What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

New to the badger as a member but have been reading/consulting it for a while. Pipe smoker for the past few years on and off (started in college) cigar smoker ofcourse, favoring all things Perdomo.
My smoking and drinking tendencies are much like my lazy deer hunting strategy:...if it's Brown...it's down.
Been favoring my Peterson System pipes lately on the patio and Basil Hayden's in the bourbon glass.

Wet shaving brought me to the blade but the brown leaf finally convinced me to join!

Welcome!

New to the badger as a member but have been reading/consulting it for a while. Pipe smoker for the past few years on and off (started in college) cigar smoker ofcourse, favoring all things Perdomo.
My smoking and drinking tendencies are much like my lazy deer hunting strategy:...if it's Brown...it's down.
Been favoring my Peterson System pipes lately on the patio and Basil Hayden's in the bourbon glass.

Wet shaving brought me to the blade but the brown leaf finally convinced me to join!

Welcome! You will enjoy it here.

I've only smoked a hand full of cigars and only liked a couple of them. I have always loved the smell of a cigar and decided to do a little reading. Last night I smoked my first Arturo Fuente and I gotta say it was mighty fine. I have never thought about the mildness/boldness of a cigar which is probably why I didn't enjoy them, I just selected them based on the look. I also picked up a Macanudo Cafe and I will be smoking it tonight. I have several friends who smoke cigars and I hate having no idea what I'm smoking and I have even more taking a cigar out of a cigar box and not enjoying it.

I'm learning and enjoying the process

I've only smoked a hand full of cigars and only liked a couple of them. I have always loved the smell of a cigar and decided to do a little reading. Last night I smoked my first Arturo Fuente and I gotta say it was mighty fine. I have never thought about the mildness/boldness of a cigar which is probably why I didn't enjoy them, I just selected them based on the look. I also picked up a Macanudo Cafe and I will be smoking it tonight. I have several friends who smoke cigars and I hate having no idea what I'm smoking and I have even more taking a cigar out of a cigar box and not enjoying it.

I'm learning and enjoying the process

Welcome! We are all always learning and especially enjoying the process. Looking forward to seeing you more around here.

Hello, I'm new to B&B, joined to learn more about straight razor shaving. I've been a devotee to the brown leaf for 26 years or more. Smoked cigarettes for 24 years before finally kicking them out the door. Have been dipping Copenhagen Straight for a decade or two, just to satisfy the demon nicotine. Pipe smoking is my true enjoyment from the brown leaf. Mostly latakia blends, "English" or "Balkan" blends fill my rotation. Have collected 40 or so pipes, with Peterson holding the primary spot to celebrate my Irish heritage. I find the pipe, and the occasional cigar, to be a contemplative relaxing endeavor. Savoring the taste and smell while forgetting the worries and stresses of the world. Nothing can be so bad that a briar loaded with a latakia blend, enjoyed with a scotch cannot fix. :)

Hello, I'm new to B&B, joined to learn more about straight razor shaving. I've been a devotee to the brown leaf for 26 years or more. Smoked cigarettes for 24 years before finally kicking them out the door. Have been dipping Copenhagen Straight for a decade or two, just to satisfy the demon nicotine. Pipe smoking is my true enjoyment from the brown leaf. Mostly latakia blends, "English" or "Balkan" blends fill my rotation. Have collected 40 or so pipes, with Peterson holding the primary spot to celebrate my Irish heritage. I find the pipe, and the occasional cigar, to be a contemplative relaxing endeavor. Savoring the taste and smell while forgetting the worries and stresses of the world. Nothing can be so bad that a briar loaded with a latakia blend, enjoyed with a scotch cannot fix. :)

You sound like you were made to be a member here. Do you have a favorite style of Pete. I have to say that I am a fan of the Rocky Donegal. Also, the craftsman series that they've put out recently has piqued my interest too. Welcome to the BL!

You sound like you were made to be a member here. Do you have a favorite style of Pete. I have to say that I am a fan of the Rocky Donegal. Also, the craftsman series that they've put out recently has piqued my interest too. Welcome to the BL!

Senshi, I don't have a favorite Pete, although I'm pretty fond of my Sherlock Holmes XL11. I've got a handful of various Pete's, and I think my next one will need to be one of the spigot ones. I have two of the Rocky Donegal's and they smoke quite nicely. The only ones I have that I don't really care for are two vintage system pipes with small bowls that fill up with too much moisture.

Thanks for the welcome!

