What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

Wave.. Checking in.

I'm an occasional brown leafer. I have a smallish humidor with my cigars that I occasionally indulge in - Most of it's Cuban, Cohibas (Robustos and a few Siglo s) Partagas 4's, HR Uppman magnum 50's, Ramone Allones, A few Romeos and Montoyas, and a few other
random ones that age nicely until I decide to have the occasional smoke. ;)

I'm pipe curious - mainly to take something along with me on backcountry adventures, or occasional sojurns... An aquiantance
had some frog morton on a trip recently and I found it very pleasant, but have never dove in due to the learning curve..

I'm around here mostly because I've become str8 addicted..

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wave.. Checking in.

I'm an occasional brown leafer. I have a smallish humidor with my cigars that I occasionally indulge in - Most of it's Cuban, Cohibas (Robustos and a few Siglo s) Partagas 4's, HR Uppman magnum 50's, Ramone Allones, A few Romeos and Montoyas, and a few other

I'm pipe curious - mainly to take something along with me on backcountry adventures, or occasional sojurns... An aquiantance
had some frog morton on a trip recently and I found it very pleasant, but have never dove in due to the learning curve..

Welcome. Get yourself a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe and some Frog Morton (since you seem to like it) and join in.

Wave.. Checking in.

Welcome to the BL!

I'll echo what Owen said and suggest the MM corn cob as well. Frog Morton Cellar is also very popular.

And remember, lots of pictures :001_smile

Welcome to the BL!

I'll echo what Owen said and suggest the MM corn cob as well. Frog Morton Cellar is also very popular.

And remember, lots of pictures :001_smile

I'm assuming phat is in Canada, based on his profile, and his Cubans. If that's the case, as I understand it (from my local B&M guy), we're not technically able to get/buy Frog Morton Cellar in Canada. We can get any of the other FM blends, but the stave of wood in the cellar is not allowed to cross our borders, and thus, neither is the tobacco in the tin with it.

With that said, I've got a tin of it that was shipped cross border, but Cellar doesn't appear to be available at the B&M's I've visited.

Definitely agree on getting a cob. They're great smokers, are dirt cheap, and are readily available.

Wave.. Checking in.

To add to what the others have said, your learning curve with a pipe will be a bit less since you are already used to slowing down and appreciating cigars. The MM cobs are a great starter pipe for what you are looking for, it sounds like. Inexpensive to pick up and low maintenance compared to other options.

I'm assuming phat is in Canada, based on his profile, and his Cubans. If that's the case, as I understand it (from my local B&M guy), we're not technically able to get/buy Frog Morton Cellar in Canada. We can get any of the other FM blends, but the stave of wood in the cellar is not allowed to cross our borders, and thus, neither is the tobacco in the tin with it.

With that said, I've got a tin of it that was shipped cross border, but Cellar doesn't appear to be available at the B&M's I've visited.

Definitely agree on getting a cob. They're great smokers, are dirt cheap, and are readily available.

Yes, I'm in Canada - Alberta. Part of the learning curve is finding anywhere to buy the stuff here that isn't goofily priced. Cigars are easier
what with the way cigarchief used to be, and the fact that I do travel internationally enough I can often snag stuff duty free.

Another vote for Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes, or their Ozark hardwood which is equally low-maintenance and priced but looks more classy if you aren't into the cob look.

FM Cellar is everybody's favorite but the entire Frog Morton series is great, you can't go wrong.

Consider also almost any "Balkan" blend, Hearth & Home WhiteKnight, and Boswell Northwoods if you can get it.

Yes, I'm in Canada - Alberta. Part of the learning curve is finding anywhere to buy the stuff here that isn't goofily priced. Cigars are easier
what with the way cigarchief used to be, and the fact that I do travel internationally enough I can often snag stuff duty free.

I'm moving from NS to AB at the end of the month. Edmonton to be exact.

If you're in Edmonton, I understand there's a good tobacconist on Whyte Ave, and another in Sherwood Park. Haven't personally been to either (wasn't a pipe smoker when I lived there previously).

If you're in Calgary, there's a good one on Stephen (8th) Ave, and a decent on in Bridgeland near the Starbucks.

As for pricing, I've ordered online from both 4noggins.com and smokingpipes.com with great results. Just keep your order to a few tins/pouches, and you should be set. The prices are much better (even with the current exchange rates), and of the 15-20 packages I've received, not one has been hit with duty crossing the border.

Just recently joined B&B after repeated visits for shave kit reviews. Found Brown Leaf and was like "two things I like in one place, bonus!". Anyway, been smoking pipes for about a year and a half. Started to get the occasional nic fix after I quit dipping. I would call myself an infrequent smoker. Tend to gravitate towards Missouri Meerschaum (I'm from MO) pipes. Like the way they smoke and can't beat the price, plus I like supporting local. As far as tobaccos I tend towards aromatics, especially McClellan, because that's what my local shop stocked when I started (and also they smell amazing).

Just recently joined B&B after repeated visits for shave kit reviews. Found Brown Leaf and was like "two things I like in one place, bonus!". Anyway, been smoking pipes for about a year and a half. Started to get the occasional nic fix after I quit dipping. I would call myself an infrequent smoker. Tend to gravitate towards Missouri Meerschaum (I'm from MO) pipes. Like the way they smoke and can't beat the price, plus I like supporting local. As far as tobaccos I tend towards aromatics, especially McClellan, because that's what my local shop stocked when I started (and also they smell amazing).

Well it seems you're in the right place...now :laugh:

Have you ever been to the MM factory? Do they even do tours? :bored: We have a lot of corn cob fans here and it's usually the first recommendation for a newbie given their reputation for being great smokers. You're in good company.

