What's new

Help me choose a razor

Hello everyone.

I need some help to choose a razor, the problem is budget and shipping (international).
I was searching on ebay and the good razors like DOVO are at $140.00, so searching more I found two razors that I know aren't recommended but maybe with a little work can do a good shave:

The FROST 40th Anniversary straight razor for $33.00. I know this is a Chinese razor :thumbdown:
$z_40-148CMC.jpg
$F40148SMS-STAG-PEARL-RAZOR_0002.jpg

And I found some Hen & Rooster razors, all of then have a SPAIN in the back, for about $50.00. The problem is, where the metal is manufactured, since Hen & Rooster was bought by FROST it may also be manufactured in China or Pakistan or somewhere else, maybe it's manufactured is Spain or even in Germany, I DON't KNOW. Also note that on the Hen & Rooster website (http://www.henandrooster.com/default.aspx?listtype=category&listvalue=Razors) there are models with SOLINGEN on them for $93, and there are models without SOLINGEN for $80 :huh:.

WITHOUT SOLINGEN (ebay)

$$(KGrHqF,!hME9ELeOV1dBPjYWfk,jw~~60_57.jpg
$$(KGrHqZHJCQE9qhGJ,sPBPjJ3cFi3!~~60_57.jpg

WITH SOLINGEN
(H&R website)
$z_401-RPB.jpg

So what is the best?

If someone know a place I can buy quality razors for a good price+shipping I would be very happy.

Looks like your first post so..... WELCOME TO BB!:w00t:

Just no... to all of them. I have seen them posted before or similar ones but no. If your going to work on a razor, let it be a vintage or a gold dollar. There are many other razors better than that. Gold dollars are Chinese but they will hold an edge better than those.

Your best bet is to look at the hobbyist/vendor forum and purchase a razor from there.

Is this your first straight? I would recommend Larry at whipped dog for his set ( and I live in Korea and shipping was not that big of an issue)

There's a thread going on about expensive razors http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...h-talk-about-dovo-and-other-higher-end-razors you should take a look. Members have chimed in and given so good input. I'll let someone else chime in but I would strongly advise not to look at these options.

Hello everyone.

I need some help to choose a razor, the problem is budget and shipping (international).
I was searching on ebay and the good razors like DOVO are at $140.00, so searching more I found two razors that I know aren't recommended but maybe with a little work can do a good shave:

The FROST 40th Anniversary straight razor for $33.00. I know this is a Chinese razor :thumbdown:
View attachment 336384
View attachment 336385

And I found some Hen & Rooster razors, all of then have a SPAIN in the back, for about $50.00. The problem is, where the metal is manufactured, since Hen & Rooster was bought by FROST it may also be manufactured in China or Pakistan or somewhere else, maybe it's manufactured is Spain or even in Germany, I DON't KNOW. Also note that on the Hen & Rooster website (http://www.henandrooster.com/default.aspx?listtype=category&listvalue=Razors) there are models with SOLINGEN on them for $93, and there are models without SOLINGEN for $80 :huh:.

WITHOUT SOLINGEN (ebay)

View attachment 336387
View attachment 336389

WITH SOLINGEN
(H&R website)
View attachment 336390

So what is the best?

If someone know a place I can buy quality razors for a good price+shipping I would be very happy.

I recommend if you are spending the money I would get this one. This was my razor and it is a great razor.

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=108&products_id=2062

theres always whipped dog sight unseen...not necessarily pretty, but functional. At least that is the advice I have gotten, I have yet to pull the trigger on a purchase though. my Slim has just been too much fun. :lol:

Thanks for the fast answer.

I decided to spend a little more, since a good straight razor can last for the rest of my life, its an investment.

I found this page: http://www.straightrazordesigns.com which ships internationally. Too bad many razors are out of stock.

I also found this page: http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Good_Straight_Razor_Brands suggesting the good brands, but the prices I found are very similar, so which is better:

- DOVO
- Thiers-Issard
- Böker
- Ralf Aust (was on straightrazordesigns.com but not on http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Good_Straight_Razor_Brands :huh:)
- Any other ????????

Buy locally:

B&B Hobbyists Classifieds

B&B Buy Sell Trade

You may think now "I just want ONE razor that will last the rest of my life..." and so you are willing to dish out $200-300 for it.

However, you WILL begin to itch for trying out different razors....If you start with a full hollow, you will have to try a wedge....if you start with a 5/8, you will hanker for seeing the glory of wiping your whiskers away with a 7/8...then you'll see that there are differences in Sheffield steel, Solignen steel, Swedish steel......oh, and wait a second...what's this? Japanese kamisori??? Oh yes, you'l want one of those too....

So, what I'm getting at is don't blow your entire wad on a single razor at least to begin with. Buy three different $100 razors (easily obtainable on the above linked classifieds), buy 6 different $50 razors....

You WILL be buying more than one razor.

Just ask anybody here.
:001_cool:

Last edited:
Buy locally:

B&B Hobbyists Classifieds

B&B Buy Sell Trade

You may think now "I just want ONE razor that will last the rest of my life..." and so you are willing to dish out $200-300 for it.

However, you WILL begin to itch for trying out different razors....If you start with a full hollow, you will have to try a wedge....if you start with a 5/8, you will hanker for seeing the glory of wiping your whiskers away with a 7/8...then you'll see that there are differences in Sheffield steel, Solignen steel, Swedish steel......oh, and wait a second...what's this? Japanese kamisori??? Oh yes, you'l want one of those too....

So, what I'm getting at is don't blow your entire wad on a single razor at least to begin with. Buy three different $100 razors (easily obtainable on the above linked classifieds), buy 6 different $50 razors....

Just ask anybody here.

+1,000 there is much truth to this statement. :lol:

Just ask anybody here.

But I only bought one razor a week.
I agree with casus4844, no to those ebay letter openers.
whipped dog is where most of us started down the wormhole.
where are you based? knowing where you are might help with vendors for a razor

I made a final decision and have just bought the Boker Straight razor stainless black for $133,44 including shipping.

I hope it will be shipped with no problems, it's a long journey to my country :boohoo:

Now I need to buy the hones, the leather and everything else :rolleyes: I already searched for all these items and preselected them.

When I receive my razor and everything else I will post my results and experiences.

THANK you for all the help I received.

Top Bottom