What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

I joined B&B when I started wetshaving a few years ago. I'm ashamed of my lack of participation in the community but my excuse is that I lived and worked on a cruise ship for most of that time and regularly accessing the internet was cost prohibitive. My relationship with tobacco is a complicated one. I smoked cigarettes for over 5 years and I've been nicotine free for going on 4 years now. My gateway into cigarettes was cigars and pipes but I do not blame the finer tobaccos for my decline into cigarette smoking. However when I finally quit smoking cigarettes I thought it best to give up all tobacco. A few weeks ago I asked my brother to send me my Peterson and an old favorite bulk tobacco from my hometown tobacco shop. The Peterson is the 2009 St. Patrick's Day Commemorative, a gift from my father for my 21st birthday (March 17, 2009) a beautiful birds eye maple sherlock. The tobacco is Black Cordial, a sweet cavendish with just the right amount of cherry and a hint of burley. I'm tentatively dipping my feet back into the tobacco waters and so I thought I'd pop my head in here at the Brown Leaf. When it comes to cigars I don't like it too cool and mild. I prefer medium to dark maduros, and robustos like Punch. Traveling on the ship allowed me access to plenty of cubans so I occasionally indulged.

Just a side note, anyone interested in giving up cigarettes should consider the book Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking.

I joined B&B when I started wetshaving a few years ago. I'm ashamed of my lack of participation in the community but my excuse is that I lived and worked on a cruise ship for most of that time and regularly accessing the internet was cost prohibitive. My relationship with tobacco is a complicated one. I smoked cigarettes for over 5 years and I've been nicotine free for going on 4 years now. My gateway into cigarettes was cigars and pipes but I do not blame the finer tobaccos for my decline into cigarette smoking. However when I finally quit smoking cigarettes I thought it best to give up all tobacco. A few weeks ago I asked my brother to send me my Peterson and an old favorite bulk tobacco from my hometown tobacco shop. The Peterson is the 2009 St. Patrick's Day Commemorative, a gift from my father for my 21st birthday (March 17, 2009) a beautiful birds eye maple sherlock. The tobacco is Black Cordial, a sweet cavendish with just the right amount of cherry and a hint of burley. I'm tentatively dipping my feet back into the tobacco waters and so I thought I'd pop my head in here at the Brown Leaf. When it comes to cigars I don't like it too cool and mild. I prefer medium to dark maduros, and robustos like Punch. Traveling on the ship allowed me access to plenty of cubans so I occasionally indulged.

Just a side note, anyone interested in giving up cigarettes should consider the book Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking.
Welcome to the BL.

Drop in to the Pipe of the Day thread and snap a pic of that Peterson! :thumbup1:

Hello, Brown Leaf. I just recently joined B&B and am new to wet shaving. But, I have been smoking cigars for around 20 years and pipes for about 10. These days I primarily focus on pipes. I am still a big fan of aromatics, but I also enjoy Latakia mixtures and VaPers. My current favorite tobacco is Central Park Stroll by Drew Estate smoked in one of my Bjarne Vikings.

Thanks for setting up this subforum. I look forward to joining the conversation.

Hello, Brown Leaf. I just recently joined B&B and am new to wet shaving. But, I have been smoking cigars for around 20 years and pipes for about 10. These days I primarily focus on pipes. I am still a big fan of aromatics, but I also enjoy Latakia mixtures and VaPers. My current favorite tobacco is Central Park Stroll by Drew Estate smoked in one of my Bjarne Vikings.

Thanks for setting up this subforum. I look forward to joining the conversation.
Welcome aboard! You'll find many fine members in this corner of B&B as well.

Post some pics and feel free to jump in anywhere. :thumbup1:

I've been a cigar smoker on and off for most of my adult life (19 years!), but it has recently come back.

I prefer short, fat, flavorful cigars. 4-5.5 inches, 50-60 ring. I venture outside of that when the situation dictates.

Love me some infused cigars, as well.

I'm gathering my gear to take a plunge down the pipe rabbit hole... God have mercy upon my wallet...

Hey guys,

I'm really new to B&B and came as a result of wanting to join the shaving forums.

Anyhow, over the last year or so, I've taken up cigar smoking as something I like to do during the holidays, once in a while, etc. I first started off with the Montecristos (both the yellow and white label varieties), and continued to do so until yesterday. For a while now, I've been wanting to pay a visit to a local cigar shop/lounge to get some recommendations. My preferences are a mild-medium cigar, sweet flavored (a la cinnamon) and has a consistent flavor and strength output (mellow I guess).

Last night, I got a chance to visit a local place and asked for their suggestions. They showed me the Tabak Especial Dulce Connecticut Toro. The owner said that it would be the best one to go with because it would taste just like a caramel macchiato. So I took it home, lit it up, and really started enjoying it - that is until after reaching the halfway point, when the flavor profile changed dramatically. The cigar went from being a very mellow and sweet one to being a very bitter and harsh one. All of the sweetness was gone by then. I couldn’t finish it at that point, so I finished my session early. So this leads me to ask the question - what's a similar tasting (or even better tasting) cigar out there that has more consistency in its flavor output and strength?

Thank you for having me here!

One trick you can use when a cigar starts to turn bitter and harsh is to purge the cigar by blowing air out through the cigar. I've tried this and it's turned a cigar that's starting to become unpleasant into a real treat.

