What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

Hello all,

I recently joined B&B to learn about straight shaving and have now found this plethora of information about all the good things in life. I was a Marlboro Red smoker for just over 10 years then found out I was having a son and decided to quit. That's been almost two years now. I still occasionally, though not as often as I'd like, enjoy a cigar. When I was first quitting I started vaping. Went from a basic pen vaporizer to a Blackhawk mod and plume vail to finally my favorite a colonial mod with a Kennedy rda. I don't vape much any more either now. But I do still when I get a craving for a Red.

Joey

Hello all,

I recently joined B&B to learn about straight shaving and have now found this plethora of information about all the good things in life. I was a Marlboro Red smoker for just over 10 years then found out I was having a son and decided to quit. That's been almost two years now. I still occasionally, though not as often as I'd like, enjoy a cigar. When I was first quitting I started vaping. Went from a basic pen vaporizer to a Blackhawk mod and plume vail to finally my favorite a colonial mod with a Kennedy rda. I don't vape much any more either now. But I do still when I get a craving for a Red.

Joey
Welcome aboard! We're glad to have you. My vaping (currently a Tugboat V2 on a 40W Vaporflask) waxes and wanes. I'll vape for a few months, and then lose interest for a few. I used to smoke Reds myself as well. Fortunately I don't crave them anymore.

What do you like in Cigars?

I've been developing an interest in cigars over the last few weeks. I'm 34, and have never smoked anything in my life unless you count copious quantities of second hand cigarettes. I just have this vision in my head of grilling up some fine ribeye steaks, enjoying them, and then relaxing on the back porch in my custom cedar Adirondack chair slowly enjoying a nice manly cigar.

As a life long non-smoker the idea of starting (though it would be very infrequent) kind of scares me. I'm mostly worried about what kind of health effects there may be. I figure I would at most have one a week, maybe one every other. Logically I wouldn't think that one a week starting at 34 years old would do much harm if any. Emotionally I'm worried that I'll die of cancer 3 days after my first cigar :laugh:

The other hurdle is getting the idea past my wife...:001_unsur

I've been developing an interest in cigars over the last few weeks. I'm 34, and have never smoked anything in my life unless you count copious quantities of second hand cigarettes. I just have this vision in my head of grilling up some fine ribeye steaks, enjoying them, and then relaxing on the back porch in my custom cedar Adirondack chair slowly enjoying a nice manly cigar.

As a life long non-smoker the idea of starting (though it would be very infrequent) kind of scares me. I'm mostly worried about what kind of health effects there may be. I figure I would at most have one a week, maybe one every other. Logically I wouldn't think that one a week starting at 34 years old would do much harm if any. Emotionally I'm worried that I'll die of cancer 3 days after my first cigar :laugh:

The other hurdle is getting the idea past my wife...:001_unsur

1.The first one is easy. Well, sorta. Everyone in this forum has assessed the risks and made the conscious decision to smoke. A nice cigar or a bowl of pipe tobacco once a week or so is nothing. Your life insurance company may say otherwise, though. :mad3:

2. You're on your own there, buddy.

WOW ! I saw Brown Leaf on some badges , but had no idea , started looking , Home at Last ! I haven't checked out The Nib , or anything , yet , but I have more Pipes ... than a Tobacconist Shop ! I couldn't remember how many ! James Upshaw , Savinelli , Stanwell , Comoy , Astley's , W.O.Larson's , Churchill , Charatan , ... more than I can remember ! And Tobacco to match . Always wanted a Dunhill , but I don't think I ever got one or I'd remember , but many are Collectors Items , and rare . I had PAD like a crazy woman over shoes ! I've got tobacco cellared , some in a humidor Luxury Bullseye Flake reviving it . It's Balkan Supreme , and English with Latakia , mostly , now , but I like some Virginias , also . My usual pipe (the go to) , I can't remember what it is ? I need great light and a magnifying glass , but it's a Billiard straight with an ever so slight bend in the bit . Working on a tin of Mac Baren Plumcake Navy Blend presently , with an unopened tin of Erinmore Flake (can believe I've never opened or tried that I recall) , if I want to change it up .

This is my first time to venture in , This is Great ! I'm a veteran , but just joining the club . Stogies are nice occasionally , too , but my brother supplies his cubans . ... this reminds me I need to do some reaming , cleaning , and buffing on several . Glad to find this Oasis .

Cheers and Happy Trails !

WOW ! I saw Brown Leaf on some badges , but had no idea , started looking , Home at Last ! I haven't checked out The Nib , or anything , yet , but I have more Pipes ... than a Tobacconist Shop ! I couldn't remember how many ! James Upshaw , Savinelli , Stanwell , Comoy , Astley's , W.O.Larson's , Churchill , Charatan , ... more than I can remember ! And Tobacco to match . Always wanted a Dunhill , but I don't think I ever got one or I'd remember , but many are Collectors Items , and rare . I had PAD like a crazy woman over shoes ! I've got tobacco cellared , some in a humidor Luxury Bullseye Flake reviving it . It's Balkan Supreme , and English with Latakia , mostly , now , but I like some Virginias , also . My usual pipe (the go to) , I can't remember what it is ? I need great light and a magnifying glass , but it's a Billiard straight with an ever so slight bend in the bit . Working on a tin of Mac Baren Plumcake Navy Blend presently , with an unopened tin of Erinmore Flake (can believe I've never opened or tried that I recall) , if I want to change it up .

This is my first time to venture in , This is Great ! I'm a veteran , but just joining the club . Stogies are nice occasionally , too , but my brother supplies his cubans . ... this reminds me I need to do some reaming , cleaning , and buffing on several . Glad to find this Oasis .

Cheers and Happy Trails !
Welcome, Michael!

There's a rule around here, though...pics or it didn't happen!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Agreed! A big welcome, and please post pics so we can drool over your collection.

Thanks for the Welcome ! I didn't think ... always the problem , never thought about that , but I'm not a photographer or computer aficionado , but I did finally figure out how to post a couple of pics trying to join AOM , they have my James Upshaws in them . I'll try to do more with more stuff , but I'll take requests . My place looks like a teenager's bedroom presently (embarrassing) , but I'll try getting my first one or two pictures up over here . ... The Merkurs , Simpson Classic 2 , TOBS soap , IP's , Corona Old Boy , and the James Upshaws ...

$IMG_0663.jpg

Here's a smidgin more , some tobacco (a few of what's cellared) , and a few of the Pipes (Nonpariel the collection , a Astley's , W.O.Larson , Comoy Limited Special addition , and Poker , Charatan , a Free Hand Nordic , and others) ...

$IMG_0668.JPG

Yeah , it Happened ... PAD ! TAD ! This is maybe 1/10th , Crazy I know ! Stawell Bamboo and Ashley's pencil woodstock in the front , W.O.Larson and Charatan in the rest/ashtray with the pipe nail and knife , Nordic Freehand Plateau on top of the Mac Baron's Plumcake in the middle , the Savinelli Nonpareils on both rests on either side , The Churchill , and Comoy Poker + other Stanwells in the back , plus some of the samples of the tobacco cellared ... Oh My !
... yeah ... . Do I qualify ?

Top Bottom