Welcome!

No!!! It was one of my hopeful plans for a future U.S. trip. Scratch that one off the list then.

He only said he wasn't sure on the tours, not that they didn't give them. Best bet would be to contact the company rep themselves and ask well ahead of time if you know you'll be in that area.

I find that I am a strange person. I enjoy everything that is considered antiquated and old fashioned. I dress nice, carry a pocket watch most days, wet shave with a DE (no SR yet), write with fountain pens, and plan on (when I am of the appropriate age) taking up pipe smoking. I have done plenty of research, and apparently pipe smoking isn't terrible for you (as apparently most pipe smokers hold the smoke in their mouth, meaning no lungs being killed), and I like the smell of pipe smoke (the one time I smelled it, oddly enough at Disney world), so I figure that smoking the occasional pipe would be very fitting to my other mannerisms...

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I find that I am a strange person. I enjoy everything that is considered antiquated and old fashioned. I dress nice, carry a pocket watch most days, wet shave with a DE (no SR yet), write with fountain pens, and plan on (when I am of the appropriate age) taking up pipe smoking. I have done plenty of research, and apparently pipe smoking isn't terrible for you (as apparently most pipe smokers hold the smoke in their mouth, meaning no lungs being killed), and I like the smell of pipe smoke (the one time I smelled it, oddly enough at Disney world), so I figure that smoking the occasional pipe would be very fitting to my other mannerisms...
Welcome to the Brown Leaf. Take the time to look around and learn some things, but don't be so eager to take up a pipe just yet. Make no mistake, "less bad" still isn't "good." While the negative health effects of cigarettes may be contrasted with those of pipes and cigars, no one here will claim that pipes are healthy. Smoke is smoke, and it's bad for you. Pipe-smokers may not intentionally inhale, but you still have to breathe, and all that air has to come past your pipe. You'll always inhale some. Even if the risk of lung cancer is less, you still have to contend with mouth and throat cancer. What I'm saying is that smoking is a hobby that entails certain risks, and shouldn't be taken lightly. It certainly shouldn't be an affectation. Don't take it up just because it fits your mannerisms, or you like the smell. (BTW, that smell is called the "room note," and you won't smell that when you're smoking. It's really only a consideration if you're smoking around other people.) It's like getting a tattoo: you really have to want it. Unlike a tattoo, if you don't like it, you can be done with it, but you shouldn't stick with it just because it looks cool. You have to enjoy it; that's the point. And it's a decision you'll have to make on your own; we won't (and can't) encourage you to take up the leaf. But when you're of age, if you decide that you will partake (don't ask us if you should), we will gladly offer advice.

If all of the above seems a bit discouraging, remember that we're a friendly bunch here. Smoking is all about relaxing, and as such standards (not rules) are a bit relaxed around here. We're a bit more tolerant of thread drift, because a good conversation might break out, and the thread will drift back to the original topic in its own good time. Taking your age into consideration, I think you asking for (and us giving) advice would be against the rules, but unless your very presence here in the BL is also against the rules, I think you'd be welcome to participate in any general chit-chat. We're always glad to have company.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Welcome to the Brown Leaf. Take the time to look around and learn some things, but don't be so eager to take up a pipe just yet. Make no mistake, "less bad" still isn't "good." While the negative health effects of cigarettes may be contrasted with those of pipes and cigars, no one here will claim that pipes are healthy. Smoke is smoke, and it's bad for you. Pipe-smokers may not intentionally inhale, but you still have to breathe, and all that air has to come past your pipe. You'll always inhale some. Even if the risk of lung cancer is less, you still have to contend with mouth and throat cancer. What I'm saying is that smoking is a hobby that entails certain risks, and shouldn't be taken lightly. It certainly shouldn't be an affectation. Don't take it up just because it fits your mannerisms, or you like the smell. (BTW, that smell is called the "room note," and you won't smell that when you're smoking. It's really only a consideration if you're smoking around other people.) It's like getting a tattoo: you really have to want it. Unlike a tattoo, if you don't like it, you can be done with it, but you shouldn't stick with it just because it looks cool. You have to enjoy it; that's the point. And it's a decision you'll have to make on your own; we won't (and can't) encourage you to take up the leaf. But when you're of age, if you decide that you will partake (don't ask us if you should), we will gladly offer advice.

If all of the above seems a bit discouraging, remember that we're a friendly bunch here. Smoking is all about relaxing, and as such standards (not rules) are a bit relaxed around here. We're a bit more tolerant of thread drift, because a good conversation might break out, and the thread will drift back to the original topic in its own good time. Taking your age into consideration, I think you asking for (and us giving) advice would be against the rules, but unless your very presence here in the BL is also against the rules, I think you'd be welcome to participate in any general chit-chat. We're always glad to have company.
I agree with everything said here.

Make no mistake, "less bad" still isn't "good." While the negative health effects of cigarettes may be contrasted with those of pipes and cigars, no one here will claim that pipes are healthy. Smoke is smoke, and it's bad for you.

Good advice

That said, welcome.

OK, so I'll add what I found doing the research, and I will encourage any and everyone to do it as well. There has been zero evidence of any correlation between pipe smoking where you do not inhale and any negative health effects, be it lungs, mouth, or throat. One bit they found even showed that pipe smokers had a longer general life expectancy than outright non-smokers. Again, that applied to non-inhaling pipe smokers only.

I won't encourage anyone not interested in pipes to try them, and I do highly encourage looking up info on pipe smoking and effects for yourself. Just wanted to put out there what I discovered when I was looking into it all.

Top Bottom