gold plated collar, and when you open it, it has a sound when it locks open that just whispers quality. Isn't it funny how good quality gear even sounds different to cheap shoddy gear. It also has a very Steed like "Whangee" handle. Lots of info on "Fox umbrellas" you might find useful.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hmmm. That looks like just what I want. Maybe a little rich for my blood, but I'll think on it.

Phil, did you order yours from the UK? What did it cost you? PM me, if you don't mind me asking.

List price was $191.79 plus $39.00 shipping via UPS 3 - 5 business days for a total of $230.79
A bargain for a handmade umbrella with 10 ribs and no plastic parts.

My biggest fear now is that since I'm committed, someone will come in here and post a link to where I could get it for half price :lol:

Top Bottom