Senshi, I don't have a favorite Pete, although I'm pretty fond of my Sherlock Holmes XL11. I've got a handful of various Pete's, and I think my next one will need to be one of the spigot ones. I have two of the Rocky Donegal's and they smoke quite nicely. The only ones I have that I don't really care for are two vintage system pipes with small bowls that fill up with too much moisture.

Thanks for the welcome!
Welcome, brother. System Petes require thorough cleanings at regular intervals. The sump should be able to handle the moisture. They sometimes will go sour in the middle of a bowl if not properly cleaned. I've found using Everclear in a retort, then plenty of Qtips with alternating wet (Everclear) and dry ones if the pipe is an estate or just neglected. Then, swab the sump with Qtips and pipe cleaners after every bowl. This may help you enjoy the system pipe more.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
So, have all the cob-lovers heard the news that Walker Briar Works will no longer be making Forever Stems? They're getting out of that business to focus on restoring estates. The new manufacturer will be Log Cabin Pipe Works, owned by Pat Morgan, wife of Phil Morgan, Missouri Meerschaum GM.

Personally, it doesn't make much difference to me. I don't mind the plastic stems that come standard, and I only have one Forever Stem myself. But it's kind of exciting anyway, and of interest to those that do use them.

Personally, it doesn't make much difference to me. I don't mind the plastic stems that come standard, and I only have one Forever Stem myself. But it's kind of exciting anyway, and of interest to those that do use them.

This will open up the possibility of MM being able to make some truly custom pipes. Maybe some discounts too since the corn cob and fancy stem can now come in the same shipment.

I'm new here but not new to pipe smoking, I have reviewed many cigars and pipe tobaccos on my YouTube channel.
I prefer MM cobs or my custom Jake Hackert cobs with antler stems and vulcanite bits, mostly because they're low cost great smokers so I can spend my money on excellent $30+/lb tobacco! I have known guys who just have to smoke out of top price briar, but if the humble cob is good enough for the like of Samuel Langhorne Clemens and Doug MacArthur, it's good enough for anyone!

I'm new here but not new to pipe smoking, I have reviewed many cigars and pipe tobaccos on my YouTube channel.
I prefer MM cobs or my custom Jake Hackert cobs with antler stems and vulcanite bits, mostly because they're low cost great smokers so I can spend my money on excellent $30+/lb tobacco! I have known guys who just have to smoke out of top price briar, but if the humble cob is good enough for the like of Samuel Langhorne Clemens and Doug MacArthur, it's good enough for anyone!

Welcome to the BL! Cobs by no means a lesser pipe. I'm a fan of the Mark Twain myself.

Pounds of tobacco sound great, and we love pictures here...:001_smile

I went to a doctor yesterday. While filling out forms I got to the dreaded smoking section, where I hate to be lumped in with addicts. Much to my surprise and relief there was a checkbox for cigarettes, a checkbox for pipe, and a checkbox for "other". How did pipe make the cut but cigar didn't? Glad to see it there though, I feel honest enough with just "pipe" selected.

Found mold in my jar of EMP... so that went into the trash.

It was my first run in with mold so far in my dealings with tobacco. At least it wasn't a jar of Penzance.

I went to a doctor yesterday. While filling out forms I got to the dreaded smoking section, where I hate to be lumped in with addicts. Much to my surprise and relief there was a checkbox for cigarettes, a checkbox for pipe, and a checkbox for "other". How did pipe make the cut but cigar didn't? Glad to see it there though, I feel honest enough with just "pipe" selected.

That is indeed very interesting. I would love to talk with the person who made that a separate box. Did you mention it to your Dr.?

Found mold in my jar of EMP... so that went into the trash.

It was my first run in with mold so far in my dealings with tobacco. At least it wasn't a jar of Penzance.

Ouch. Was it just the 50g tin jarred up?

That is indeed very interesting. I would love to talk with the person who made that a separate box. Did you mention it to your Dr.?

No, it's not my usual doctor and I was in pain and in a hurry.

I don't know what happened. I woke up feeling fine, I was fine all morning, I didn't do anything strenuous, then my back started hurting. It felt like the usual overuse back pain I get from too much heavy lifting except I did no such thing. Then within an hour or two it got much worse than usual and I couldn't stand up. I even lost some mobility in one leg -- not pain, not stuck, just the muscle wasn't listening to the command from my brain or something. That's when I decided I better get to a walk-in clinic. They took an X-ray and saw nothing, prescribed painkiller and NSAID, and sent me on my way. That was Saturday. Sunday was tough. Today was less awful. I'll stay out of work tomorrow but I think I'll try to go in on Wednesday.

Top Bottom