What's new

Restoring an Esterbrook J

Crud - may have to upload a larger version.

$BKRozzCCcAA-nmD.jpg-large.jpg

As I feared, on 1 of the Esterbrooks that arrived I will need to refurbish it. Maybe new nib, and I'm pretty sure the sac is shot. Must get it disassembled -- it is being a bit fussy on first attempts.

I have a couple of Esties I have brought back to life, a red SJ and a J in fantastic condition. Infact, the J is probably my favorite pen! It wears a 2668 nib and has a fondness for vintage Skrip. Great pens!

-Xander

I hope nobody was waiting for me to fix this pen. :lol:

The Traveling Repair Kit is nowhere to be found, so I ordered three #16 sacs from the Pen Sac Company (hat tip to nemo for that suggestion). So now I need to find a little sac shellac and talc and I should be ready to go (more or less).

I hope nobody was waiting for me to fix this pen. :lol:

The Traveling Repair Kit is nowhere to be found, so I ordered three #16 sacs from the Pen Sac Company (hat tip to nemo for that suggestion). So now I need to find a little sac shellac and talc and I should be ready to go (more or less).

Shoot me a PM and I will get you some shellac on the way!

Tom

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Good show Tom! I was looking around for a suitable container before I read this.

Pity about the repair kit gone belly up.

www.pendemonium.com <--Sacs and shellac are on this site

I am currently working on doing the same thing to a copper J that I won. Didn't realize that soaking the whole pen will cause rust as I do it with so many of my modern pens, it's currently sitting in some soapy water at home...

I was flushing and cleaning pens on Friday when I noticed that the parts for my Esterbrook J were still in there, and that I had all of the components present to fix the pen. Then I remembered I still had this thread up and running. Oops.

I watched a video on how to replace the sac. It was about a five-minute job once I had all of the right tools out. I have the sac sitting next to me as it dries. Once that's done I'll put it together and see if I did it correctly.

I also have to clean up the rust off of the J-bar. I remember nemo said to soak the J-bar in water with a smidge of ammonia, so that's next on the list for tonight. Once that's done I'm looking forward to having the pen fully functional.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I also have to clean up the rust off of the J-bar. I remember nemo said to soak the J-bar in water with a smidge of ammonia, so that's next on the list for tonight. Once that's done I'm looking forward to having the pen fully functional.

I thought I said don't worry about it, don't pull it out unless it's failing. Anyway, a bit of a soak never hurt an Estie! Let us know how it goes.

We thought you fell off the other side of the planet, Mike!

I thought I said don't worry about it, don't pull it out unless it's failing. Anyway, a bit of a soak never hurt an Estie! Let us know how it goes.

We thought you fell off the other side of the planet, Mike!

I've been busy with other things (coach training retreats, weekend yoga seminars) and not enough money to spend on pens. I've since resolved the spending part - four new pens are on the way, and a fully functional J will make it effectively five. :biggrin1:

Oops. Just as I was about to fill up the pen, I read this and found out that the sac was too long.

I was able to take off the sac, cut it to the appropriate length, and reinstalled it. I should be ready to go tomorrow then.

I filled it this morning with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue. It's sitting in a disposable tray at home while I work, just in case I didn't do the sac replacement properly. I'll give it a run tonight to see how well it does.

Top Bottom