Hey guys,

I'm really new to B&B and came as a result of wanting to join the shaving forums.

Anyhow, over the last year or so, I've taken up cigar smoking as something I like to do during the holidays, once in a while, etc. I first started off with the Montecristos (both the yellow and white label varieties), and continued to do so until yesterday. For a while now, I've been wanting to pay a visit to a local cigar shop/lounge to get some recommendations. My preferences are a mild-medium cigar, sweet flavored (a la cinnamon) and has a consistent flavor and strength output (mellow I guess).

Last night, I got a chance to visit a local place and asked for their suggestions. They showed me the Tabak Especial Dulce Connecticut Toro. The owner said that it would be the best one to go with because it would taste just like a caramel macchiato. So I took it home, lit it up, and really started enjoying it - that is until after reaching the halfway point, when the flavor profile changed dramatically. The cigar went from being a very mellow and sweet one to being a very bitter and harsh one. All of the sweetness was gone by then. I couldn’t finish it at that point, so I finished my session early. So this leads me to ask the question - what's a similar tasting (or even better tasting) cigar out there that has more consistency in its flavor output and strength?

Thank you for having me here!
Welcome aboard! I can't help you with a cigar recommendation, as I don't smoke flavored cigars, I use a pipe for flavored 'baccy. It's possible with your being relatively new to the hobby that you may be smoking too fast and getting the cigar too hot. That will cause the bitter nasty flavored you described. It'll do the same to regular cigars, as well as pipe tobacco. I've been puffing pipes and cigars for 25+ years and still do it on occasion. You might give that stick another try, just to be sure. Of course, there's always a chance that you had a dud and the next one will be great. I've heard good things from some guys at my local shop about Cojimar flavored cigars, you might check out what they have to offer. Happy hunting.

One trick you can use when a cigar starts to turn bitter and harsh is to purge the cigar by blowing air out through the cigar. I've tried this and it's turned a cigar that's starting to become unpleasant into a real treat.

Thank you Chris! That's something I never thought of, but I'll definitely start doing that from now on.

Welcome aboard! I can't help you with a cigar recommendation, as I don't smoke flavored cigars, I use a pipe for flavored 'baccy. It's possible with your being relatively new to the hobby that you may be smoking too fast and getting the cigar too hot. That will cause the bitter nasty flavored you described. It'll do the same to regular cigars, as well as pipe tobacco. I've been puffing pipes and cigars for 25+ years and still do it on occasion. You might give that stick another try, just to be sure. Of course, there's always a chance that you had a dud and the next one will be great. I've heard good things from some guys at my local shop about Cojimar flavored cigars, you might check out what they have to offer. Happy hunting.

-

Argonaut - about smoking the cigar too fast - that's very true. I have been going through Toros on average of about an hour and a half or so, but I know at times I'm rushing it because I'm afraid of the cigar going out or tasting ashy. Lol, little did I know about this purging thing, so I'm going to give this technique a try next time.

Thank you for the recommendations!

When purging the cigar, it is said to be helpful to try to pull some fresh air into your mouth first rather than using breath from your lungs. I'm not sure how realistic it is but I try to do it.

I've been mainly buying tinned pipe tobacco and haven't been transferring to jars yet, about how long should I expect a tin to keep this way? I've probably made the mistake of opening too many tins of different tobacco at once and not smoking them up fast enough.

Also, how many leading blends have Latakia in them, all the ones that sound good to me seem to be a lat blend.

Hi Everyone,

i joined B&B about 1 month ago when I was first learning how to use a DE razor. I am an ex Marlboro Light smoker. I've been smoking cigars on and off for approximately 20 year. I tend to like Fuentes. Anyway, I must have caught a glimpse of a thread regarding pipe smoking. I always wanted to try smoking pipe tobacco, so I purchased 3 MM corn cob pipes. I also purchased Lane 1-Q, Dunhill Elizabeth Mixture, captain black gold and captain black Royal. At first, I didn't like smoking from a pipe because it lacked TH draw similar to cigs and cigars. After a couple of days, I really started to enjoy it. Right now, my favorite is the Dunhill. After reading these posts, I was surprised to read that there are strictly corn cob smokers. Eventually, I will get a briar pipe but for now corn cob will do.

I look forward to reading posts in the BL about everyone's favorite pipe and tobacco.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Hi Everyone,

i joined B&B about 1 month ago when I was first learning how to use a DE razor. I am an ex Marlboro Light smoker. I've been smoking cigars on and off for approximately 20 year. I tend to like Fuentes. Anyway, I must have caught a glimpse of a thread regarding pipe smoking. I always wanted to try smoking pipe tobacco, so I purchased 3 MM corn cob pipes. I also purchased Lane 1-Q, Dunhill Elizabeth Mixture, captain black gold and captain black Royal. At first, I didn't like smoking from a pipe because it lacked TH draw similar to cigs and cigars. After a couple of days, I really started to enjoy it. Right now, my favorite is the Dunhill. After reading these posts, I was surprised to read that there are strictly corn cob smokers. Eventually, I will get a briar pipe but for now corn cob will do.

I look forward to reading posts in the BL about everyone's favorite pipe and tobacco.

Welcome to he BL, and sounds like you've made a great start already!

Top Bottom