What's new

Is this ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
$hit

Anyone here not know what the above means?

I know I can't write the "F" word here, so is it ok for me to post a picture of that word in text on a sign or label?
Since I can't write the "F" word, can I just post a picture of two people copulating?

I know we've talked about it before, but does anyone think that substituting a letter in a foul word or posting a picture of the word somehow makes it ok at B&B?

There seems to be a rash recently of people doing the old "if you think this is inappropriate - please delete it" thing.
Actually - no. If you are tempted to write a sentence like that, save yourself the trouble and don't post it, or ask a Mod first.

If you feel a need to write "I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but" then chances are you're going to offend someone. Ask before you post, or don't post it at all.

And while we're on the subject - if you feel the need to post a picture of that cyclops zit you've got in the middle of your forehead, or the gashes from your encounter with a scary sharp blade which left you dripping blood into the sink, or the curious pattern that has developed on your feet from the South American Nail Fungus you caught on vacation - would it be too much trouble to ask you to at LEAST put the picture in a spoiler?

B&B has always prided itself on being family friendly. Whatever you post here at B&B ought to be of the category that you'd feel no discomfort sharing it with your child, your wife, your mom, or your family Priest or Pastor.
If you can't tell what would be acceptable to those people, you're probably not a good fit here at B&B and might want to consider other forums as your home.

I ask every member of B&B to make a renewed effort to consider what's in your post before you hit "submit" and to help all of your fellow members out by reporting posts that you feel "cross the line"
B&B is only as good as the members here permit it to be, and we are much better than that.

By and large, the members of B&B are some of the sharpest, literate people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Surely we can express ourselves without stooping to expletives and distasteful posts.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
We have had a lot of new members in the past few months for some reason. This is NOT to say that they are not as cordial as the ones who have been around the block a few times.

I will have to admit to saying "$h!+ happens" occasionally when referring to someone who has broken or damaged something. Not sure how off base this is since it is a "saying" that just happens to have a word in it.

I have an old yellowed post it note that has gone from monitor to monitor over the years with a single line of text that I try to follow on all web forums and newsgroups

"If you do not have anything constructive to add to the conversation, say nothing"

this has kept me out of trouble for over a decade..... so far....

For those who do not know how to report a post.

Look in the bottom left corner of the post you wish to report and you will see a small black triangle with an exclamation point in it.

Click that and the report post window will open

$report.gif

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks. And for educational purposes - a spoiler is quite easy;

Upload or link your picture.

Once uploaded or linked - before the text which contains the picture type;
[spoiler]

After the text which contains the picture type;
[/spoiler]

Done.

Don't forget to put a warning in there so people know they are about to see a weeper if they click the spoiler.

Now let me caveat this by saying

PUTTING A PICTURE IN A SPOILER DOES NOT RELIEVE THE POSTER OF THE RESPONSIBILITY OF NOT POSTING INAPPROPRIATE PICTURES.

Last edited:
Well said, Phil. I'm all for keeping the conversation here civilized and suitable for general audiences.

The suggestion to use a spoiler for on-topic-but-gory pictures is an excellent one. I don't think the toolbar has an icon for wrapping selected text in spoiler tags, so it may be helpful to remind people that the way to do it manually is:

full

When posted, the image will be hidden until you click the Show button, like this (warning: Gash photo [non-bloody]):

full

PS: Whoops, you beat me to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on! Or, perhaps "Write on!"

Nice tip on the spoiler. I don't know that'd I'd ever take a picture of a cut/nick/weeper, let alone post it. But hiding it for the squeamish is a nice gesture.

Good clarifications! Hopefully this will prevent some of this type of thing and make a lot less mess for mods to have to clean up.

To paraphrase luvmysuper:

You know what I noticed?

Being on B&B apparently means one has to have a stick up ones [sic] butt.

Maybe I need to rethink this. :laugh:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
To paraphrase luvmysuper:

You know what I noticed?

Being on B&B apparently means one has to have a stick up ones [sic] butt.

Maybe I need to rethink this. :laugh:

I think I was actually referring to going all natural, but if it makes you think twice before posting, this works for me too.
Being on B&B certainly is more fun than eating boiled tofu. :lol:

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Appreciate the comments guys. It's nice to see folks chiming in and understanding the intent.

I realize that everyone here is different, but I think saying crap instead of **** is less offensive to everybody and still gets the point across. I try in my daily life to not use these words (some days not succeeding), but don't think they have a place here.

Also, if you have to ask if something is offensive it probably is and shouldn't be posted

Well said Phil, there is little if anything written or said that offends me but not everyone is as I am and you addressing this will hopefully help us to be more considerate of others feelings. Sense and courtesy do not appear to be common but we can all endeavor to improve.

I do not understand all the fuss, not disrespectful to anyone, if a soap, if the one reporting the message word bothers you, send me an MP and edited without problem :wink2: He was very angry with the soap :thumbdown

Cheers.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I do not understand all the fuss, not disrespectful to anyone, if a soap, if the one reporting the message word bothers you, send me an MP and edited without problem :wink2: He was very angry with the soap :thumbdown

Cheers.

The "fuss" is you can't use those words to begin with. People shouldn't have to go behind and clean up other peoples messes.

If people put things like that and/or say to delete it if we think it's inappropriate, then they shouldn't be shocked when they get reprimanded or banned entirely. I think people forget that they can and will be permanently banned from the site for doing the above that Phil mentioned.

I've actually gotten to the point that "like" words are equally offensive. For example, if I say "Well fudge!" does anyone not know where it came from? Now this is personal, MY opinion only. I try not to use this type language at all. If the intent is there, the offense is there. IMHO.

"Well fudge!" does anyone not know where it came from?

1983 film directed by Bob Clark called A Christmas Story, when Ralph "Ralphie" Parker, the main protagonist of the film uttered THE swear word when he loses the lug nuts as his father is changing a flat. I think.. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom